« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Wolcott Gibbs

Sure, okay. But where the problem comes in is with the endorsements. Expect many (but not all) of his sponsors to terminate their contract with Woods. Woods has benefited financially from a wholesome family image, and this image is bulls**t.

Jack

He has sex with some skanks who don't have a penny to their name and will obviosuly sell their story and then expects privacy. Stupid is as stupid does. He sells every product known to man and then expects to be left alone. The corporate pitchman when it is convenient but then wants to be left alone when he fails miserably. It doesn't work like that. Just a bit of advice for your next affair. Have it with someone who has something to lose by not selling their story. How about a famous married actress for example? You'll figure it out.

love her!

So he isn't apologizing to his fans? That just lost some points with a lot of fans. Big mistake Tiger

roberto

WOW., what a let down to him and his family.. unbelievable but not really since he is human. DAMN you Tiger, better hope your wife stays behind.

lane

Tiger finally owns up to the truth! We all make mistakes but we all dont have to lie about it no matter how private it is!!! The truth shall set you free. Now go find the 18th hole and climb in it and stay there for a few years, as I for one am sick of the Tiger Woods better than thou persona! You make me sick, and I hope your wife files for divorce and takes all your toys you punk!

Eric

Elin should go bone Rory Sabbatini, that would be the ultimate way to get back at Tiger.

g-girl

privacy won't help him recover from this now... no amount of money can buy that.

Brian

---------------

Is he kidding??? He blames the media or acts like this new to him? The ultimate media whore & manipulator? The guy that apparently strolls through strip clubs & bars picking up women on a regular basis without concern blames the tabloids? I find him even more of a jerk & hypocrite now than before & confirms he is a liar & in denial.
He has been called a "stone cold freak" on the radio by a guy who has seen him in action in Vegas & other venues. Caddies & other players are shocked it took this long for him to get busted. We have only heard the tip of the iceberg it appears.
He tries to act so above the BS, that is is squeeky clean, what an @sshole. He'll get a pass by most too, he's Tiger. Well , if you ask me, he should be called Dog, not Tiger.

Kate

Good for you Tiger...non of anyone's business

Susan Callas

What a pig. He had everything, Just because he plays a stupid game quite well doesn't mean that he is better than anyone else. That woman should kick him to the curb. If he wants to live a single life, then live it as a single man.

Mike

We don't care what he did, It's is Personal Life. Why does anyone think they Have the right to Know His business. This Country is going to pieces. Does everyone not see how bad things are , Too Much information too fast and too easy to obtain. People are out of work, People are losing Their Homes and, Soliders are dying.

Enough already.

think about it

Whatever Tiger. Please, didn't he have his lawyer lie last week before the accident but after the NQ articles came out and say it wasn't true at all? So now he says its true but wants us to believe him on other issues like Elin's role in it?

As for your privacy, sure you don't have to speak up. Your choice.But if you are making money off your image and people find out that image is a huge crock of shizwhiz you know they are going to talk about it. How much of Tiger money is from his image and not just his game?

Quiet

All the money in the world can destroy your happiness and love. People who have his kind of money just don't realize all the penniless, manipulative, voice mail recordings women will do and keep for a dollar.Just like Bill Clintons Jizum dress saved by fat mistress/intern.

skye

Attorneys put so many words in a statement that never says one thing.

"My personal quote"

"It takes just as much courage to listen, as it does to stand up and speak"

So Tiger, how I do respect your feelings for privacy, I do feel the need that you need to "listen" to what the PR world and fans are asking you to do. Follow my quote. I'm sure you have listened, but its time for "you" to get the courage to stand up and speak if you want this to go away.

It never will until you do say a few words, from behind closed doors. You dont have to disclose the private info that we all keep private, but just disclose the information of the "real" whys your fans, sponsers, etc...want and need to know about not attending the goft tournament this week, much less not even making a short press conference about it. Tiger, do you know how difficult it is on the fans having to get their money back due to your absense at this tournament.? Its really not even about the money. It's your fans, and thats what you should listen and speak about. Not your attorneys.

Kooky Fan

If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty women your wife
Go for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

Don't let your friends tell you you have no taste
go ahead and marry anyway
Her face is ugly her eyes don't match
take it from me shes a better catch