MJ Accused of Stiffing Lawyers Out of $1.5 Mil

10/30/2009 7:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonA team of Michael Jackson's former lawyers claim the singer owes them more than $1.5 million dollars stemming from an agreement he signed way back in 2007.

The firm -- Mundell, Odlum & Haws -- filed a creditor's claim against Jackson's estate today, explaining how they were never paid back for a $1,144,808.95 promisary note Jackson signed back in 2007. It's unclear what the note was for.

The firm also claims they were never paid for hundreds of thousands of dollars of legal work they performed for Jackson from December 2007 through June 24, 2009 -- the day before Jackson died.

Grand total -- $1,571,768.62 plus interest.

Add this one to the stack....

Previous 15 Comments | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63

muscles

Now I know damage control/image revamping played a big role in all that for MJ, and LMP said herself she felt used, but there is quite a bit of evidence that she really did have it for him well after the divorce, which - I repeat - is a highly unusual way for woman to behave if there was no sexual attraction at all. She also did have a meltdown for more than a year after the divorce, and due to that relationship, which is not the way any person behaves after the end of a mere marriage of convenience. So, I don't think it was one for, her, even if it may have been for him. And even with the latter, he must have lit her fire enough early on to have caused her all the grief/emotional trauma she suffered later.
cheryl #1019:

MJ also said that she told him not to treat her like "a piece of furniture" - because he wasn't paying her enough attention, or was consumed with his other passions - music, kids, and more (and drugs must have been part of that even then). It caused much friction between them, and MJ admitted that he was hard to live with, but basically said, paraphrasing, I am what I am. If it were only a marriage of convenience, why would she give two hoots what he was giving his attention to other than her?

LMP also wrote several songs about him that were on her albums, veiled of course, because she was still working through her anger and disappointment with him years later. Anger of that particular type is borne of a passion that is rarely ever platonic in its origins, IMO.

nan

muscles

candy girl, Yes, I could see him doing, that, but not the manual labor kind of jobs that many guys from NW Indiana usually had to do if they didn't go to college (especially in the steel mills and the refineries in the area, which was what a lot of men did there at that time).

There is no doubt his musical talents would have emerged regardless even if he hadn't been "discovered" - so, I think he would have been a musician of some kind, even if it was on the side. If he was involved with the church choir, I am sure he'd have been directing the whole production, lol!

I was thinking about this because people say, in defense of Joe, that MJe wouldn't have ever been discovered if it wasn't for Joe pushing them so hard, but, on the other hand, that is what may have messed up Michael so much off the stage. It all came at a terrible price, but I think even MJ himself said he wouldn't have wanted his life to have been different.

Still, I was thinking whether he would have been happier (and lived a longer life) if it had all been different - without the abuse, without the seedy clubs as a small child, without the warping effects of extreme celebrity and fame. Of course the world would never have born witness to all that talent, and that would have been a shame too. But I think he would not have been so troubled and lonely if he'd just lived a normal life and channeled all that intelligence and talent into another avenue.

I've mentioned before that I grew up in a city next to Gary, and I am MJ's age, and I think he probably would have stayed out of trouble and graduated H.S., and then gone to college or art school - something like that. I have no doubt he would have gotten out of Gary eventually, and "moved it on up" anyway, because (despite his shyness and reserve) he was also a highly intelligent, competitive and ambitious person, and he would have applied that to whatever endeavor he pursued without doubt. He also would have learned various life coping skills (that he never developed due to his fame throughout his youth). So, I feel certain he would have been successful anyway, just not the same kind or degree of success.

Of course, he never had a choice, and it does look like the life he did lead, for better and for worse, was his absolute destiny. Just wish it could have ended differently, but I am glad that TII is helping to redeem, revive, and remind his authentic artistic greatness.

____________
1022. muscles...if he wasnt so shy he probably might have made a kickin televangelist.and he probably would have done the right thing with the money.just imagine a revival ala james brown ,awesome

Posted at 9:36PM on Nov 2nd 2009 by candy girl

bunny

MJFan, hope you come back here because I want to thank you very much for posting the link to the red carpet where Jermaine is chatting to a very smirking and jovial-looking Tohme Tohme.
No doubt in my mind that there was a conspiracy and these 2 are part of it.

Cher

Seriously I think a few comment writers on here are some of the "few friends" Dr. Murray aka Murder alluded to on his infamous Youtube speech.
#1016: Deadbeat? He was one of the top givers of charity in the world, certainly for all celebrities. You have to remember, he wasn't pulling in a working man's salary, he made MILLIONS, ergo, HE DID NOT PAY HIS OWN BILLS! How many times do people have to spell that out on these boards? Also, how many times do they have to say that all of these creditor's claims is normal for a star of Michael's calibre. You said he doesn't pay his bills like us hard-working folks, but you forget he wasn't like us. We can go wherever we want and not be chased by hundreds of paps, he couldn't. If we miss a car note, we could catch up and all is forgotten but for him, it's front page news. We may choose to have children spend the night in our homes, but it doesn't result in Child Molestation charges (would you be worrying about paying these random bills when you're faced with that?)

The problem is not that he thinks someone owed him something, but that we think HE owed us something--simply because we buy his music. He was a talented genius, a loving father and philanthropist who was too much for this 2-bit world--LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!

BTW--Lisa Marie loved Michael and he loved her. Both of them said so and I believe them. Lisa Marie is now married to her latest husband because he was the strength she needed to get through how devastated she was after divorcing Michael. Michael has stated that whenever he saw Lisa Marie in a Mag with another guy, he was sad because it should've been him.

People constantly want to pick this man apart and come up with all of these crazy scenarios about his life, but I suspect life for Michael was way simpler than we think. I truly think Michael's life has it's strongest parallels to Mozart's (I wonder if he ever thought of that.) He was a force of nature, but he was still under it all, a man.

Peace--Michael/iluvu2infinity

Javiera Droguett

Pleasse let he man alone. How could be the people so cruel. Sometimes I really think than the only people who REALLY miss him are the fans, but his the damn people who was close to him, no one little true tear, just, even when he wasn't cold, star to count the money. I hope you'll feel pain for your self.

Shame.

janalal4

1021. But that kiss could be interpreted in many ways. One, their relationship was already getting rocky by then, and I believe she said was p*ssed at him because she hadn't seen him for several days just before that, and because she had already said she didn't want to do the kiss before they went out there (it was his manager's idea). She was getting uncomfortable with the PR stunts that she was being pushed to be part of I infer from reading the various interviews where she commented directly on these things (Playboy and Rolling Stone in-depth interviews). So, that, along with her shyness on that stage (she was squeezing MJ's arm/hand tightly the whole time) can explainssome of the awkwardness of that kiss, though I didn't really see it the way at the time. I thought MJ really laid a nice one on her, and I don't believe I've ever seen him behave (or look) more "manly" in his whole life than the time he was with her.

cheryl #1019:

Posted at 6:59PM on Nov 2nd 2009 by muscles

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/30/michael-jackson-accused-of-stiffing-lawyers-out-of-1-5-million/69#comments#ixzz0VnZEdzOx

Agree! LMP had it bad for MJ! The kiss? LMP looked uncomfortable but when he bent down to kiss her, she definitely seemed to be enjoying that kiss, just not the fact that they were doing it in front of a big audience or that it was PLANNED. When she said that "He loved me as much as he was capable of loving anyone." I'd say that statement says it all. I think MJ's ability to love any woman was probably screwed up from childhood. I think he did love her but believe that loving her was a means to an end: children. She probably DID feel used.

I think that having your mother watch your father beat the crap out of you as a child & not intervening for years(until the damage was done & it was too late) would create quite a distrust of women. An 'abandonment' of sorts where one might feel that no woman will ever truly be there for you. MJ made this statement & Schmuley has it on tape.

janalal4

Peace--Michael/iluvu2infinity

Posted at 4:02AM on Nov 3rd 2009 by Cher

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/10/30/michael-jackson-accused-of-stiffing-lawyers-out-of-1-5-million/69#c22786402#ixzz0VneWJlH6

And that Nicolas Cage marriage? What a rebound marriage! MJ was definitely a source of contention in their household. When Nic Cage was asked why they divorced, he stated that he didn't happen to wear one sequined glove. Hmmmmm??

I am one who always wished that LMP had hung in there & that they had been able to work things out. Would have taken a LOT of work though. Understanding about addiction has come a long way in the last 10 years but I always felt she really didn't try hard enough in that regard. If she had enough influence over him to get him into rehab once, then obviously he was willing to listen to what she had to say. I think there were just too many other factors involved as well; not to mention she had 2 children of her own living in that house with him that she had to think about & protect. Just never felt like she gave the marriage long enough(1 1/2 years?). I guess unless your 'on the inside' of someones relationship, you just never really know.

liz

Lisa never wanted her children to live with Michael, so that would have always been a problem for her. Lisa also did not like living at Neverland, she never gave up her homes.

Michael also stayed surrounded by all his little "boy" friends so they never had time together, went anywhere or did anything

liz

I do think that Lisa and Michael were very good friends, and she cared deeply about him, and was frustrated that she was unable to change his ways, or have any influence on his behaviors. That made Lisa feel powerless, and she could see that Michael was clearly on a path to destruction, which was hard to watch.

liz

If LMP loved Michael so much, why didn't she support him during his court trial, or testify, like Debbie did? Both of these women really cared about Michael, and I think Grace did too, and of course Eliazbeth Taylor and Liza were good friends to him and there was always his mother. It wasn't as if there weren't women willing to always stand by him. Janet, Rebbie, and maybe LaToya too.

liz

I remember there was a period right after LMP divorced Michael when whe started to joke and make fun of Michael and the marriage, but then she either thought about her comments, or someone gave her advice to shut up, because she stopped. Priscilla nearly had apoplexy when she heard about that marriage, and didn't even believe it. Lisa married him 2 days after divorce #1

Can you honestly think that a young, famous, beautiful, desirable, billionaire like Lisa is going to admit publicly that she chose to marry a man that wasn't into her?

Jacko Was A Wacko