« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods Statement

'I Let My Family Down'

12/2/2009 12:45 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

TW Statement
Tiger Woods
has just released the following statement on his website:

"I have let my family down and I regret those transgressions with all of my heart. I have not been true to my values and the behavior my family deserves. I am not without faults and I am far short of perfect. I am dealing with my behavior and personal failings behind closed doors with my family. Those feelings should be shared by us alone.

Although I am a well-known person and have made my career as a professional athlete, I have been dismayed to realize the full extent of what tabloid scrutiny really means. For the last week, my family and I have been hounded to expose intimate details of our personal lives. The stories in particular that physical violence played any role in the car accident were utterly false and malicious. Elin has always done more to support our family and shown more grace than anyone could possibly expect.

But no matter how intense curiosity about public figures can be, there is an important and deep principle at stake which is the right to some simple, human measure of privacy. I realize there are some who don't share my view on that. But for me, the virtue of privacy is one that must be protected in matters that are intimate and within one's own family. Personal sins should not require press releases and problems within a family shouldn't have to mean public confessions.

Whatever regrets I have about letting my family down have been shared with and felt by us alone. I have given this a lot of reflection and thought and I believe that there is a point at which I must stick to that principle even though it's difficult.

I will strive to be a better person and the husband and father that my family deserves. For all of those who have supported me over the years, I offer my profound apology."

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

Previous 15 Comments | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20

LadyD

It is important to be your own judge of character. He without sin let him/her throw the first stone. Tiger is not the first person to cheat and he will not be the last person. Sure he is a professional and his life is a public affair; but what has happened should be between him and his wife. It is her choice if she decides to leave or stay with him. Whatever the decision is they will live with it. Let's get on with better things. He never stated he was perfect-- there is no perfect being-- we all have sinned. If no rain has been in your life, just wait it's just around the corner. God bless you Tiger and Elin.

Susan

I always thought you were a nice, decent person. So dedicated to your sport.. too bad you couldn't be that dedicated where it counted..at home..dedicated to your wife and kids.

Your kids will grow up and realize what you've done.

S.I

Lord have Mercy on him...The Bible said we should fear God who can destroy the soul...when he does this against his fam he is doing it against God...Did he not know he would be caught? Marriage is Happy if u choose it to be...every thing in life is a choice...if u have an un happy marriage work on it...don't cheat. If u don't want to be faithful to the vows u made...DON'T GET MARRIED!
He is human however and I don't judge...so if he is truly sorry...than he will get help and repent...and ask God to change, help and deliver him from Lusting after other woman. If U have a Lust issue and can't control your self around an attractive opposite sex...work on that BE FOR YOU GET MARRIED!!!

Lord Help him...His kids deserve a good real role model as their father

calmera

Tigger Woods is not the first to have relationship outside of his marraige. Im not condooning what he has done, but all the guy's out there who are taking cheap shot at tiger and are speaking the loudest believe me they have cheated. And for the women who are doging him can you truly say to yourself the boyfriend, the husband, the person who are sleeping beside you have never, will never and is not cheating on you. Becarefull how you all are looking at others bad behaviour, and making comments. Look at your own relationship. This matter is between Tiger and his wife, not Tiger and the public. I for one do not believe all these women who are claiming the had a relationship with Tiger, they see's and hey ran with it.

Tiger did wrong by cheating on his wife but what you people are doing to him is not right. No one is thinking about what this is doing to his wife and children. All the women who are coming out with their so call affair with Tiger, do you believe if it wasn't for his money they would be doing this. I do hope Tiger learn his lesson from all this, even if his wife decided to move on. Becarefull who you sleep with. I pray and hope Tiger and his wife work through this on their own. As for gillette, of all the other men out there who are abusing women, children and cheating, it's ok for them to be associated with your product, but not Tiger. The men at the helm of gillette, what are they telling the public that none of them cheated, and is not cheating now, please give me a break. One should always clean their closet first before attempting to clean others.

Rafaelle Zuccaro

You still dont get it Tiger!!-- Its not that I or anyone else will not forgive you- Thats not our call-- For me, you are forgiven and I am sure most people think you should be--- But you still have that attitude like you can do anything you want because of your wealth and Fame??? Thats BS buddy, but keep working on it and MAYBE it will happen-- Look for HIGHER VALUES!!

Previous 15 Comments | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20