Travolta Acknowledges Son's Autism

9/23/2009 1:34 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Travolta John Travolta made his first public statement acknowledging Jett had autism.

Travolta told the jury in the Bahamas extortion case that Jett was autistic and suffered seizures every 5 to 10 days. Travolta said, "He was autistic. He suffered from a seizure disorder."

Travolta testified the seizures would last 45 seconds to a minute.

Andie

I don't understand why the Travoltas would risk going somewhere like the Bahamas where hospitals are probably subpar - their foreign vacations were more important than being close to premium medical care for Jett? When Jett had his last seizure John wanted to fly to the US rather than go to a local hospital, did he not think this could happen? Such a tragic, sad story.

mugadoon

I am the parent of a 4 year old Autistic daughter. I have had to fight tooth and nail to get treatment for her because most private insurance companies still consider Autism a psychiatric disorder to avoid having to pay for much needed Occupational, Physical, and Speech Therapy.

I certainly wish that the Travoltas had acknowledged his condition sooner, as someone with his status could have helped promote Autism awareness. But none of you know exactly what type of treatment he was receiving. Many Autistic children have seizure disorders (mine thankfully doesn't). He had 24 hour private caregivers, so perhaps he was receiving ABA therapy? Just because he wasn't on television or writing books about having an Autistic child doesn't mean he wasn't doing everything he could possibly be doing to help Jett, he just chose not to talk about it, and that is his right as a parent.

But keep this in mind; it is NOT John Travolta's job to make his son the poster child of Autism research and awareness. Those of you who criticize him because he chose not to disclose this private information are being very selfish.

Perhaps now, in Jett's memory, John and Kelly will talk about their experience with Jett's journey and help to raise awareness. But if they DON'T... it's noone's business but their own.

RIP, Jett. And best wishes to the Travoltas as they grieve.

janalal4

According to what Harvey said a few minutes ago on the live feed, he was treated conventionally with medication. It's also true that these medications CAN lose their effectiveness over time & stop working & then you must try something else. I've always believed that the Travolta's treated their son medically . These are good & descent people who are not just gonna let their kid suffer & allow his seizures to go uncontrolled. Mean people are just wanting to jump on the 'Scientology' aspect of this story & find fault where there is none.

Anon

I want to know why John denied his sons Autism. His son could have been helped with some medication -for his seizures. I truly do send my condolences but I really want to know why he would do such a thing to his son. Autism is nothing to be ASHAMED of. I know if he were to admit it people would be SUPPORTING him, but now I feel its going to do the opposite. I am glad he came forward about it, but I am upset that his sons death made him finally admit it. I wish he would talk about it more, I wish he would leave Scientology like Jason Beghe did. I truly believe this would help him. He is a good man, and I don't want to see him lose his mind like Cruise.

janalal4

RIP, Jett. And best wishes to the Travoltas as they grieve.

Posted at 6:50PM on Sep 23rd 2009 by mugadoon

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/23/john-travolta-acknowledges-jett-autism-autistic-seizures/8#c21846592#ixzz0RyPX2xMh

I'm with you on this!!
John Travolta & family DON'T OWE ANYBODY ANY EXPLANATION FOR ANYTHING! If he chooses to keep his son's medical info private then good for him. Wonder how all these kid's who's parents HAVE made their kid's "poster kids" for autism are going to feel about their privacy disclosed to the world without them ever having been able to have a say in it! And once again, Harvey stated in the live feed that the Travolta's DID use conventionally medication to treat him.

Tim

While my heart aches for John and Kelly Travolta, as the father of an autistic boy I can only hope that they decide to take the opportunity to give Jett's death some "meaning", give him a legacy to be proud of, and attone for years of denial becuase of their religion - by devoting their considerable clout to raising awareness and money towards to fight to eliminate a disorder that his ONE OUT OF EVERY 150 CHILDREN in North America.

quita

First, I am so sad for the Travoltas losing their son. I don't even want to imagine how difficult that must be.

