MJ Camp -- It Ain't Just Michael's Song

10/12/2009 7:25 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Branca, the special administrator for Michael Jackson's estate tells TMZ Paul Anka is right -- "This Is It" was not written by MJ alone, it was co-written with Paul Anka.

Paul Anka

Branca and his people are negotiating a settlement with Paul Anka's lawyer.

Branca tells TMZ, "We acknowledge that Michael and Paul wrote this song together."

As we first reported, the other special administrator, John McClain, told Anka "We'll give you whatever you want, whatever it takes we'll do the right thing."

janalal4

I LIKED what MJ had to say about reading/writing music. He said, "It's not necessary". Ever heard MJ beat box?? Obviously it WASN'T necessary. Look what he accomplished in his career.

Alexa

I just lost my respect with Paul Anka---I never knew he was the type to run to tabloids just to get publicity and at Michael Jackson's expense. How can he say Michael stole the song when he says Michael CO-WROTE THE SONG WITH HIM??? Is he drunk? This is SONY's FAULT and NEGLIGENCE. Michael had nothing to do with this issue! He shouldnt drag Michael's name in this, this is between SONY and HIM!

He knew for a fact that Michael DID NOT RELEASE THIS SONG HIMSELF! He's dead. Thats why Sony was dealing with a DEMO tape. Im sure Mike never planned on releasing this because if he did, he would have recorded a new version and it wont be the demo version.

Paul Anka should have been more mature in dealing with the issue. He just levelled himself with low-life attention seekers like Kanye West!

a lipstick Lesbian

What happens when the day comes and Branca and McClain disagree with each other.

Look out!

HATERS ARE DESPERATE!

NOW IT'S TIME TO CHECK OUT THE VALIDITY OF THE WILL!!!!!

Hypocrites

Boy I'm loving this. All this hype for this so called MJ song. Then it turns out MJ didn't write it by his self. Ha Ha Ha

THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST DAY EVER FOR ALL US HATERS. LOL

THESE SO CALLED MJ COULD DO NO WRONG PEOPLE OUT THERE. LOL

THEN THEY CALL PAUL NAMES BECAUSE HE TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT IT.

MJ FANS CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH NO HOW NO WAY. LOL

wet

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/12/michael-jackson-katherine-jackson-kids-inheritance-trust/23#comments#ixzz0TljHJlH2

Alexa

------------------
Oh mine. I just listened to both songs and it is the exact song. It's not MJ song but Paul Anka's. This is egg on their faces. They released a song thinking it belongs to MJ. I'm sure part of the settlement is for Anka to say it was co-written by both of them..but I am thinking it only belongs to Paul Anka

Posted at 7:45PM on Oct 12th 2009 by dasanimet

----------------

Sheesh, you are suddenly a music guru is that it?

I suggest you check that song under the US MUSIC COPYRIGHTS OFFICE because that song mentioned by Paul Anka is registered under MICHAEL JACKSON AND PAUL ANKA in 1981. It was definitely registered during OFF THE WALL period.

They wrote that song together. It belongs to Michael Jackson and Paul Anka 50/50! No one stole anything and this is NOT Michael's fault--he NEVER wanted that song released thats why its still the demo version. Michael never made a MASTER recording of that song simply because he had no plans of releasing it--PERIOD! This is SONY's FAULT!

Hypocrites

THIS HAS TO BE THE BEST DAY EVER FOR ALL US HATERS. LOL

THESE SO CALLED MJ COULD DO NO WRONG PEOPLE OUT THERE. LOL

THEN THEY CALL PAUL NAMES BECAUSE HE TOLD THE TRUTH ABOUT IT.

MJ FANS CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH NO HOW NO WAY. LOL

janalal4

54. 331. MJ PYT...what is the unknow doctors name?...that signed the death certificate....and I just have to say this...I hate to pour salt in an open wound...but I have not been able to get this off of my mind....this video of this person jumping out of the coroner's van...the fake one by RTL (German TV)...first...where was this video shot? because I dont think coroner would be spelled using the English language in Germany...and second, how did they get hold of what seems to be a coroner van that appears to have valid license plates...and third...you can hear sirens going off in the background which actually sounds like American sirens...I have trouble believing that it would sound like that in Germany...and lastly, the person shooting the footage appears to be breathing VERY heavy for something that is rehearsed...maybe someone can answer some of these questions for me...I guess I need some more convincing that this was jsut some EXPERIMENT....

Posted at 7:56PM on Oct 12th 2009 by wet

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/12/michael-jackson-paul-anka-this-is-it-john-branca-settlement/4#c22292356#ixzz0Tllbj5EK

The video is admittedly a hoax.See story link below.

