« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star

Punished in Wake

of Gay Slur

10/27/2009 3:05 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

NFL Star Larry johnosnKansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson just issued an apology for hurling a gay slur at reporters yesterday -- but it was too late ... the team has already sidelined him from team activities.

Here's Johnson's apology:

First of all, I want to apologize to the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs and the rest of the NFL, Commissioner Goodell, the Chiefs organization, Coach Todd Haley, his staff, and my teammates for the words I used yesterday"

"I regret my actions. The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate. I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said. "

"I also want to apologize to all the kids who view athletes as role models. I was not a good role model yesterday and hopefully I can become a better role model. We all make mistakes, and the challenge is to learn from them. I will do my best to learn from this one as I move toward becoming a better person, teammate, and member of the Kansas City chiefs team and community."

The Chiefs have "instructed Larry to refrain from practicing with the Chiefs or participating in other team activities" while they conduct an internal investigation.

It's unlikely the incident will affect Larry's play -- it can't get any worse this season.

More Today in TMZ History

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Simone

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

homie 1 kanobe

That's total Bull Schit .NFL get your head out yo azz,We have the First Amendment and you need to be sued "Kansas City Chiefs" for violating Larry Johnson's Civil Rights

homie 1 kanobe

Wake up Sybil, I mean Simone i think :)

Rhonda in Ky

I don't want to hurt anyones feelings... but he has a first amendment right to say whatever he wants to say. I'm tired of people being fired, fined or disfamed for what they say. PLEEEZZE! I believe in the Holy Book... the BIBLE and homosexuality is WRONG! No more than affairs and sex before marriage but none less a sin. Please stop pretending there is nothing wrong with people being gay! The bible says its an abomination! People wake up... before its too late.

Todd da Man

All this is going to do is make people hate homosexuals even more than they already do. Granted, I doubt that I could hate them anymore - after all, I was 'gay bashing' long before they called it that. But still. This is ridiculous.

Eaglewerks

LJ needs to go. Since coming to KC he has been a problem child, harassing women in bars, pulling a handgun out in public, more than one UN-provoked attack on a woman in a public place, and more slurs on others than one can count. LJ needs to saddle-up and ride out of town, if not the tar-n-feathers from the outraged local community will send him out on a rail.

Eaglewerks

LJ needs to go!

Crissy Angela

It's "affect" Larry's play, not "effect".

I'm just sayin'

#9...you beat me to it. The TMZ writing staff are a bunch of baboons. Rafiki from the Lion King must be their editor.

FACT

What he said was wrong. He has apologized lets move on people. It takes a bigger person to apologize. Since he is a "Role Model" what he says can affect lots of people. He deserved the slap on wrist and has owned up to his mistake. I believe in Freedom of Speech but not Hate Speech!!!!

Melissa Baker

I guess freedom of speech only applies to politically correctness now

Roy

Hmm..........Dante Stallworth MURDERS someone while driving drunk, gets away with it by saying it was the fault of the guy he murdered for jaywalking. Then there's the dog-fighter Michael Vicks. Then there's the ass who bought a gun to a night club. Then there's this bigot. The NFL has really lowered their standards, and it's pathetic. For a multi-million-dollar paycheck for half-year's work, it won't kill these people to conduct themselves in a respectable manner.

Jill

blah, blah, blah Larry. 2 little 2 late. apology not accepted.

Larry's friend

NO EFFIN WAY! WHAT A BUNCH OF F***OTS! UN_FREAKIN_REAL! This is ubsured you guys. Seriously? He can say what he wants - no where in his contract does it state that he cannot speak his mind on his own personal time? This is BS. Im FURIOUS that GLAAD is so effin uptight. We're all only human. Come on now - NONE of you have ever referred to something as "gay"??? Bunch of hypocrites.

kp

He could have called the one Chiefs fan directly.

| 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments