Michael Jackson Tribute Concert Postponed

9/11/2009 9:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonThe planned Michael Jackson tribute concert in Vienna this month has been postponed until 2010. It's amazing what having NO performers will do for a concert.

Citing scheduling conflicts, the event's promoter, Georg Kindel, made the announcement today and said the concert would now take place in London. As for why the delay, Kindel said they "underestimated" the scheduling issues many of the top performers had.

As we first reported, Natalie Cole said she wouldn't be there because she's set to attend an event with the Dalai Lama in Memphis. Chris Brown and Mary J. Blige were promoted as being part of the event -- but denied any involvement.

UPDATE -- Jermaine Jackson, who was helping to put this whole thing together, just posted a long-winded apology/explanation, that reads in part, "Instead of eight weeks we now have eight months to prepare and some of the stars who would not have been able to participate in the Vienna concert, but expressed their wish to participate in this event, will be able to perform live on stage at the renowned Wembley Stadium in London in June 2010."

Murphy

The whole concept was fraud -- I mean, flawed. And the Michael-Jermaine duet was silly. If technology allows for Michael to appear virtually on stage, why do we need Jermaine?

Yolanda Nixon

I sniffed MJ's poo stained pajamas once!

Time Space

The whole thing was more ill planned and timing than Jermaine being an opportunist. He can be that even in a well planned event. The fact is, its too soon for a major concert like that. BET did the same thing rushing a "honor" right after MJ died (during the awards) and it turned into a joke. Janet's dance tribute has been expertly put together by some of the top choreos in the business and will be performed by some of the best dancers out now. Including Wade Robson and Brian Friedman. The VMAs even have a beatiful trailer of the event with sequiened gloves showering from the sky and Radio City Music Hall banner saying "King of Pop Long May He Reign". It's creative, intelligent and befitting of an music Icon.

That's the difference from being "In the Business" and "wanting to truly honor".

I'm sure next year the MJ tribute will have all the names that people expect. It will be planned accordingly.

And I expected it to be in London because that was where MJ's core fan base was/is. and I aint mad at them..

Show up and show out Brits!

Firefly

I agree with you Brian, wouldn't it be great if we the fans could put together a tribute to Michael using none celebrities. Fans with real talent like you Brian, that can sing or dance or play an instrument. I'm sure that all Michael fans would agree to doing something like that instead of what Jermaine is trying to do. All proceeds would go to Michael's charities. All we would need is for places around the world to donate the venues and have it take place on the same date. That way all fans can attend everywhere and feel like they are all a part of it.

jean

The estate needs to put a restraining order out on Jermaine,Joe and Latoya! They are not mentioned in the will and need to be legally pulled off to the sidelines, and stay out of the estate business.If everyone sigans a letter to this effect all the fans world wide, the greedy Jacksons can be pullled off the airways!

Nicole

Please sign the Michael Jackson Nobel Peace Prize Petition 2010. Google it.

La Toya Jackson

Jermain.. GO AWAY !!!! ... Were not buying what your selling

MJFANFOREVER

MJILOVEYOUMORE ( 7)

Beautiful post.

Jill

lls, Cinner...it baffles me. if this is ENOUGH or you don't friggin care, why are you on this site? you are not the boss...mind your own business and get your own life, don't worry how others spend their time. LOL.

La Toya Jackson

Do these blow up shoes make my butt look FAT? ....

Tip of the day: How can you tell when Jermain Jackson is lieing? A: When his lips are moving..

balls

balls

Michelle

TMZ thank you for the nice picture of Michael!
I can't stand Jermaine and how he has jumped to make money off of Michael's name.
I love you Michael! Rest in peace!

billie jean

I think it should have been in London from the start after all this is were Michael was due to do a massive number of date's i look forward to getting tickets for next summer. Jermaine has done nothing wrong why cant people just see he wants his brother's memory to continue to live on.

Take a break from it all Jermaine go a mourn your brother and come back to the show when you feel up to it you and the family have had 3 crazy months..... Michael will never be forgotten and i understand what you are doing for your bro.... Good bless the Jackson and this hard time.

R.I.P The king of music we miss you michael Your rocked my world!!

La Toya Jackson

The whole thing is a load of CRAP .... Everything Jermain touches turns into CRAP. Boycott Boycott Boycott

Marla

Whoever thinks that Jermaine will be "famous" for doing this show is just silly, he might not be as talented, good looking and loved as MJ was, but he's already and has been for years a recognizable figure in show biz, although not always for the best of reasons. I for one will not sabbotage the tribute concert whenever or wherever it happens cause it holds the name of Michael Jackson in it, and I will revere anything that MJ endorses and won't do any harm to his family whatsoever cause they are his flesh ad blood whether we like it or not. This is just my humble opinion. I will love Michael Jackson for the rest of my days and when the time to meet him again comes I will be thankful for such an opportunity, in the meantime I will respect his family as much as I respected him. RIP Sweet King!