I am stunned that John Travolta has finally admitted his son was autistic!!!! Although, what good it does now, I don't know. He and his wife claimed Jett had Kawasaki's Disease because their "religion" views people with Autism as "damaged". It is completely messed up that they would deny this fact and try to disguise it as something else to appease the Scientology powers that be. That is absolutely disgusting. They should have accepted the fact that Jett was autistic and got him the proper medical attention that addressed his autism specifically. The Travoltas could have brought so much attention and awareness to Autism had they admitted the truth. To those of you who say they didn't have to make Jett's situation public, these people live in the public eye!! No matter how much they wanted to hide Jett away from paparazzi and the public, there were still photos taken of Jett and we all knew that something wasn't right about him. They should have just admitted it, but I guess they were too ashamed about it because of Scientology. I've read that John is now shying away from this cult. To quote a previous post: "Too little, too late."

Clinton

So much for Scientolocrap!

Michelle

I have an 8 year old son with autism and I am so glad to see John Travolta finally speaking the truth about Jett. There is no shame in admitting your child has autism. The shame is reserved for Big Pharma (think mandated mercury laden vaccines) and the medical establishment in creating this autism tsunami we have now. One in every 100 children are diagnosed with autism at this point. Good for you John, I hope you can finally experience some closure now.

P.S. If one in every 100 children today were going blind, don't you think the government would DO SOMETHING about it? kinda makes you think doesn't it?

Mariah

Just because they are famous does not mean they "owe" the public any response about their son. And just because they didn't let you and me know what their son had, does not mean they did not have the boy followed by specialists for the condition. I don't care if they said he had Kurosake, Nagasaki Sydrome (whatever the hell) or a constant state of Asian flu, it is their business. If I were them I would have just told the court he had a condition that made him susceptible to seizures (or something like that). This was not a trial to find out what the kid had. What the boy's condition was has no bearing on why they are in court. Leave these people alone.

LostNMissing

Apparently, people believe that all celebrities need to publicly divulge the medical conditions of their minor children. What a shame. Do people not realize that perhaps the Travolta's chose to keep their son's condition private as he was a vulnerable child? I commend the Travolta's for keeping Jett's' personal medical information among only those that had a need to know. It's bad enough that paparazzi feel they have a right to exploit the children of celebrities...and lets not forget all the stalkers, too...yet common people expect that the Travolta's should have publicly stated their son was autistic? For what purpose may I ask? To fulfill someone's need to know? The Autism Association is doing quite well with getting the word out and has a number of those who wish to represent them...the fact the Travolta's chose to keep this within their own family unit has nothing to do with religion...but pure common sense. Please let this family grieve without having to answer to "those with inquiring minds."

Tricia

I find the whole thing incredibly sad. Being exploited in a time of such grief just shows that some folks have no morals at all these days. I do not agree with the way scientology deals with developmental disabilities but it is their right to believe in whatever they want. As the mom of a toddler with a developmental disability, i am all too familiar with the comments people make and the glares out in public. I can only imagine how that could be for a celebrity. He could have brought more light to autism but he chose not to. We are all entitled to that choice. Maybe someday his choice will change.

poppy

Acknowledging NOW that their son was autistic is too little too late. It almost was like they were embarrassed that they had an autistic child. Shame on them. Their dishonesty and their holier than thou attitude is partly to blame. NORMAL parents do not PRETEND. I guess money and power clouds common sense and scientology clouds love.

Dirksgirl

29. As the mother of an autistic son, I am angry and disgusted with the Travoltas. This child did not have to die. Had they not been so wrapped up in Scientology and the doctors they were told to go to, this child could have been treated for his seizures and his autism. How dare this family say he had Kawasaki disease because that illness is
recognized by their CULT! What is worse than to be ashamed of your child's problems? Seizures every 5-10 days?????!!!! Again, he did not have to die! It is hard to imagine that people are so dedicated to a cult that was started by a science fiction writer...
I couldn't agree more with what Jen wrote.
Jen Newman

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/23/john-travolta-acknowledges-jett-autism-autistic-seizures/2#comments#ixzz0S2ZXUHLj

poppy

Since John is finally no longer in denial about his son, maybe he can open up and no longer be in denial about how Kelly is a skank who did a whole lot of drugs and did a whole lot of men before he married her. She makes me sick how when ever you see her she asks like she is so educated and so much better than everyone else when she is a stupid ho who hit the jackpot when she married money. How she's the perfect wife and mother-------bs!