GLAAD: Mickey Rourke Is 'Painfully Ignorant'

10/9/2009 4:12 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Mickey RourkeThe president of The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) just personally issued the following statement, condemning Mickey Rourke for defending the use of the homophobic f-word:

"This is a slur that, regardless of what Mickey Rourke has convinced himself that it means, is often the last word that gay people, and gay youth in particular, hear before they're bullied, harassed or assaulted.

Rourke is showing himself to be painfully ignorant of how this vulgar, abusive slur feeds a climate of anti-gay hatred, intolerance and violence.

Rourke either needs to figure this out, or media needs to stop giving him a platform for promoting these kinds of slurs.
"

-Jarrett Barrios -

He's just another Idiot

I'm tired of militant gays and lesbians. Who cares if you sleep with the same sex or a water buffalo. Just shut up!

Grouch

So under glaad's rules, Rourke isn't allowed to twist the meaning of words but they are?

Glaad are the intolerant bigots.

dee

Yes, gay people call each other the F word as a term of endearment, but some black people also use the N word to each other. A lot depends on who says it and how it's said. If it's said in anger or out of stupidity, it's not acceptable.

Ned

Screw GLAAD (hehehehe). They get their panties in a wad the minute the soap drops.

Ziggy

GLAAD gets mad about everything. I'm sure Mickey Rourke could care less as he snorts another hit of coke into his silicone face. The gays and lesbians are a pain in the ass, literally.

Joe

GLAAD is so gay. And gay means lame!

jeremy

gays dont want equal rights, they want special rights.

Linda

The word itself is not the problem it is merely the context that people take issue with. In Great Brittan it is a term for a cigarette and its original intended term was a bundle of sticks. Consider this the swastika to the people of India and many other places in the world it is a good symbol however to many of us in the rest of the world because of Hitler the symbol is dammed forever as a symbol of hate. I am sure Mickey said something really insensitive that is kind of his MO. I’m not surprised he’s not the classiest of characters.

whitney

And I hate being called a cracker and any other term that goes along with being white, but you don't hear me whining to some stupid organization to do something about it. I take it most of the time and shrug it off. As we all used to say when we were kids- "Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me." GET OVER IT!

kerrybabyxx

It kind of surprises me that a entertainment site,would have so many gay haters.I just wonder whether the responses were more from males or females.

me

Oh waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, get over it

mick

that is free speech man. nobody can take that away from mickey, no matter how hurt or gay they are.

Buckz

There's someone at TMZ that wants it hot and heavy in the alley with Mr. Rourke, but also must deal with the reality of Rourke not wanting him back.
Why the hell do you people pick the smallest minutia about this guy to slap across your zine?

Linda Mott

IF ASKED AND YOU ARE NOT IN FAVOR OF, JUST SAY I DONT WANT TO MALINE ANYONE AND ONLY GOD HAS THE RIGHT TO CONDEM. TO TRY TO HURT SOMEONE IS EVIL

trippy fan

People love to control other people. It’s a term that some folks feel they own the rights to. It’s a word that belongs to anyone inclined to use it.
I would not expect MR, who’s been called everything imaginable under the sun for years & years, to go along with being told, he should not be using a specific word, even if it is a sensitive term.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments