Ellen to 'Idol' Fans -- Don't Hate Me

9/10/2009 2:15 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ellen DeGeneresEllen DeGeneres made a plea to "Idol" nation today -- telling fans that she's not to blame for Paula Abdul's departure from the show.

A seemingly excited Ellen called in to "On Air with Ryan Seacrest" this morning, where she told Ryan she doesn't want people to think she's "evil" for taking Paula's job.

Though Paula has yet to comment on the switch, Ellen also said, "I hope Paula is okay with it."

lucky7samson

This show is not about true musical talent, its about ratings. So it doesn't really matter if the judges are qualified to critique vocalists. It only matters what is going to get more people watching. Picking her is controversial, but sometimes controversy makes people curious (at least for the first week).

Ellen, if you want to win america over, make a good first impression, because that might be all you get with alot of people, one chance.

opine

Ellen, American Idol? I don't get it? How so? Should be a nice nose dive for the show...I love love love Ellen, but don't get this choice AT ALL

Chik

What the heck is Idol thinking??? Ellen??? NO WAY do I agree. Did you see her on "So You Think You Can Dance"?? OMG, she was a terrible judge. Idol will suck without Paula. They should've made the deal with Paula. Idol sucks.

billyboyhere

She looks even manlier this new Season---like a throw it in Americas face that she's Gay. Take the pulse of the Country Ellen---we dont want more gayness, we want more regularity again. We see and value the Differences in so many, but now, we as a People and a Country, once again want some Unity with those Differences. Our Country was founded on "From many, One"...No more of the "in your face" stuff with your sexuality. My gosh, you look like Wayne Gretzky now or at least a younger version of him.

You stole your act from 2 Comedic Greats---Bob Newhart and Groucho Marx...that walk and dance you do is nothing more than a cheap ripoff of Groucho, the only thing missing is the Tux Tails.

You have no business being on American Idol, you have cheapened it and made it a Gay thing now. Not that Gay is bad, but I dont want sexuality of any sort thrown in my face anymore as a price having to be paid for watching entrainment.

Frankly you should be ashamed of yourself. You are appearing to have pulled a behind the scences old fashioned back stabbing fast one simply to get your mug on TV more. I would have thought you were busy enough and want time with your lover. Apparently there are problems there again too huh? Why do you love so much but get no love in return from these women you choose? Wow, you're like a dumb old sugar daddy now.

Peace Please

Disgusting

So she wants to act like a snake, but doesn't want to be hated for it

Lippy Loo

Ellen the dude Degenerate has no musical background... how can he, I mean she be a judge? This is so wrong on so many levels, it is not even funny. She will make a mockery of Idol, I did not think it was suppose to be a comedy show, but now it is!

angie b

How about women standing together for once? Ellen knows absolutely nothing about music other than what her dj spins or she hears on the radio. How about Ellen coming out in support of Paula and her right to ask to be treated fairly on the salary front. Paula should have equal pay and should not be fired for asking for it. that is gender discrimination, something Ellen should know something about. Equal pay for equal work. sounds like Paula's "acting a little uppity and needs to put in her place" sound familiar anyone?
Redonkulous

Eve

Ellen hijacked Paula's job, and officially made Idol "jump the shark" the show is ruined. Couldn't they have paid millions to say Avril Lavigne or Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears, Jessica Simpson...Whitney Houston? There are many women who know the business from first hand experience who would be a relevant choice. If the "gay" factor must be included then why not Melissa Etheridge (she's a good singer). Ellen makes the show SUCK more than ever.

LINDA

SINCE LUCK ORGINATES WITH THE DEVIL MAY YOU HAVE ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD YOU QUEER.ELLEN, ROSIE, AND ALL THE MILLIONS OF YUKKO'S LIKE THEM -----------------------------------------------------------------I'LL JUST SAY WHAT MAMA USED TO SAY IF YOU CAN'T SAY SOMETHING GOOD DON'T SAY ANYTHING. SHAME ON YOU TMZ FOR SUBJECTING US TO HER NASTY OLE FACE DAILY. OH WELL GUESS YOU GOTTA MAKE A LIVIN EVEN IF ITS LIKE THIS.

Linda

I'm still not going to watch IDOL anymore, and many of my family/friends aren't either ... after the textgate incident earlier this year (causing Adam to lose), plus the blatant sexism of not paying Paula appropriately ... well, we're done with this show and won't be lured in by Ellen. We'll take our business elsewhere! Idol executives may be surprised ... this could be the beginning of the end for their show.

steve

I wanted to find out if i was the only person who cannot stand ED
There is something about her smug attitude How can she even look at herself in the mirror without throwing up? Bye Bye Idol..

petra

i will never watch my favorite show again it will upset my dinner....

MaxVeritas

The truth is, Ellen has NO known musical background, talent or ability but then it seems painfully obvious the shows producers could care less about her impoverished qualifications relative to music. My point being im willing to bet that they actually think she will bring them a lot of $ and that is the bottom line in their world. Will be sure to tune out from now on as I find her so-called brand of comedy tediously boring & unsuitable for adults since its geared towards the small minded types who are quite easily yukked. PS-I hope this attempt to foist a musically illiterate judge on the Idol viewers fails quickly. How bout we simply let her take her man up haircut & thieving attitude of stealing free airtime of over 1000 copyrighted songs for use on her show since its inception and just go back to her own boorish mini-crowd of human lemmings.

Christine

I guess she doesn't make enough money. Or....perhaps, she's obviously not so happily married. Working day and night. So under-qualified.

He's just another Idiot

We didn't want a Flaming Gay for the American Idol. What makes you think we want a Flaming Lesbian for a Judge? Without the talented, adorable Paula I won't watch. It makes me rather sad. Who made this decision? Whoever it was, you SUCK!!!!!!