Janet Jackson -- Making Michael Proud

9/13/2009 10:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After a personal introduction from Madonna herself, a fully-clothed Janet Jackson took the stage at the MTV Video Music Awards to honor her late brother Michael.

Janet Jackson

In a routine reminiscent of Natalie Cole, Janet performed her part of the song "Scream" while a music video of Michael doing his part played in the background.

Christine

if a white person had done what kanye just did they would never be allowed back!

I was disappointed to be truthful. It was boring. I thought I would be blown away. I saw JJ in concert when she was 36. She did not lip sing and boy could she dance. Maybe she is just getting older...

Lex

It was just an awesome performance Janet was amazing and mos def Madonna speech was a tear jerker.

Yael Duval

From my soul... I love you Michael & Janet.

Dilemma

Way to go loved Janet and Michaels dancers did a great job........still missing the King of Pop RIP

JMA

Well done,janet,
I think Michael would be very proud.
great performance!!!!
It maked me cry

MiMi

Janet you rocked!!!!

New Yorker at Heart

It was great done the right way. I liked that Madonna introduced that segment of the show but it was what she said that was so poignant. Madonna hit the nail on the head with everything she said. I love how Janet did her part on the Scream video. At the end of the performance she looked like she was going to cry. All in all it was a lovely tribute. Well done Janet and Madonna and MTV well done!!!

Violet

Reminiscent of Natalie Cole....?

ladybuttercup

it was great but i agree it was hyped to be more then it was

K

Kanye is trash! Are you serious?! Let the girl have her time in the spotlight! Janet did a great job too!

seeking the truth

I'd gone off Madonna but for her to stand there and say how many had let him down including herself and that he was involved in a witch hunt - made me respect her once again!

Janet you were great, Michael would be so proud :)

danica

Great job Janet. And for he fool talking about Joe. He is not Janet's manager so he gets nothing for her performance! How dumb of you to make comments out of your rear. Why did you watch it in the first place?

ly9512

Poor Janet. You can see how upset she was at the end. She looked like she was going to cry. That image of the two of them at the end was great and I love how they faded her out and just showed Michael there.

Great performance overall, the singing was rusty though. But I heard she was rehearsing sometimes 15 hours a day which is crazy. She was probably dead tired and worn out.

PS Kanye West is lame!

for; while my guitar gently weeps

750. So we got Madonna helping / caring about Michael where are the rest of the Superstars we supported all our lives, Michael needs their notorieties voice screaming "I'm Mad as hell' and I'm not going to take it' anymore"
I want more' we need more' Michael deserves more' all the Hollywood Superstars are protecting their Med's and letting their fellow workers get Cardiac Arrests.
This is and has been a Total, New's black-out since Jermaine announced MR. Michael Jackson Died, TMZ.com is not enough,

“Animals strike, not from Malice, But because they want to live, it is the same’ with those who criticize, they desire our Blood, not our pain. But still I must achieve i most seek truth in all things. I must endure for the power, I was sent forth, for the world, for the children. But have Mercy, for I’ve been Bleeding a long time now.” {Michael Jackson}