GLAAD Backs ABC's Decision to Can Lambert

12/3/2009 7:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Adam Lambert's sexual orientation had nothing to do with ABC's decision to can him from two upcoming gigs on their network ... it was all because he can't stick to a script -- at least that's what ABC and GLAAD would like you to believe.

Adam Lambert

The nation's most outspoken gay rights group just released a statement in support of ABC's decision to boot Lambert from "Jimmy Kimmel Live" and an upcoming New Year's Eve special in the wake of his AMA performance -- the one with the man-on-man kiss.

ABC sent a statement to GLAAD, explaining how Adam's removal was "not a question of Lambert's sexual orientation" but was instead because his live performance at the AMAs differed "greatly" from rehearsals and "caught the network off guard" -- which is justification for dropping him from other live shows.

Today, GLAAD backed ABC's explanation saying, "It would appear that the kiss between Adam Lambert and his keyboardist did not factor into ABC's decision ... ABC has a history of positive gay and transgender inclusion that includes featuring kisses between gay and lesbian couples on-air."

For the record, neither Adrien Brody nor Halle Berry were banned from appearing on any ABC shows after their "unscripted" make-out session at the 2003 Academy Awards.

UPDATE: GLAAD tells us they have "asked ABC and calls on them for clarification on 'caught off guard' so that the community knows why Lambert is being denied the opportunity to perform on the network."

Loyla

ssuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuree that was the reason...tsk

Vickie

I can't believe no one has mentioned the fact that some rappers rap about explicite sex, drinking, drugging, killing and other violent/vulger stuff. They don't get banned, it is sometimes glorified! I honestly wished he hadn't been that comfortable on stage because this is all they are goint to talk about. He is so extremely talented.

Spencer

No wonder celebritiess don't want to come out. These Gay and Lesbian "spokespersons" just eat their young! First Aaron Hicklin and now GLAAD. I call bullsh*!

Loyla

Adam is hot... you guys are blind to think he is ugly

Lorraine

Aren't there any decent gay people out there that think what he did is vulgar? Do all gays think this kind of performance is acceptable for all audiences? Or do all gays support his disgusting display simply because he is gay? Seems to me y'all are your own worst enemies.

He's just another Idiot

Lambert is a Nasty Pervert - besides being arrogant and conceited. I will never watch him again.

Kathy Erickson

The kiss was fine ... have you ever watched One Life to Live (on ABC), All My Children (ABC), Desperate Housewives (ABC) or even Thirty Something way back when (ABC again ... the first). All have had gay or lesbian kisses. So ABC is not homophobic. It's just that Adan Lambert's "in your face", amateuristic, frenetic vaudeville show was in extremely poor taste and vulgar. Simulating oral sex, whether it be gay or straight, is unacceptable on any public broadcast station. He hasn't earned the respect as an artist to push the envelope that far. And he just learned the hard way that sometimes you just can't push the envelope at all. His argument that children shouldn't be watching that late at night is disgenuous. In this day of DVR and TIVO and youtube, kids will see anything. And the fact that this was a contemporary music show by its nature implies that it needed to be clean and maybe just a bit edgy.

who gives a shit

It was disgusting!! I don't care if it's two men or two women kissing I am sick of having to see it on these programs. Save it for cable!!

Kitty

Oh boo hoo. ABC won't allow Adam to perfom. Boo hoo. Get over it people. He's digusting and he pushed it over the line. He is now paying the consequences. You don't agree with it, don't watch ABC. The majority were offended by his performance and don't care to see that on national television. Go watch MTV or VH1 and you can see all the girl on girl or guy on guy action you want. Let's leave decent TV viewing to the networks.

roy

i am a gay mam.and what he did is disrespectful to tv viewers.
good he got cancelled out.

Tia

I am a huge Adam Lambert fan, but I think he went way way too far on the performance. I was really shocked that he would do something like that so early in his career. He said himself that he got caught up in the moment. Who knows if he will get caught up in the moment again on ABC shows. ABC made the right decision to cancel because he can't stick with the script. Sorry Adam, but you blew it (no pun intended).

r.gardner8692

I have lost all respect for Adam Lambert. Being gay is one thing, but showing the entire world during prime time what depraved freak you are is an entirely different matter. Remember, Jackson felt the fury of the network for simply showing one tiny little naked breast, that's all, and it pales in comparison to Adam's crude and disgusting performance (where even his singing was off key). Also, you cannot compare something that is shown in Europe but blocked out in the USA, as was the case with Pink (if I remember correctly).

I am happy that Glaad is sticking up for all the normal, non-freakish gay and lesbian people who can only get hurt by their association with Adam Lambert's vile behavior.

Birds of a (freakish) feather flock together, and consequently Adam will probably retain a few of his fans. I for one will not waste my money on anything he puts on the market, and that holds true even if he pretends to make nice for the sake of saving his career. I know who and what he REALLY is.

SweetMelissa

PLZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! I thought his 15 minutes were up. Just go away
and please take Perez Hilton with you Im sure they would make a great couple!!!

Artrina

AL is blaming it on people being anti-gay. It's NOT that people are anti-gay, people are anti-BAD performance and disgusting behavior. I don't care what anyone does on pay TV. On network TV when my grandkids may be watching is a totally different thing. AL thought he snowed the Idol people, then he could do whatever he wants. WRONG. He has to start acting like an adult and then MAYBE people will respect him and his art. If the kisses etc weren't done in rehearsal ABC - or ANY network or EMPLOYER - now knows that he can't be trusted to follow a script. AL has done a great disservice to the gay and lesbian community by acting like a complete idiot on national TV. I know I won't be buying his work for my grandkids and I know there are others like me out there.

David