Janet Jackson -- Making Michael Proud

9/13/2009 10:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After a personal introduction from Madonna herself, a fully-clothed Janet Jackson took the stage at the MTV Video Music Awards to honor her late brother Michael.

Janet Jackson

In a routine reminiscent of Natalie Cole, Janet performed her part of the song "Scream" while a music video of Michael doing his part played in the background.

danica

Madonna's speech was good. Except when she said that she thought Michael got the short end of the stick when her mother died and he was performing. She made it sound like he would have been better off if Katherine had died.

She said she wasn't a close friend so for her to act like she knew that much about him was arrogant. Michael alway said he would not change anything about his life even though he had some rough spot.

isabelnecessary

this was beyond amazing. the show should've ended at just that. and i'd have been happy. but i'm still waiting to see the This Is It trailer.

jan

Janet was awesome & I thought the award show would be great until that stupid disrespectful Kanye West did what he did to that young teenager Talyor Swift. He is a total A...... & should be kicked out of the show.. His 15 minutes are up. I hope he pays dearly for what he did, that was the most awful thing I have ever seen. Hes a class act JERK!!!!! Rot in hell Kanye. Taylor you are fabulous, noone will no his name in a year & you will only get more famous because you are a beautiful, kind person.

uhHuh

I EXPECTED MORE, BUT KANYE OF COURSE HAD TO TOP THE PUBLICITY SOMEHOW (THE ONLY WAY HE KNOWS BY RUNNING HIS STUPID MOUTH-I NOTICED HE FINALLY BROUGHT HIS STRIPPPER GIRLFRIEND OUT-WONDER WHAT SHE THINKS OF HIM DISSING KIDS IN PUBLIC)EVEN IF BEYONCE DESERVED IT-WHO THE HELL IS HE TO JUDGE?? BACK TO MJ...IMPORTANT STUFF...
I THINK I LIKE MADONNA AGAIN AFTER HER HEARTFELT & WORTHWHILE WORDS. AND I THINK GAGA SAID ALOT WITH HER "PAPARAZZI" SONG. THEY'LL KILL YA-LOOK AT TMZ!!!!!! HELL, THEY'RE KILLIN ME!!!! HERE I AM AGAIN!!!!
RIP MICHAEL-HOPE YOU'RE FEELING NO PAIN NOW & HAPPY

tj

Janet rocked!!! I know that Michael white light was shining on her and will continue to do so.....

homie1kanobe

AWESOME.............................

Brooklyn

Kanye is a classless d**khead. Wonder who will be doing loving tributes to him when he's passed (right--no one).

Debbie

Modonna hit it just right and Janet's tribute was awesome i am still crying. love MJ

WillOTheWisp

AWESOME! It's like he was there! I miss Michael! Thanks Janet; You did him proud!

Insanithy X 1.0

Insanity Says:

Insanity Is Black & Insanity Is Ashamed Of Kanye West!
__________________________________________________________________
Insanity Says:

That was Kanye West GHETTO A$$. That was not required even if this is what was...Inappropriate!

*Un-required

Posted at 9:41PM on Sep 13th 2009 by Insanity 7.2 100% Truth

__________________________________________________________________

kitty

nobody can dance like michael but janet tried, bless her heart. she did good though!

love you michael!

Jusrobin

DUDE THAT PERFORMANCE WAS THE BEST AND THE TRIBUTE AND THE DANCES, AND THE SPEECH, everything was awesome and at the end, I loved it when she looked up and that was probably the best honoring of all the jacksons I love her so much more now! @waitingforclosure THAT COMEMERICAL MADE ME CRY IT WAS THE BEST! I THINK IT SHOULD BE SHOWN MORE! THAT COMMERCIAL ROCKED MTV OUT DID THEMSELVES THIS YEAR WAY TO GO MTV>>>I"M officially an MTV fanatic now...boo BET for throwing together such bs last minute or not if you had time you wouldn't even have done this good! PS I'm african american by the way!

LucyInTheSky

it was great but i agree it was hyped to be more then it was

Posted at 10:08PM on Sep 13th 2009 by ladybuttercup
____________________________________

Janet was awesome but I didn't expect less from her.
It's sad that she has to be the only family member left to try and salvage the family name.
Maybe she won't waste her time trying.

GOD what a woman and performer! BEYONCE.
Jeezz shake away!

Shakira you were too tame. tame and Shakira don't belong girl.

Jill

Great job by Janet and beautiful message by Madonna. A wonderful tribute for our lost KING OF POP. Left me wanting to hear and see more of Michael's songs and videos.

Insanithy X 1.0

40. Janet looked like she was ready to cry at the end. Poor thing. Miss you, Michael.

Posted at 10:19PM on Sep 13th 2009 by Brooklyn