Stevie Wonder Breaks Down During MJ Tribute

12/2/2009 9:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Stevie Wonder broke down and nearly cried in the middle of a major televised performance -- and it was all because of Michael Jackson.

The emotional breakdown occurred on-stage at the Rock and Roll 25th Hall of Fame Anniversary Concert -- which aired on HBO this weekend.

Wonder was singing Jackson's, "The Way You Make Me Feel" -- when Stevie, still distraught by the death of his good friend, suddenly chokes up, hunches over and puts his face in his hands ... while the music continues to play.

It all goes down around 1:35 into the clip.

Stevie eventually pulls himself together and finished the song -- and ultimately received a hug from John Legend and a huge ovation from the crowd.

murray

STOP MTV FROM TAKING THE KING OF POP TITLE FROM MICHAEL JACKSON!!!
please sign the petition:

MICHAEL JACKSON KING OF POP!!!

TruthBeTold

Look at this video of MJ TAP DANCING.

wisey

Stevie is the man.

keishalee98

THANK YOU MR. STEVIE WONDER FOR WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT MICHAEL.WISH THE REST OF HIS FRIENDS WOULD STAND UP MORE FOR HIM ESPECIALLY IF THEY CARED ABOUT HIM. WE ALL DO MISS HIM SO MUCH AND IT STILL DOESN'T SEEM REAL AND NEVER WILL SEEM REAL. WE HAVE TO KEEP HIS LEGACY AND HIS MUSIC ALIVE. I WILL ALWAYS BUY MICHAEL JACKSON MUSIC AND HIS DVD CONCERTS. I NEVER KNEW MICHAEL JACKSON OR EVEN SEEN HIM IN PERSON BUT I FEEL LIKE I KNEW HIM THROUGH HIS MUSIC AND WILL ALWAYS LOVE HIM FOR WHAT HE DONE FOR OTHERS AND FOR HIS MUSIC AND FOR BEING A WONDERFUL AND AWESOME HUMAN BEING. I LOVE YOU MICHAEL JACKSON AND I LOVE YOUR THREE KIDS AND YOUR MOTHER. MAY GOD BLESS AND PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN ALWAYS. THANK YOU FOR BEING WHO YOU WERE AND WHAT YOU STOOD FOR. LOVE YOU ALWAYS.

janalal4

Oh my goodness Stevie. We feel your pain. He really rallied & pulled it together there. Thank you TMZ. Nice for you to post Stevie's tribute to his friend. Just get tired of 'litigation' & 'allegations' after awhile.

janalal4

34. I watched the HBO simulcast.

Frankly, in my opinion, Stevie simply messed up and lost his place in the song, and momentarily forgot the words. He seems more frustrated in himself for screwing up, than having an 'overcome by grief for MJ' moment.

Posted at 11:43AM on Dec 2nd 2009 by Better Than You

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/02/stevie-wonder-michael-jackson-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-emotional-breakdown/3#c23624743#ixzz0YYIsXhHn

I don't think we're watching the same video as you.

erin

wow--made me cry too.
The way he carried through to the end of the song was very moving as well.
A true friend, unlike Dr. Arnie Klein.

nan

i wonder how desperate tmz is for a story...i posted this on i believe the thanksgiving mj kids story days ago...maybe they should be giving me a cut...how fricking lame..anyway they hsve my email if they want to man up

love her!

I love you Stevie and I love you Michael Jackson! Very touching. Michael is in all of us Stevie remember that.

ff

Stevie was absolutely butchering the song before he broke down and completely forgot the second verse...nothing but a good acting job to save his a$$....

janalal4

37. Michael Jackson's talent is UNDENIABLE and the mainstream media only touches 1/10 of his talent when they only cover Thriller forward.

Look at this video of MJ TAP DANCING.

Posted at 11:52AM on Dec 2nd 2009 by MJ#1

OMG! This is darling. Someone posted the comment "Is this early Smooth Criminal"? LOL!

hoocheekoo

Stevie, "You Are Not Alone". Millions of us are still breaking down. It's the damndest phenomenon I've ever experienced in my life. I'm not a groupie type. I didn't follow Michael Jackson closely over the years. But the day he died, I got the shock of my life to learn just how profoundly his work and his life had affected me anyway. Since that time, I've read everything I could get my hands on about Michael, including the scandalous charges brought against him. I'm completely satisfied that he was innocent and have grown to respect him even more for his pure assumptions about the innocence of children and how they can positively impact our lives like they did his. He wasn't odd. He was right! There was so much more to him than met the eye. Michael is a true legend and will never die.

just sayin

to all the losers saying it was an acting job,he was obviously emotional, just because no one will ever cry for you losers when you die is no reason to hate on stevie for crying for his goood friend

ThePrevailingTruth

This is to show how people outside the family have gotten more emotional over MJ's death than his own family. Others smile during interviews or pursue reality shows for a quick buck. Stevie is genuine.

I just wish the poor guy knew about the hoax too, so he wouldn't have broken down like that.. he has a good heart.

Love,
Hoaxy The Squeak

diane

#46 - hoocheekoo - ditto your entire statement. It's exactly how I have felt about MJ's death and reviewing his life. I haven't been able to figure out why it has affected me so deeply, but I have felt so sad since he died. Still checking all the time for any new news of MJ and the investigation.