« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

ESPN Benches Bob Griese for 'Taco' Crack

10/26/2009 9:35 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Can anyone at ESPN keep a job? The network suspended Bob Griese today for a racist remark he made about NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

While he was calling Saturday's Minnesota-Ohio State game, Griese made a crack about Montoya saying he was "out having a taco." Montoya is Colombian.

ESPN is yanking Griese off the air for one week, and a rep for the network says Griese "understands the comment was inappropriate."

Yesterday ESPN fired baseball analyst Steve Phillips after news broke of his sex scandal with a production assistant.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

upchuck21

This is unbelievable...could people be anymore sensitive? I think stupid stuff like this really takes away from people who are actually discriminated against. If you are offended by this, you need to get a life. ESPN is really pathetic.

mike Parks

Hey come on guys suspending one of the best anouncers over such a trival comment, has anybody heard what Rev Al Sharpden has said in the pase, and that other one Rev Jessie Jackson, I guess if you are whith then you are a racist no mater what you say. AND yes he did apoligize

LBjim

I'm part Mexican and Bob was quick to address an apology, so I don't take offense to that. The only thing is Juan Pablo is Columbian. That is like calling and Englishman a Scotsman in the Latin world. Griese will be back soon, he is a great commentator. I could see him back in the booth in a couple of weeks..

Tom

I met Bob Griese at a bar in Tampa the night before last years Boston College game. (He was the analyst) Paul Maguire was at the bar too. I was a HUGE Dolphins fan in 70's - the perfect season when he was QB. I went up respectfully, said I was a huge of his (from 30 years ago no less). He was stand off ish and cold. I said it must have been nice to have the offensive line he did with the Dolphins. He agreed but remained cold and distance. I aks for a pic and he said he'll take one when he leaves.
I walk off and this big time BC fan comes over to me and says (about Griese) what an a****** Yep. Arrogant alkee llok at the gin blossoms. Wow how disappointing.

Liz

What are they gonna do to us next? Rip out our tongues! It's not a hate crime! What a bunch of babies.

He's just another Idiot

Steve, You are a Racist Idiot. I like Mexican food and Tacos, especially. So, what? !! Under Dictator Obama we're not going to have free speech anymore?

Ben

Damn! It's not going to be long until we can't say a damned word about ANY friggin' thing in this country without being called on it; no wonder we get bashed by other countries.

Valerie

Can't we all just get along? I think we all should join hands and skip thru daisies... and crap rainbows.

ddberry

Utterly ridiculous. Suspended for that? Why? Because he's Columbian and he should have said he was out scoring some coke?

It gets more pathetic every day.

TheMan

Next thing you know, they'll be calling Napkins & Toilet Paper racist because their white? This PC stuff is getting terribly out of control! Every other heritage has hate crime laws in place, except for Whites. You just can't have a normal conversation anymore, without someone crying racist. Bunch of crybaby weaklings! If us White people are so damn bad, then stay the hell away. History shows, we'll do just fine without you. Sorry, but I'm tired of this crap everyday.

KRAZY KOOKY KLOWN

balls

Medusa

The ref at ESPN looked at me and was thinking " boy she's fat ", i want him fired.... NOW !!

come on ESPN I'M WAITING....

Robin

Glad to hear there are openings. My son graduates from college soon. I will be sure to fax over his resume!

dallas boy

greazy bad complexion....gross!

bookerb

Why does everyone bend so far over backwards to please mexicans? You aren't allowed to utter a single word against anyone darker than you. Why is that? If anybody makes jokes about whitey, hey, that's perfectly OK.