Heigl Adopts a New Habit ... Motherhood

9/17/2009 5:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

While on the set of a movie in L.A., Katherine Heigl showed off her newly adopted daughter Naleigh Kelley.

0910_media_removed_Mel_Gibson

Heigl and husband Josh Kelley adopted the adorable bundle of joy from South Korea.

The 30-year-old makes for a smoking hot mom.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

EAPSNJ

Adopting a child is a means towards creating a family, NOT a civic duty. If there are children in the US who need adoption into permanent, loving homes, then those of you out there who are quite opinionated on this issue should make the decision to open your own hearts and homes to them. Otherwise, allow those families who adopt from ANYWHERE , the freedom to make whatever choice is best for them. A freedom you all, no doubt, support??

Crystal

so adorable. it doesn't matter where the baby is from as long as it's a child who is getting a second chance at a better life.

david

i'm so sick and tired of all these $$stars$$ going to another country to get children. the US has childrens in need here too. what idiots!!!

Nae

Ahh how sweet another celebrity making headlines for adopting a child from another country.. Who gives a shi*!! When you start helping the homeless & needy children that live right here in your own country then that is news worthy otherwise it's just another way these people get attention!! I am so sick of these a**holes trying to be such martyrs in these other countries besides where they collect their damn paychecks from!! Take care of your own first!!!

Lastly, just because a child is an american citizen doesnt mean he has any other special privledges than kids in other countries when your homeless, poor & have no parents it's all the same people no matter where in the world you live!!!!

leigh

ok, i can understand the celebs point of view.

iam in the side of adopting o/s children.

why? for me personally ever since i was 10 yrs old. ive always dreamt of adopting black/african children.

iam white. when i was 10 yrs old.. i promised myself.. i'd never get married.. never have kids of my own and will adopt an african boy.

iam now 24 yrs old and i will keep my promise.

does it mean when i turn 34 and adopt an african boy... every1 is going to start abusing me for adopting an african boy???

POINT IS.

EVERY1'S LIVES IS DIFFERENT. JUST BECAUSE WE CHOSE DIFFERENT GOALS AND DIFFERENT THINGS FOR OUR LIVES LIKE ME PROMISING MYSELF ILL NEVER HAVE MY OWN CHILD, GET MARRIED AND INSTEAD ADOPT A BLACK BOY. U GUYS ARE GOING 2 ABUSE ME FOR IT AND DISAGREE WITH IT?? its my life.

SAME AS THESE CELEBS.

ITS THEIR LIFE!!!!!!!

LOOK AT YOUR OWN LIVES.

WHY R U GUYS ALL HATING ON CELEBS CHOICES ALL THE TIME??

for me personally i disagree with marriage.. my best friend recently got married 3 months ago and i was her maid of honor. did i decide that i shouldnt support her because she is doing sumthing i do not believe in???? no... instead i supported her.. she knows my own views on marriage but i did not impose them on her because its her life. every1 has different goals, likes,dreams and what they want in life and most of all.. every1 is different.

just because one choses to adopt a korean child over an american or an african child over american. does not mean they are bad or should be frowned upon.

AGAIN TO THOSE PPL SAYING SHE SHOULD ADOPT AN AMERICAN CHILD.. LOOK @ YOURSELVES. WHAT R U GUYS DOING FOR AMERICA YOURSELF??? AFTER ALL AMERICA IS WHERE U GET YOUR PAYCHECK RIGHT? IF U HAVE THAT VIEW THEN WHY ARNT U GUYS DOING SOMETHING MORE ABOUT IT??

iam sure none of u are actually doing something about helping america even though u guys are hating on her for not adopting american. let me guess your life... u guys r all too busy and self induldent looking after your own lives to help other.

for me... i actually spend alot of my time helping the unfortunate. for me i chose TO NOT GET PAID BECAUSE I VOLUNTEER AT 5 DIFFERENT CHARITIES AND NOT GET PAID FOR IT. THATS MY JOB AND WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING. HOW MANY OF U R CHOSING PAID WORK OR GETTING PAID ALOT OF $$$ OVER HELPING OUT DISADVANTAGED PPL.. I'D LIKE TO SEE U ALL TAKE A FEW DAYS OFF YOUR NORMAL PAID WORKING JOBS AND VOLUNTEER FOR THE DISADVANTAGED. LET ME GUESS.. YOU ARE ALL PROBABLY TOO GREEDY AND SELF INDUGLENT TO DO IT. SO TO EVERY1 SAYING THAT.. SHUT YOUR FREAKING TRAPS HYPOCRITES.

LikeYEAH!

"WHY GO ALL THE WAY TO FRICKIN" KOREA WHEN WE HAVE KIDS RIGHT HERE IN THE U.S. WHO NEED A FAMILY!!! I HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT. HELP THOSE IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY FIRST!"

I said the same thing and she was so damn annoyingly happy to let everyone know about it when most "Celebs" try to hide it atleast a week. And they was she annouced it made me want to puke.

"[Adoption has] been a big part of my life and my family. My sister is Korean and my parents adopted her back in the '70s and so I just always knew that this is something I wanted to do."

The whites love their Asian babies though.

LikeYEAH!

I wonder how many Asians come here to adopt Blond Haired Blue Eyed American babies. Wonder if it's as easy to do also.

Valenicabiotch

Lots of celebrities have adopted domestically:
Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, Joely Fischer, Hugh Jackman, Sharon Stone, Michelle Pfeiffer, Jamie Lee Curtis, Rosie O'Donnell, Sheryl Crow... the list goes on.

The media only likes to cover international adoptions, not the domestic ones.

Sheryl

So one of the {possibly} most hated women in Hollywood decides to adopt a special needs baby. Hmmm...convenient timing. Sorry folks, I'm not the only one who has had this thought.

Lisa

She is already FAIL at parenting - 10 mos is way too old to be carried in a bucket seat!!!

lawoman

Maybe she should learn to put together the stroller before we commend her for being a great Mom....not all of us had "assistants" to help with the mundane chores of motherhood. Wonder if she's changing diapers by herself??

Eire

One of the most selfless things a person can do is to adopt a baby with special needs baby i don't think i could be so brave ... congrats Katherine xx

words-of-wisdom

#57 Again, do your homework. Closed aren't really closed and birth parents have tried to fight which has put the adoptive families in lawsuit hell. Who can afford that mess and why would you want that to disrupt your adoptive childrens lives?
What have you done to help the available children out there (U.S. or abroad)? Are you doing anything to help the system here??? If you, then Bravo!
BTW my husband is a lawyer, so we have looked into this issue fully and thanks for opening this topic as I think it is helpful to all.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5