Sharon Tate's Sis -- Polanski Didn't 'Rape'

9/30/2009 9:41 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Debra Tate -- the sister of Roman Polanski's second wife Sharon Tate -- doesn't want the director hauled back to the U.S. to be prosecuted.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Tate went on the "Today" show this morning, claiming Polanski wouldn't get a fair trial stateside for the rape of a then-13-year-old-girl back in 1977 -- because our "system is broken" -- and the matter would be better served in France ... whatever that means -- France can't prosecute him.

Tate added there's a difference between "rape and rape" -- and this was "a consensual matter."

Nadine

OMG she seems to think there are different degrees of rape..what a complete idiot! This woman obviously has no children of her own. Consentual under the age of consent or forcable, it is what it is and this pedofile deserves to be prosecuted.

janicebyrne01

Was Debra there at the time???? Of course she wasn't, so Mr P is, by his own admission, guilty of rape. He admitted the crime then fled the country. Bring him back to the USA to face jail.

There is no such thing as reality tv

There is no such thing as consensual sex between a grown man and a thirteen year old. It is wrong and illegal. Why anyone would pick up for him is beyond me.

Lou

Debra Tate is an idiot. This woman has to be down right stupid to say a 13 year old consented to sex. This was rape; plain and simple.

chicken head

you know what?? if her sister lived Mr P would be screwing little girls left and right anyway -

Santeria

I can not get over the fact that she said this I mean this is the sister of Sharon Tate her sister was murdered how can a 13 year give permission he raped a child! She has left a bad taste in my mouth she needs to shut up and get a clue maybe she needs to be put in this girls place I am in shock that a man famous or not can get away with this! I am a mother to two girls and I know that if someone hurt my girls like that there would be no trail because I would kill that bastard and enjoy my stay in prison he is a pig who needs a taste of what that poor girl went through I hope that he goes to prison in California there are a few boys who would give a nice welcome. This chick needs to go jump off a cliff I am in complete shock what a bitch!

Carolyn A-B

Debra Tate has no business being a victim's advocate.

A 13 y.o. CHILD was drugged and anally raped by a man in his 40s who took advantage of her. It was not "consensual" once the drug taking happened, and due to her status as a minor. The girl could not consent due to her intake of the pharmaceutical; she was impaired. Polanski had no business sharing drugs with a minor. He took advantage of his friend, Jack Nicholson, and committed the crime in his house.

Mr. Polanski tragically lost his wife and unborn child due to the "Manson family" killings. He got some sympathy in the press, and in the courts. But he never should have fled the jurisdiction. It's time to face the music.

Pookie

Also..
Why does no celebrity in Hollywood come into the spotlight
now to say he is wrong and should be in jail?

In all Hollywood does not one person have the guts to say
Rape is Rape and the convicted rapist should be in jail?

kat

Is this woman crazy? (along with the rest of hollywood who are pleading his case)!...who would ever consider sex with a 13 year old consensual...this child was even under the influence of alcohol and drugs. I hope they throw the book at this pedophile.

just a thought

"a consensual matter." Does that mean when you drug a child and they are too young, scared and drugged out to fight, they have consented? Wow....I hope she doesn't have kids.

Cindy

Sorry, but let's face it, Hollywood is full of strange, immoral people.

taminica

I can't believe these people what the hell is wrong with them, I'm glad he is finally getting what he deserves he has gotten away with it for too long and so what if it wasn't "rape" he still had sex with an under aged girl. R.Kelly went through the same thing and it wasn't "rape" either but they didn't even think about releasing him from jail he went through a long trial and I think Roman should too, just because he is respected by these people that he knows him I don't respect him at all I never had respect for him ever since before the murder of his wife Sharon Tate. He didn't love her because if he did he wouldn't have treated her the way he did and cheating on her over and over again, she had to practically beg him to marry her.

The Seer

I think we should boycott any business or product produced by every single piece of garbage on the list of persons who brazenly support this child rapist. There is power in numbers. The PEOPLE can send a powerful message to Hollyweird that they've gone too far this time with their twisted and deviant behavior. WE NEED TO BOYCOTT.

A list of business associations should be added to the list of Polanski petitioners' names. This way, we the PEOPLE can boycott all of these morally bankrupt child rapist supporters. What do you say, TMZ?

I bet they'd rue the day they ever came out in support of Polanski if their millions stopped rolling in.

Why does Hollywood support a child rapist? Only reasons I can think of are MONEY and BECAUSE THEY WOULD WANT THE SAME DONE FOR THEM BECAUSE ALL OF THEIR HANDS ARE DIRTY TOO.

They call for letting rapist Polanski off the hook? We call for Boycott!

BOYCOTT BOYCOTT BOYCOTT!

Here's a link to the list of SLIMEBALLS:

Let's root them out where they live: their business interests. Boycott every last one of them!

Liz

A 13 year old is a child, and cannot consent to anything! I wonder how Ms. Tate would feel if her 13 year daughter was drugged by a 45ish year old man, who then had sex with this child. Doubt seriously she'd think of it as "consensual".

Typical Hollyweird coming to the defense of a child rapist. Polanski avoided punishment for 30 years, he fled like the coward that he is, and he shouldn't be above the law. Bring his sorry a** back and thrown him in a jail cell with Bubba. Maybe then Roman would also get a dose of "consensual" sex.

blonde

The Grand Jury testimony can be found on thesmokinggun.com.Anybody who thinks this was OK or should be dismissed REALLY needs to read it!
He also seems pretty slick about it,I suspect there are others(maybe slightly older)who were treated like a piece of a** without a second thought.