« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Rev. Al:

Plaxico's Sentence

'Unusually Harsh'

9/23/2009 2:25 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Reverend Al Sharpton is coming out swinging against Plaxico Burress' 2-year prison sentence -- claiming Plax's punishment is "way out of proportion with the crime."

Rev. Al Sharpton -- Plaxico Burress
The Rev just sent us the following statement:

"I think it is an unusually harsh sentence for someone who was his own victim. He should be punished but his sentence is way out of proportion with the crime.

Celebrities should not be given special treatment but they should not be given exceptional punishments either."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

rowdygirl

Did Al make any comments when Dante Stallworth killed someone and didn't have to pay the price? Sure.. he can't have a driver's license again, and he paid a monetary bribe, oops.. settlement, but he KILLED SOMEONE !!
WOnder why everyone seems to have forgotten that?
Yes, I think 2 years in jail is over the top. But why did he have an unlicensed gun, and then take it into a public space? If he's so ignorant that he would shoot himself in the leg, he does deserve some punishment. Obviously he knows nothing about gun safety and he shouldn't have had one.

nemo

Nothing like having a racist, riot enticing, accessory to murder, thug like Sharpton coming to your defense. Fat Al should be in jail for life before this moron should.

TELLINDATRUTH

Listen people, a lot of celebrities carry guns because of the safety issue with other people trying to rob them. A lot of professional ball players carry guns for just that reason, to protect themselves against others. This is also why a lot of them have to have bodyguards because our society has gotten so crazy. Of course this is about race, no doubt about it in this particular case and Rev. Sharpton should bring it to our attention. This guy is not a criminal. Some of you RACIST people, as soon as you see a black face, you side against them. But I've also seen where people are ALLOWED to carry a gun at a Presidential speech and on the AMTRACK. But I guess that is OK huh WHITE people???!!!Stupid REDNECKS, go back to your cave and take your small brains with you.

Amanda

I don't really watch football and I didn't know who he was before this story broke. However, I don't think his punishment has anything to do with him being black. I do think that unless there is some legal issue from his past that we don't know about, going to prison for 2 years is WAY too harsh. He did take a loaded gun into a public place which I think was very poor judgement on his part. Who knows where that bullet could have gone or why he took the gun with him to begin with. The fact of the matter is this... He did break the law and he shouldn't have taken the gun with him but, as far as I can tell the punishment doesn't fit the crime. There have been many other celebrities that have killed people by drunk driving and have gotten off with a month or two in jail. Tell me, where is the justice in that??

Just call me trailer trash....

crawl back under that rock sharpton you stupid racist old fool, why don't you say what you really mean....it's cuz he's black right?

tdrury

Al Sharpton is one of the biggest racist out there.

Buster

Two years for shooting himself? Ah, that is time served in my opinion. Glad I live in an open carry state. Glad we support the second amendment.

Liisa

The sentence was harsh. Period. Black or white the sentence was too harsh.

Crystal826

It does seem harsh. Does anyone know when he will be due for probation?

Pocket Rocket

BlackKnight;
This sentence is ridiculous and it has nothing to do with black or white. There are people coming to health care hearings with guns on the hip, leg, and back with political figures 100 yards away. Yea, sing the argument about its legal in those states; that's a load of horse dump. This is not a crime with a 2 year sentence. At best it should be no more than 30 days and 2000 hours of community service. Our legal system is screwed up. On sports talk shows you have ball players, wrestlers, musicians, actors, entertainers, etc protecting themselves with a gun when they do not want the expense of body guards or an entourage. This sentence was for gang members, petty thieves, and violent criminals but not for million-air pro-athletes trying to protect themselves from someone wanting to exploit their financial success.

Something to remember:
Look at the boxer in Atlanta (can’t remember his name), that was robbed, shot, and killed by a petty thief who took his Rolex watch. We are average working citizens with average income. We cannot understand their financial life style from our view. All high paid people in the lime light are one event away from this unfortunate occurrence.

christy

This piece of crap DOES NOT stand up for injustice. He causes everything to be racial period. You morons who are saying he got off easy, this man had an ILLEGAL weapon in a public establishment. I do not care if he shot himself or not. What was his reason to have an CONCEALED ILLEGAL WEAPON? I suppose you think this is the first time he has done this? I suppose you think he had it for no ill reason? I also suppose with his money he had no way of legally obtaining this weapon or carrying one? You really make me sick and show what is wrong with this country. The one who keeps trying to compare to Cheneys shooting accident, I guess you dont understand the difference of someone having a legal right to be having that gun and just being stupid and accidently hitting that guy as opposed to someone hiding a weapon that could of hit anyone and had no legal right to that weapon. At best Cheney could of gotten a misdemeanor out of it. Hunting accidents happen alot. But then again thugs carrying concealed illegal weapons happen alot to. I wonder if this football player had been white if the racist pig al sharpton would say a word? Me thinks not!

TELLINDATRUTH

SHUT UP CHRISTIE, YOU ARE THE TYPICAL REDNECK RACIST REPUBLICAN AND YOUR COMMENTS PROVE IT. HE IS NOT A THUG AND HE SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN PROBATION. THE KLAN WEARS A BLACK ROBE NOW. GO WATCH YOUR HE HAW RERUNS.

Connie

Too harsh....

SCFredV

For over 25 years New York has had a law, which was applied to Bernie Goetz when he tamed a pack of Sharpton's favorite sources of income; the Black criminal. That law calls for a mandatory one year sentence for possession of an unregistered handgun. I do not believe handguns should be registered, but that is the law the people of New York supported. Otherwise, it would have been reversed already. Bernie did his one year and Plax should do his. Now, New York, as well as most places, also has a law against discharging a firearm in a public place, which IS a good law. Plax violated that one as well, so he gets a second year. He shot himself, but as recklessly as he shot himself he could have shot someone else. Ergo, the punishment DOES fit the crime. If Sharpton does not like it, let him do the time with Plax as a statement of protest. After all, he too is no stranger to the cell, although he has been shown more leniency and has taken advantage of more offered loop holes than most. Cannot bring myself to call him Rev. I am a minister and not in the same category as he claims to be.

Obama is Gay

Call Obama maybe he will pardon him