Ellen to 'Idol' Fans -- Don't Hate Me

9/10/2009 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen DeGeneresEllen DeGeneres made a plea to "Idol" nation today -- telling fans that she's not to blame for Paula Abdul's departure from the show.

A seemingly excited Ellen called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning, where she told Ryan she doesn't want people to think she's "evil" for taking Paula's job.

Though Paula has yet to comment on the switch, Ellen also said, "I hope Paula is okay with it."

octomommakesmesick

I can NOT stand ELLEN DEGENERATE., I will not be watching, because I dont want to throw up in my mouth,,,everytime AI comes on..

PolarBear

How is Simon going to deal with Ellen spending all her unilaterally taken time on set doing promos for gay marriage rights in California? AI is SO COMPLETELY DONE as a talent promo business tool! Simon is going to have rate his acts and then start beating the hell out of Ellen so she shuts her idiotic mouth UP! Oh, what a complete collapse of a show that could, with better guidance, have been a winner instead of a shambles.

razzberry

How can anyone hate Ellen for taking the job? I don't think she's right for it, to be honest. However, Paula walked out because the producers didn't 'treasure' her enough to pay her what Seacrest was making.

MuMsie

Her brief appearance on last season's "So You Think You Can Dance" was annoying & hard to watch. It took forever for her to get past her attempt at jokes to critique the dancer. I will not be able to watch "AI" this season ... no friggin' way. I loved the "JUMP THE SHARK" comment is on the money.

edrei

It's about time! Sorry Paula, we love you, but Ellen brings a whole new flavor to the game. I may be a little out of the loop, but why did Paula leave the show, or was she escorted out?

frank

bad move, Paula was a big part of the show, they will miss her a lot.

M Hall

Don't worry, I hated Ellen long before she became a new judge on American Idol. Her brand of slap stick stupid humor just isn't funny. Don't like her, don't watch her show and as long as she is
a judge in Idol, I won't be watching Idol.

Recovery75

Just one more reason not to watch the show. She can't dance or sing,what the hell does she know ? What a joke, Paula is better off without this bunch of morons.

janalal4

Just saw an interview with some rep from AI & they wanted her for the "human factor; an every-day "joe" to represent the opinion of the average person sitting home watching the show. They said the other girl(don't watch the show so I don't know her name) had the music backgroung. So NOT having a music background is EXACTLY why they chose her. I like her & have never sat through an entire episode of Idol but I might now. Just to see the interaction between she & Simon. I thought Paula was a rather dull person as someone above said as well. I might be a good move but I'm definitely willing to see!

Tom B

I won't watch her show because I can't stand what she represents. I guess now I won't be able to watch AI and it WAS one of my favorites.

And yes you can do something about it,but will you? Contact AI sponsors. At least that worked for Gays & Blacks.

Googie

Oh Ellen, I'm so disappointed. Out of respect for Paula, you should have declined graciously. You have a hit show, why hurt Paula. You don't need the money. It would have been different if Paula was still there, but you are replacing her, but not really. We miss our little cheerleader.

JOSE

IDOL PICKED THIS SARCASTIC 'B' FOR NICE PAULA??? WHY?? IM THROUGH WITH IDOL..

Chris

If Ellen is genuinely concerned what Paula Abdul would think, she should have asked her before taking the job, not that she owed her an explanation or anything. Frankly, I'm upset with the producers. I think they brought on the 4th judge to begin the process of removing Paula Abdul. Just my opinion.

Kitty

I'll never watch American Idol again. First that idiot Kara and now Ellen. They should have never gotten rid of Paula and brought these two idiots on. I love Simon, but I can't stand to sit there and listen to Kara and now Ellen.

Sue

What a sick choice and I do not mean that in a good way. She has no talent for music and is not a good choice for a judge. How much will we have to put up with her tries at jokes and just wasting time. 4 judges were bad enough, but now to have one with no discernable music talent is going to drive people from watching the show, including me. Can she actually tell someone they were behind the beat or ahead of it or even just plain off key? How can she tell without training and singing herself? What a joke.