GLAAD Backs ABC's Decision to Can Lambert

12/3/2009 7:30 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Adam Lambert's sexual orientation had nothing to do with ABC's decision to can him from two upcoming gigs on their network ... it was all because he can't stick to a script -- at least that's what ABC and GLAAD would like you to believe.

Adam Lambert

The nation's most outspoken gay rights group just released a statement in support of ABC's decision to boot Lambert from "Jimmy Kimmel Live" and an upcoming New Year's Eve special in the wake of his AMA performance -- the one with the man-on-man kiss.

ABC sent a statement to GLAAD, explaining how Adam's removal was "not a question of Lambert's sexual orientation" but was instead because his live performance at the AMAs differed "greatly" from rehearsals and "caught the network off guard" -- which is justification for dropping him from other live shows.

Today, GLAAD backed ABC's explanation saying, "It would appear that the kiss between Adam Lambert and his keyboardist did not factor into ABC's decision ... ABC has a history of positive gay and transgender inclusion that includes featuring kisses between gay and lesbian couples on-air."

For the record, neither Adrien Brody nor Halle Berry were banned from appearing on any ABC shows after their "unscripted" make-out session at the 2003 Academy Awards.

UPDATE: GLAAD tells us they have "asked ABC and calls on them for clarification on 'caught off guard' so that the community knows why Lambert is being denied the opportunity to perform on the network."

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Caitie

Well I just love him! He is awesome and a truly gifted singer.

Caitie

I heard a radio interview, where Adam totally stuck up for Susan Boyle. He was so nice about her. Geez...

Caitie

I just don't get the haters at all! It is so much bigotry. It is like bile in my mouth. Thank goodness Adam has so many fans who love him.

Adam you are awesome and I really hope you don't read any of this.

I adore you sweetie!!!!

Caitie

I love Adam. The AMA performance was way overrated. I'm surprised that people don't have other concerns on their minds.... like war, the economy,the evil in other countries....

Adam is the most photogenic man I have ever seen. Get over it people.

Adam is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad I don't have hate in my heart.

Caitie

Adam never made fun of subo. He actually got upset when someone on the radio called her a mean name.

She is a freak and he is a star so whatever! Adam is a lot nicer than me or you!

Scarlett

I was disappointed by his performance. My detailed thoughts have already been expressed by others here, so I won't repeat. What probably saddened me the most is that for most of the night I was rolling my eyes at the cavorting and lip-syncing of most. Other than Kelly C, Keith U, Mary J B and a few others, there wasn't much real great singing going on that night. I was telling myself, just wait for Adam y'all. And then he appeared. And wasted his chance to triple his fan base with an out of this world vocal performance. That's my take. I LOVED Adam on AI and was excited for his debut. I've been listening to Michael Jackson nonstop since June. I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon.

ReeRee

gay kiss, crotch in face, big deal. It's been done before people. Anybody see Fergie on the today show or good morning american gyrating all crazy all over with little kids in the front row?! Huge double standards! Interestingly, no one is talking about how crappy his singing was. It was just a bad performance all gayness aside. In this day and age we all get and accept it, Adam is just trying to hard.

s

What a disappointment. I was a fan from the start, but this show of total lack of Class has really closed the door on Adam to me. He is playing the gay card way too much, it wasn't "The Kiss" that was so replusive, it was the true vulgar preformance! From start to finish, lyics, song, actions were just plain vulgar and repulsive. I am sure straight or gay would aggree. There needs to be a new catagory in music, "Skank rock!" I will put adam in this catagory along with all the other repulsive, offensive singer of the day. Two wrongs don't make it right adam!! Total lack of class!! I will never watch or listen to your music again. What a shame, what a total waste of talent!!

imxio

I think people are confusing people's reactions.
We are not objecting to this performer's sexuality.
We are objecting to his vulgarity.

There is a difference.

One can be homosexual and yet not vulgar, cheap and tawdry.
Unfortunately Adam Lambert is both.
It's the latter, not the former that makes him so unattractive.

And I agree with the complaints about vulgar heterosexual "performaces". I don't want to see them either.

I have a revolutionary idea. Let's keep our sex acts - of whatever variety - in the bedroom where they belong, and not on public display.

Caitie

I don't find Adam vulgar or offensive. He is so sweet and humble and talented.

I guess people just like to be hateful. It's a sad thing.

Caitie

I just don't get the vulgar protest. What about the women who were scantilly clothed. Isn't that vulgar?? Mega double standard. How do you spell hypocrite. HYPOCRITE!

emily

he's being banned because he grinded on a dude's face...and is a talentless a-hole

Carlita Pacheco

Dudes, come on. It doesn't matter male/female gay/straight. Enough with sex all over the freakin screen. I am bisexual and get tired of seeing it thrown in everyone's face. Where is respect these days? I don't care who the celeb, is try to show respect to all of us. I love Adam Lambert but even I felt like he was trying to shove his sexuality into everyone's face. Adam is a great singer and can be a great entertainer, but not acting that way. Calm down Adam. We know you're gay, but this wasn't a concert for Playgirl or Hustler. Leave performances like that to the porm channels. Show us your talent. That wasn't talent. It was just plain rude and disrespectful. Ok ABC and GLADD. I think Adam understands now. Please, give him another chance.

JENNIFER MANGUM

HOW DARE YOU PUT ADAM LAMBERT ON TMZ HE IS SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T NEED THAT KIND OF ATTENTION IN THE CELEBRITY WORLD. I AM SHOCKED YOU SAID ALL THAT ABOUT HIM. JENNIFER MANGUM

Previous 15 Comments | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9