Scott

No one seems to get the big picture here....take a step back.

I am so tired of people saying arrest the doctor put him in jail. Wanna know why it hasn't happened? They don't have the case yet! If you like the could do a Sony and arrest him anyway and then watch him walk in 6 months cause they did not get a chance to do there due diligence. Sony got greedy and "rushed" things look what happened...........

Back to Dr. Murray I hope it takes another year to finally arrest him, think about it, other then Osama who is the most hated person on this planet? He can't work he can't pay child support and he is so scared he is probally holed up somewhere asking himself why did I take the job with Michael? Sounds to me like he is living his own personal hell so whats the rush let him rot for a bit.

I don't think it's fair to blame Paul in all this afterall he did co-write the song it's obviously Sony dropped the ball. The only thing that will upset me is if the lawsuit is taken from the estate I think Sony should be solely responsible for the decision to rush this album..........

The kids will get there money in time however just like always it's the lawyers time to eat up what they can.......

DM

Yikes! Some people posting here are just so rude. MJ was a sweet soul. He gave over 300 million to charity during his lifetime. He holds the record! 20% of the money his estate makes on this song will also go to those in need, especially children! How much money have other "celebraties" donated? Paul Anka? How much money will he donate to charities? So sad. Michael should have been awarded the Nobel Prize for Peace! xoxoxo

LuvMJbad

Excuse me to the ignorant RACIST moron who said Mike did not write his own songs just because he didnt read sheet music. FYI, JOHN LENNON and PAUL MC CARTNEY both DON'T know how to read nor write sheet music. Same thing with Michael Jackson. You should really think before opening your mouth!

Maybe you are mixing up history here because its Elvis who never wrote his own songs, coz he never knew how to compose (no offense to Elvis, he was handsome).

Do you think Michael would have won all those copyrights lawsuits from people wanting to steal his songs for money IF HE REALLY DIDNT WRITE THOSE SONGS? Michael WON all copyrights lawsuits against him for several songs including The Girl is Mine which he co-wrote with Paul Mc Cartney while staying at Mccartney's place. And yet someone CLAIMED he co-wrote Michael's part in Girl is Mine. Someone also claimed he wrote WE ARE THE WORLD which Michael wrote while he was with Lionel Richie in a studio! Needless to say, Michael won these lawsuits because HE COMPOSED THE SONGS PERIOD! He did everything:
choreography, lyric composition, beatboxed his whole song melody to the musicians (he's the BEST Ive seen when it comes to beatboxing) and conceptualized his music videos. Thats why he has 200+ MUSIC AWARDS and thats why he is called KING!

Posted at 7:39PM on Oct 12th 2009 by Alan
*******************************************************************

I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent post!

Alexa

Of course Michael Jackson co-wrote this with Paul Anka, I knew that story from way back when! I didnt realize Michael recorded his version because the version they gave to that singer Safire, I didnt like the way Safire sang it. But when I heard this Michael Jackson version---the song really sounds great with a great recall factor in it. For that I applaud Jackson and Anka! 2 GENIUSES making a song--what more can you ask for? The song is great.

Michael Jackson actually composed many songs under a pseudonym because he wasn't allowed to use his name outside Sony Music projects for many many years. I was actually surprised to read that Michael Jackson also COMPOSED my favorite Simpson's song "DO THE BARTMAN" and this was confirmed by the producer of the Simpsons. He said Michael was not allowed to use his name outside Sony projects so they used a pseudonym. Thats why on that Simpson's episode, it wasnt Mike singing Man in the Mirror. His exclusive contract with Sony did not allow him to sing for that.

Well Bravo to Anka and Jackson, I like the song!

Zippy T. Pinhead

Now that MJ is dead, it appears Anka can come out and make up all kinds of wild storys. He's now licking his chops at a big pay day. MJ didn't release this song, all the money hungry hanger-ons did. So Anka sells the rights to this song to some unknown singer and probably made very little $ out of it. However, I bet if he worked out a deal with MJ back in the mid 80's, he'd probably be collecting some big-time royalties.

MusicGal

1.) Branca & McClain ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MESS SURROUNDING THIS SONG - THEY ARE THE ONES WHO HAVE TO CLEAN IT UP!

2.) Paul Anka is one of the most successful songwriters in the history of popular music - anyone in the industry will confirm that. He is NOT the bad guy here. He is simply demanding the SHARED credit and consideration he is entitled too. That is how the business works.

MJ FANS ARE BEING PLAYED. Just keep watching the blogs, websites, MySpace, and FaceBook pages of those who worked with MJ. The sky is falling...

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments