Kramer Turns Racist Rant Into a Joke

11/17/2009 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Three years ago today, Michael Richards took the stage at the Laugh Factory and unleashed the racist tirade that would change his life forever -- but now he's turning the whole thing into a joke ... arguably inappropriate.

Richards made light of the rant on this weekend's episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." During one of the scenes, Richards -- playing himself -- blows his top at an African-American character, saying, "If only there were a horrible name that I could call you ... that would make you as angry as I am."

A group of spectators who witness the tirade instantly whip out their cell phones and begin to record. Richards, realizing the similarity of events, screams and bolts.

Couple of problems here: First off, the original tirade was shot on a DIGITAL CAMERA -- not a cell phone.

Second: Is Richards mocking himself ... or the digital-recording culture that exposed his greatest mistake? In other words, is Richards and "Curb" trying to make a bad joke out of a serious situation?

bigman

Amy

Dad, Harvey won't come out of the closet!!

Mike

This is a just a wild guess, but I'm betting that the guys at TMZ don't watch Curb regularly. Hell, I'm not sure they even saw this full episode as they fail to put that scene into context of the show. If they did I'm sure TMZ would also be complaining about the way LD talked about the little kid's rash or Mr. Black's insistence that you need to "recharge the mitzvah" every 13 years.

And seriously, it was 3 years ago. If you're still too sensitive for a joke to be made about it, I suggest you all cancel HBO and still to watching Nickelodeon.

Laughing

TMZ - You really need to pull this story - makes you all look the joke. Sometimes it is so obvious TMZ is trying hard to "make" a story where there isn't one. Please - buy bigger underwear.... yours are too tight!

Rowan

Slow gossip day? Is it really a PROBLEM that in the scene they use cell phone cameras instead of digital cameras? And how are you unsure if he was mocking his own stupid behavior?

Does Harvey know you wrote this piece? Are you an intern? Obviously you know nothing about comedy and if you think this is gossip worthy, I would rethink what you do for a living.

nemo

32. people get a freaking life you racist people have nothing else better to do than play with yourselves.....that washed out actor is a racist just like number 15 and 5....bums....you are sour because we now have a black president who is doing more now...and if not you bums would be eating out of trash cans...jerks

Posted at 1:36PM on Nov 17th 2009 by bigman

****************************************

Easily the funniest thing I've read on here all day!!! Yeah, I'm pretty sure the MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people whose jobs Obama has lost for them are eating out of trash cans, you moron

razzledazzle200

What are you guys talking about? I saw that original clip. It sure as hell looked like a cell phone to me, all pixelated and everything. It looks like you guys are just trying to make trouble. A lot of people love "Curb." Back off. Hey, Larry, this could have been a lot funnier. Disappointed.

Marta

That's EXACTLY what he should have done in the first place instead of making such a big deal, or ordeal. Words can only be hurtful when intended to. Black people are not historically hurt by words but by actions. Words don't discriminate, actions do. Humor relaxes. Larry makes fun at everything, that's what life should be.

Disgusting

Seriously? What was "inappropriate" and flat out not funny was the part with the little girl. Body shiver gross disguised as being edgy humor.

NJ

Ignorant coward he is. Imbecile, retard. He needs a good azz whooping.

nemo

"Black people are not historically hurt by words"

What the hell are you smokin'!?!?!?! We're the only country in the world to where if a white person utters anything remotely close to being negative against blacks they have to go on 100 talk shows with Jessie "I'm head of the black KKK" Jackson, and apologize until they're blue in the face. Good grief man. Blacks are the most sensitive people on the face of the earth. They make Harvey's kind look like the Spartans in 300.

Bryan

Good lord, TMZ...LIGHTEN UP!

It's been 3 years.
Don't you think you should let it go?
It appears as though Richards has (or, at least trying to).

How about you give props to Richards and Larry David for addressing the issue.

rhbjorn

So could TMZs stand on minority issues have anything to do with it being run by a gay,Jewish,short,semi-vegetarian lawyer. No perish the thought

Chiefen Ki

I'm black and I love Curb!! I agree with #31. TMZ is trying to start trouble. I thought the scene was funny as hell!!! I have no complaints. Leon made racists comments too. It was all in fun Curb humor! The End. Next story please...

P.S.
I'm still laughing because I watched it again last night. LMAO!!!

raarrr

Lemme guess the fat black chick staffer wrote this article/post? Go figure! This skit was freaking hilarious on curb!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments