Ellen to 'Idol' Fans -- Don't Hate Me

9/10/2009 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen DeGeneresEllen DeGeneres made a plea to "Idol" nation today -- telling fans that she's not to blame for Paula Abdul's departure from the show.

A seemingly excited Ellen called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning, where she told Ryan she doesn't want people to think she's "evil" for taking Paula's job.

Though Paula has yet to comment on the switch, Ellen also said, "I hope Paula is okay with it."

Whadda-Do

Ellen DeGenitals is not funny. She steals her style from Bob Newhart. It has already been done. Why this cow keeps getting lucky breaks is beyond me. Terrible choice for Idol. Glad I never watched it in the first place.

DS

Laughing at all of the folks claiming that Ellen shouldn't be on the show because she has no musical credentials.

It's AMERICAN FREAKING IDOL.

streetdude

I believe Paula's downfall was her drug abuse, Which showed up on the show several times, I hope Paula gets the help she need's

veronica

Maybe Ellen has no music talent, but she keeps it real like Simon. Now, we need to get rid of Randy. I can't stand him. He's a teenager wanna be with his stupid comments like,"I love you Dog"..what the hell?.. ur what?, almost 50? Grow up "dude". Ur not young anymore. Good luck and much luv to Ellen....and Paula...Thank God ur leavin'. I couldn't stand ur fake comments and ur music, well, that's another story.

.............

I;m getting real tired of always hearing about this she-man and how wonderful she is. The only reason she is where she is is because of the powerful forces of gays in Hollywood. I admit she can be funny, but as someone pointed out that was Newhart's style she adopted. Other than that she can't sing, act, or dance. And did someone say she has great style in clothing? She has had the same haircut for years and wears the same suits in different colors like hillary Clinton.

amber

she has said herself that she is going in to judge for the 'everyday' people... not as a person with a music background. i'm happy about this decision. i stopped watching AI after season 3 because of paula and her craziness. you can't get a straight honest answer out of her.

Janet

Bad move! No experience in field, did lousy on SYTYCDance as judge. Jokes weren't even good (and I love her as comedian). Done, done, done. No more AI for me!

Seattlelite

This is a huge mistake on AI's part. Just because someone likes music, it doesn't make them an able judge. The contestants on this show are serious about starting their careers in the music industry. They don't need a comedian making judgement calls or stupid jokes bringing attention to herself. I think it will turn into a show more aobut Ellen than the contestants and that's sad. Get rid of Kara and bring Paula back!

Ballistic

Scabs SUCK....I have ZERO respect for her now.

PolarBear

I'm glad Paula can now move onto something productive and rewarding. I knew that show was heading DOWN, DOWN, DOWN! Notice how the British talent show got the world's attention and the US version has something like a "1-in-8 actually have any talent"-level of BOREDOM going on? If I'd been a judge on that show, I would probably have had a bottle of premium scotch and some ice right there on the desk, the whole show, and a paintball gun to shoot lousy performers with. Ellen DeGeneres? What the hell is that going to do? Obviously they want the judges to be mouthy and loud, to try to make up for the guests who have little capacity to generate excitement.

American Idol = off the air by end of 2010.

Linda Mott

I'm an old dog and I only saw AI once. It was the time Reuben won. I found Paula annoying. I love Ellen, she is so funny. I know Simon and Randy will love having her as a co judge. She will represent the ear of the people.

kattt236

I HAVE WATCHED AMERICAN IDOL SINCE IT FIRST CAME ON THE TV. MY FAVORITE PROGRAM, NOW I WILL NOT WATCH IT ANYMORE. HOW SICK TO PUT A COMEDIAN TO TAKE PAULA'S PLACE. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAID HER WHAT SHE ASKED, SHE WAS WELL WORTH IT. I BET ELLEN IS GETTING MORE THAN THAT. YOU OUGHT TO BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. ALL MY FRIENDS HAVE DECIDED NOT TO WATCH IT ANYMORE EITHER....

who dat

Get rid of the Fuzz Bumper.

balls

balls

magentapyramid

GUARANTEED they will be paying Ellen 'way more than Paula. How pissed will Paula be??????