Travolta Acknowledges Son's Autism

9/23/2009 1:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Travolta John Travolta made his first public statement acknowledging Jett had autism.

Travolta told the jury in the Bahamas extortion case that Jett was autistic and suffered seizures every 5 to 10 days. Travolta said, "He was autistic. He suffered from a seizure disorder."

Travolta testified the seizures would last 45 seconds to a minute.

janalal4

It's "honorable" that many stars choose to make their child's autism public in an effort to bring an awareness of the disease to the public but if the Travolta's chose to keep Jett's private, I hardly think they can be faulted for that. They seem like very private people to me. Maybe they believe exposing their child's diagnosis should have been up to Jett when he became an adult. Who's to say all these celebrity kid's who have been given no choice in the exposure they have received won't resent it one day? Just another point of view!

La Toya Jackson

But.. What about Michael Jackson?? .. Back to us ... Our ship has come in

omofmom

As an advocate for developmental disabilities I would have liked to have seen them acknowledge the autism and been champions for autism instead of pushing it off of a disease that can be treated if you catch the 104. fever within 10 days of onset. I think because there is not a specific test for Kawasaki's they just made it seem like that is what he suffered from. I am sad for them that they did not feel safe to share this and sad that they are living in the fantasy world of Scientology.

La Toya Jackson

Don't forget me.. Mo Money.. Mo Money.. MO MONEY !!!!! ... Cha Ching

Love, The Jackson Family

lostsoul

That is something no one should have to endure, losing a child and then being squeezed for blackmail money, if it is true.

joesmom

The Travoltas are good people who have suffered a devastating loss. Please leave them alone!

La Toya Jackson

Do these blow up shoes make my butt look FAT? *I'm just say'en

LIFE IS LIFE

Epilepsy (from the Ancient Greek ἐπιληψία epilēpsía) is a common chronic neurological disorder characterized by recurrent unprovoked seizures. These seizures are transient signs and/or symptoms of abnormal, excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain] About 50 million people worldwide have epilepsy, with almost 90% of these people being in developing countries. Epilepsy is more likely to occur in young children, or people over the age of 65 years, however it can occur at any time.[5] Epilepsy is usually controlled, but not cured, with medication, although surgery may be considered in difficult cases. However, over 30% of people with epilepsy do not have seizure control even with the best available medications. Not all epilepsy syndromes are lifelong – some forms are confined to particular stages of childhood. Epilepsy should not be understood as a single disorder, but rather as syndromic with vastly divergent symptoms but all involving episodic abnormal electrical activity in the brain.

you

I am curious how Scientology guided them to treat Jett's illnesses.

mommasboy

All of the media is going to swoop down on Mr. Travolta's testimony. I think it is very sad. I don't think this has anything to do with Scientology and I'll wager to say that no one writing in here even truly knows about it, including myself. It does seem to me that the "stars" that we know practice this faith appear to be happy and good people. Having said that, why does anyone think they have the right to know all of the private details in one's family? I have lost a sibling (as an adult) and it aged my parents overnight by at least 10-12 yrs. They have never been the same nor have me and my siblings. My heart aches that this family has to endure their private pain like this in public.

Jane

Leave this poor family alone!!! And what good would it help the "autism" community to come out and say this is what his son had? Maybe this isn't what his son had, sounds like a label to me. I used to teach school in the 1990's and we never used autism as a label, now it is way over used!!! And Jenny Mccarthy's son was diagnosed to have autism by a pediatric neurologist and now she comes out and says he doesn't have autism anymore. What, did it just disappear? Maybe he never had it in the first place?!! People and labels are so stupid!!!!!

Carra

Wow. I'm glad John has finally admitted that his son was autistic. Hopefully this will help other Scientologist families admit that their children have a medical problem and actually seek help, rather than denying autism exists.

nowayjose

Everyone stop and think. IF they spent years denying he was autistic so they could mold their lives to their worldview, then watch their son die, because of their denial in acknowledging that fact...or maybe their denial being a contributing cause, no matter how small. Think of what these people have lost in under one year. they lost their son, whom they loved. They lost their blindness to the causes behind their son's illness. They very well could have lost their belief system. This is why they haven't been able to grieve properly. They feel guilty. I can't imagine it. Leave them alone.

jen newman

As the mother of an autistic son, I am angry and disgusted with the Travoltas. This child did not have to die. Had they not been so wrapped up in Scientology and the doctors they were told to go to, this child could have been treated for his seizures and his autism. How dare this family say he had Kawasaki disease because that illness is
recognized by their CULT! What is worse than to be ashamed of your child's problems? Seizures every 5-10 days?????!!!! Again, he did not have to die! It is hard to imagine that people are so dedicated to a cult that was started by a science fiction writer...

Jen Newman

Kris

I don't know why he never admitted to this when he was alive. He could have done so much good. He still can. In Jett's memory.