Erin Andrews Suspect -- Flight Risk

11/20/2009 8:25 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

The man accused of using a spy cam to film Erin Andrews naked in her hotel room has been ordered to surrender his passport and his bail was jacked through the roof because the judge fears he could be a flight risk.

Michael Barrett: Click to watch
Michael David Barrett's bail was raised from $20,000 to $100,000 after Andrews' lawyer argued that Barrett had probably spent $20k following Erin around the country.

A judge also ruled that Barrett can only use his cell phone to talk -- no texting -- and he's only allowed to call immediate family members. He's also been put on house arrest and electronic monitoring.

Barrett posted the bail and is about to walk out of court.

barry Gordy is genius

Who is Erin Andrews? Is she that ran a brothel from her North Fresno hoel room?

anonymous

Barrett is a twisted sicko pervert who should be locked up for the rest of his miserable life. If he had a chance he would have done serious harm to Andrews.

Lock the door and thow away the key.

Slutty Whores Rock

This is judicial misconduct at its highest level.
There are violent felons accused of Class-A crimes who do not get 6 figure bail. The "victim's" attorney has no standing at a bail hearing, the People are represented by the prosecutor.
This is just further evidence of how biased and out of control LA courts have become.
This judge needs to be fired, they are a disgrace to the profession.

David M.

You got yourself in trouble to record that ugly bitch?!!!!! You are sooooo dumb you deserve to go to jail. Next time get a good looking woman to record.

Balls has no Balls

Big ball`s

maggie

If a judge believes someone to be a flight risk, then why not simply deny bail altogether? Can someone explain that to me please, as a non-American, non lawyer-type? Is bail just some kind of money-making scheme or what?

Obambi.com

"A judge also ruled that Barrett can only use his cell phone to talk -- no texting --"

AKA, we are monitoring your cell phone calls and listening in.

gnarlyone

at least these stalkers give a sh**
in my opinion...what's to stalk? some other bland american?

Scott

There is always a way if I were him I would call my brother and have him 3 way call a sex line for me so I could get my rocks off. :)

tiv

ok getting tired of the trailer for Brothers now i wont go see it if i see it one more time lol

Scott

Wow Kokky I thought u would have your tail between your legs crying like a little girl. They don;t like u dude make like a gaggle of geese and flock off our 15 minutes is up loser....

Todd da Man

For #1 - In non-capital felony cases (i.e. non-death penalty cases) there is a Constitutional right to "reasonable" bail. The court does not make any money from the bail. You get the money back after the trial is over with. The only person that makes money from bail is the bail bond company. Usually you have to pay them 10% of what the total bail amount is (ex. $100,000 bail = $10,000 bail fee) and they (the bail company) will guarantee to the court that they will pay the court the bail if you fail to show up or otherwise violate a condition of your pre-trial release.

The purpose of bail is just to guarantee that you will show up for trial, as well as to ensure the safety of the community. It is not meant to be punishment. Hence, the fact that there is a Constitutional right to bail in most cases. For very serious crimes, for repeat criminals, or people deemed a serious flight risk, bail can be denied.

In this case I think that it is bogus for the judge to consider the arguments of the so-called victim's attorney when deciding bail. No doubt every victim's attorney would argue for no bail whenever possible. However, it seems to me that the victim's attorney has no standing to argue for or against bail in this matter. Plus, the fact that the guy did show up in court all the way in Los Angeles from Chicago shows that he is not a flight risk.

In any event, I hope the guy goes free. I think Erin Andrews is an idiot and I don't really care what happens to her or whom does what to her.

Todd da Man

I meant that my response was for Number 3.

In addition I should point out that you do not have to use a bail bond company to post bail. If you have enough of your own money or assets you can use that instead. And, again, the court does not make any money off the bail. You get your money back once the trial is over with and you either go free or you go to jail.

barry Gordy is genius

His cousin lives in Fresno and drives a Mitsubishi Galant... on dubs.

Simone