Janet Jackson -- Family Interventions Failed

11/18/2009 11:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

According to Janet Jackson, her family had tried several times to stage interventions before Michael died of a drug overdose -- but, obviously, they "weren't very successful."

Janet Jackson: Click to watch
In an interview with Robin Roberts, Janet talked about their attempts to get Michael clean, and though she says he understood "that it was out of love," she added "people tend to be in denial."

As we previously reported, Janet holds Dr. Murray responsible for killing her brother.

Smooth Criminals

So how do these interventions jive with Katherine and the brothers denying that Michael had a drug problem? Didn't his own family's public denial feed into Michael's denial? The Jacksons can't have it both ways. Did they involve an addiction specialist in their interventions? They also had the leverage of having minor children in the home. Did family or the nanny report the situation to CPS or were they just concerned about cutting them off financially?

11 September 2007 19:31

MICHAEL JACKSON - MICHAEL JACKSON'S MUM SLAMS 'HEINOUS' DRUG REPORTS

MICHAEL JACKSON's mother has hit out at reports of the singer's alleged drug and alcohol problems, dismissing the accusations as "troubling and heinous". The Thriller star is said to have developed a dependency on drink and painkillers, forcing his family to step in to look after his business affairs, according to reports in U.S. magazine, People. But Katherine Jackson - supported by her sons Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Jackie - has blasted the claims as "inaccurate" and "defamatory", insisting the publications making the false accusations are only motivated by financial gains. In a statement issued by Jackson's representative, Raymone K. Bain, Katherine also calls for an end to the rumours. She says: "People magazine has followed other publications in reporting untrue and inaccurate information about Michael Jackson and the Jackson family. "Of these widely reported rumors, what has become the most troubling and heinous, is that my son, and our brother, Michael Jackson, is dependent on painkillers and alcohol. People, and other news organizations, have quoted 'sources' indicating that our family has attempted a drug intervention, and engaged in an effort to take over his business affairs, because of this alleged drug and alcohol usage. "We categorically deny ever planning, participating in, or having knowledge of any kind of intervention, whatsoever. We strongly believe that these 'sources' and others, no matter who they are, are making these defamatory, inaccurate, and untrue claims for monetary reasons. "Michael Jackson, and the Jackson family, has endured years of false accusations and misrepresentations. It is time for these unfair and hurtful rumors, for profit, to end."

Glendetta

What she says contradicts the final autopsy report. MJ was not addicted. Very confusing. And another thing, I guess peeing in a cup is more news worthy than reporting the death of Evan Chandler eh TMZ?

MJ's PYT

Good Morning TMZ...#49 Billie Jean Jackson, This is truly sad.
Mj in denial or just not wanting help. As for Dunk, I like Janet
But that da@n actress role needs to be tucked away when she's not on set. Its like she be in her own world. I've caught Dunk acting a few times since MJ's death. The BET awards, the quivering
lips trying to force out words. The Memorial, hmm, I'll say she was a aunt trying to comfort her niece but biting the bottom lip
and the "speak up honey,in the mic". Very motherly. Lets go to
the funeral, the exit from the car. Dunk is too much.Having said
that i believe Janet is in pain and was close to Mj at one point.
The way that family grieves blows me.

NeverMind

To so called MJ fans:

Let make the list of those you blame for his death, shall we?
Bunch of "crooked" doctors
Bunch of molestation "accusers"
Bunch od "dishonest" business affiliates/associates (such as AEG, Tohme Tohme)
Bunch of "enablers" among his employees
Bunch of "enablers" among his friends
and, of course, "greedy" Jackson family

Am I the only one who is seeing any patterns here?
Why weren't any honest and honorable people around MJ? Perhaps, it speaks of his own character. No?

BTW, why don't you (so called fans) add yourselves to the list? You "enabled" him as well by handing on to every word he ever said and justifying everything he ever did.

Irene

I just have very mixed feelings about this, like yesterday with the other part of the interview.
I miss the "I want justice, I'm so very angry" mode, it's all so "flat".
At least that's my impression.
Even when someone is in denial you can still take action and start an intervention!
I will never understand this.

freebizy

Looking forward to Janet's interview... I'm so sad for her and the family. Truth and Justice for Michael... find out more here:

roseanne

It is not true anything: before they said they (the family) didn't succeed in approaching Michael, then they said they irrupted in his house......they don’t know not even thing to invent! Michael had already admitted in 2007 to do abuse of medicines, but anybody cared. He is not guilty, ALL the others (exploiters) are. If they had loved him indeed they would have helped him seriously and nothing of all this would be happened. But unfortunately Michael was alone. And he knew it.

Em

"65. People who are basing Janet and saying she and her family didn't try enough must not understand the demon of addiction. Interventions work when the person is receptive. Obviously he was not.
Micheal, as much as I love him was a grown-behind man who could think for himself. Some of you still see Michael Jackson as a 12-year old. He was GROWN!
The thing to remember is that he did beat his addiction to painkillers as the autopsy showed. That should be celebrated.
He made an un-conventional choice to treat his insomnia and an incompetent doctor killed him. Those are two separate and distinct issues. Posted at 11:25AM on Nov 18th 2009 by Hazel"

Nice post Hazel - clear thought.

sensible grandma

Janet is in denial if she thinks that Dr. M is the only one responsible for MJ's death. She has to know that MJ was also responsible for his own demise. You tried intervention and that did not work, so MJ's death was just a matter of time. Your body can only take so much. Sorry, Janet, but also blame MJ.

Sheila

I think that now it is a very good idea to keep a very open mind about what is being said by any of the Jacksons. I mean that with the greatest respect. The leaked autopsy report was just a smoke-screen so that people could think that there wasn't any problems with Michael whatsoever. Furthermore, if it was a genuine leak heads would be rolling.
Whether Michael had a drug/drink problem is neither here or there as it is too late he is dead. What everyone should focus on should be that he was a wonderful singer and performer. The truth will never come out..........There is too much at stake. At the end of the day MONEY rules everything.................

anonymous

When is someone going to tell this family to just shut up?! Tired of all there drama Michael was a drug addict blame him! All Janet is doing is trying peddle her new music coming out. All this family cares about is how much money they can get.

Duh

Posted at 11:27AM on Nov 18th 2009 by NeverMind

I think it is unfair to lump the fans in with the rest of the folks you mentioned. I for one did not know he was using drugs, thought he had kicked the pain pill habit YEARS ago. Also, speaking only for myself but probably could apply to other fans, I had no access to Michael, so even if I *did* know he was in trouble, I had no way of getting to him, much like some of the people on your list.

I would give anything to go back in time and perhaps figure out a way to get to him and to try to get him to go to rehab. Ultimately, though, it IS the addict's choice to get clean or not, and from what I have read Michael would not have stopped even if he was told he would die from it.

Very, very sad situation. There is finger-pointing galore. But again, ultimately it was Michael's choice. As much as I love him I cannot dispute that.

They were in it for the money

Evan Chandler = Had Terminal Cancer = Took The Easy Way Out.
Martin Bashir = Diagnosed w/a Brain Tumor = Doesn't look Good.

The List Has Begun. Michael unfortunately died, he's going to take a lot of them with him. You don't mess with a true child of God.

Andreemyrian

Liz Taylor in 1993 convinced Michael to cure his addiction and they went in UK, I think that if the family should have really tried to intervene they should have succeeded and why not to get some help from Liz Taylor, I am not convinced of the good will of th Jackson family.

Aussie Mom

This whole family is strange. I have seen interviews on tv with Janet before now and she acts REALLY strange herself. She won't make eye contact and says some of the strangest things one wonders what is she "on"? Intervention - hmmmm - don't believe a word of it. They, with the exception of Janet look toward MJ as a cash cow. Even now, all they want is the money and if they think they can get some out of this doctor don't think they won't try. I will always wonder why so many of them just had to change their looks. Was there something wrong with looking African American and trying to look Caucasian? I think so. I think they all looked much better before all the cosmetic surgery. The only thing they all regret is not getting their hands on Michael's money or assets before he killed himself. An addict does just that - doesn't matter who the supplier is - if this doctor hadn't supplied him with the drugs he would have found another who was willing to take all that cash and have only 1 patient. I don't blame the doctor - I blame the addict.