Aretha Franklin -- The Queen's Latest Crown

9/15/2009 12:04 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

After sparking a fashion frenzy with her big-bowed Inauguration headgear, Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin rocked another fabulous chapeau while walking on her own power near Central Park on Monday.

0910_media_removed_Lindsay_Lohan1

The 67-year-old knows hat's entertainment.

Bemused

Reality check: She's 67 years old, but looks 77, and seems to have the vigor and robust health of a sickly 87-year-old. Even in her heyday (ca. 1969) Aretha Franklin was never anything to look at, but now she's grotesque and clearly headed for an early grave.

softlipsgirl

what I'm most interested is WHO is she holding hands with? Cmon TMZ don't let us down-- tell us who it is.

Phishsteak

Well...since your asking me my opinion...Jennifer Holliday, Judy Garland, Nina Simone, Christina Aguilera, Frenchie Davis, Kimberly Locke, Jennifer Hudson, Tamyra Gray, Gladys Knight, Kelly Clarkson,..geez, even Jordin Sparks....that's just a few who come to mind. I think they all have greater vocal ability than Aretha.Oh, and Whitney, before the drugs destroyed her voice. I feel like she's only known as the queen of soul because of her age. Just my opinon. Just never understood the kudos for her.

honesty

Some of you fools have never heard or seen Madea, and you honestly need a visit from her!

.............

Ugh....what a fat A$$ with a dead baby leopard on her head. Gak!!

honesty

Anyone who would put Frenchie Davis, and Kelly Clarkson in the same category as Judy Garland, shows they have no idea of music history!
Please go find some Billy Holiday, Pearl Bailey, Rosemary Clooney, and some Mahalia Jackson.
As for Aretha, anyone with 45 top forty hits on Billboard, deserves more respect then you have in your entire body.

Phishsteak

I wasn't categorizing the singers I listed by genres, but by my opinion of their vocal ability, just off the top of my head. And you will see I did list Billie Holliday. Also, I didn't show her disrespect, I said that I feel she is the most over rated singer of all time, not that she isn't an amazing singer. Over rated. But if it makes you feel better to cast me into a pit with sarcasm...fine. It's like a painting that's only gotten valuable through time, she's been around a long time, and many people feel like they are required to call her the Queen of Soul because of that. Again...that's my opinion. Oh, and I think Tina Turner is better too.

shes right

I think phsihstak is right. chrstina aguilera could blow aretha off the stage. In fact i think she has. And so would Kelly and and Jen Hudson and even frenchy!

OC Get A Life

Leave Aretha alone, like many Americans of retirement age, she is facing the combined illnesses of arthritis and obesity. It is truly sad to see her deterioration, and I can only hope that she is able to have some quality of life.

But, if you want to have balanced reporting, then let's have a photo spread of Rush Limbaugh in a thong.

Hardworking but broke

Sorry, she may be talented, but she is nothing but a huge, disgusting STUCK-UP, pretentious ANIMAL. Remember how angry she got when Beyonce introduced Tina Turner as the Queen of something or other?? Talk about STUCK-UP! Sorry lady... if it wasn't for your voice, you would be nothing more than a fat, nasty lady living in a trailer park. That's what you look like anyway

Phishsteak

Yes Tina Turner is the real queen of soul and yes there are better singers than Aretha and yes she is obese but lets focus on what is really important. Even the President thinks Kanye West is a JACKASS.

romil4

An American icon? Aren't you proud, America?

Coco

I can smell the stench from the folds of fat on her. I use to have much R-E-S-P-E-C-T for Aretha, until I paid to see her in concert. What a let down. She stopped in the middle of songs to tell snap at people because it was too hot in the building. She threatened to walk out, spoke the words to her songs. It was a total waste of money and time.

Granny Pants

Y'all think Beyonce's a great singer I bet. LOSERS!

Phishsteak

Yes Coco.....because she's not the queen of soul anymore...Tina is! Aretha can't keep up anymore singing because she's in such awful shape. All that money and she can't get a gastric bypass? What an ego.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments