Obama

Caught on Tape

Calling Kanye 'Jackass'

9/15/2009 5:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Obama Caught on Tape Calling Kanye 'Jackass'TMZ has obtained the audiotape of President Barack Obama calling Kanye West a "jackass" for hijacking Taylor Swift's acceptance speech during the VMAs.

The audio was recorded just before Obama went on camera to do an interview with CNBC. Before the interview began, Obama -- referring to Kanye's antics on stage -- said "I thought that was really inappropriate," then adding, "He's a jackass."

After making the remarks, Obama said "Where's the pool?" Presumably, he was worried the joke would go wide. He noted the last time that happened, he got burned for killing a fly.

Obama said, "Cut the President some slack."

Kanye's Big Show

Enough

Both the media and Kanye West are out of control. President Obama is just calling a spade a spade (no pun intended)he speaks the truth which this country is not use to. We have bigger problems to resolve than Kanye West. I think the president was kind in his choice of words, I can think of a lot of other names to call him. We are just feeding his ego by exploiting all this media attention so lets just drop it and move on. Kanye West in my opinion has no musical talent hence this is why he constantly is causing scenes at these awards or functions cause he can't get recognition with his talent because he has none, he is just an ignorant wanna be.

KevinB

If Kanye was white, would B. O. be called a racist? Joe Wilson was labeled a racist for telling B.O. he lied,(no name calling was involved) but I guess since they're both black in this instance, that doesn't apply. Everyone says that the President deserves respect, but then he publicly calls someone a jackass. Wow. What a double standard.

Jami

Look at the bigger picture here people. This is not about Kanye, this is about a pompous ass president sticking his nose where it does not belong yet again! Something like this should be well below the presidents radar. I should think he could have alot better things to comment on like the economy and other pressing matters that have to do with the peole. This is just another show of what an arrogant ass Obama is. NO other president would have dignified this with a comment, least of all in public.

TMC13

It's quite unprofessional for our President to be commenting on such issues.

Christin

Kanye West's antics were inappropriate Obama only stated what we all know to be true. The President, as much as any other citizen has a right to freedom of speech. Kanye needs some help I feel this young man needs counceling, I understand he has had some difficult personal situations in his life, as we all do, perhaps he should seek out help for his behavior.

SHADOW WARRIOR

It is about time someone call's him a jackass.

who has the facts? ME

Tarzana Jane -
I think the exact same words you used to describe blacks could also be used to describe Rep Joe Wilson...to a tee.

Pickle

I don't know about anyone else on this thread, but I woke up feeling a lot better about this whole incident knowing that the President agrees with me. I'm happy to know someone has standards and class in the highest office of the land. So I'm glad he said it and it got out.

Valerie

#49 you are an idiot, go and sit in a corner somewhere

Whatsnormal

Well maybe the pres is starting to get it right.

are you kidding?!

Obama is as black as he is white. Carter is an idiot for saying what he said.

It‘s like in a real life. Sometimes people don’t like you… just because they don’t like you… without any reason. It could be because you too short or too tall, too skinny or too fat, or because your voice is too deep or too high,or… Eventually, if they find out more about you, they start to like you. C'est la vie !

So hey Prez…you human, you have your family time, you watch tv, you familiar with pop culture… Saying that Kanye is a jackass, without any diplomatic digestion, only make you more likable and approachable…somebody people can relate to.
So keep going. I am starting to like you.
…and please look at the votes… 92% to 8%. Not bad!
Keep the same ratio during the next election and you are the winner.

flamingo 5

Now why isn't Prez getting sanctioned for calling KW a jackass? (albeit a true statement) but even still - turnabout is fair play I guess not if your the Prez...

Amber

I do agree with the president. What I think is inappropriate is playing the video on television for all children to hear. My 2 year old just repeated the word after it was said twice on the news. I am very angry and disappointed!

Arnie

Why is it that when Obama speaks an unfavorable truth the media who releases it is attacked. When Wilson spoke an unfavorable truth he was attacked. What Obama said about West was one of the few times he told the truth.

Shadow Warrior

What did a Jackass ever do to the President so as to be compared to Kanye West? Isn't it against the law to be inhumane to animals? In fact Kenye isn't even an A-hole, A-holes have a purpose, to relieve the body to toxic waste like Kenye West.

Previous 15 Comments | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments