Italian Group:

'Jersey Shore' Was Offensive

12/4/2009 4:20 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

MTV told Italian American groups to hold judgment on the new reality show "Jersey Shore" until they saw an episode ... well, the wait is over -- and the outrage flood gates have blown wide open.

1204_jersey_unico_ex_2-1

After last night's debut episode of the reality show, UNICO National -- the "Largest Italian American Service Organization in the USA" -- claims they "can't keep up with the volume of calls" from "outraged" Italian Americans.

TMZ spoke with a rep from the group who told us, "I suffered through all 120 mins of that show and it was worse than I imagined."

The rep added, "Italian Americans are OUTRAGED and they are helping us reach out to sponsors to ask them to stop advertising with MTV until they agree to pull Jersey Shore."

For those unfamiliar with the show -- imagine "The Hills" on steroids, dipped in bronzer, and slathered in hair gel ... only more addicting.

kpiv

listen, i'm italian, i live in south jersey. These kids aren't from jersey mostly, but who the hell cares. This is how a large portion of italian americans act! What can you do about it! I wasn't outrages with housewives of NJ came on! This is mini-theresa! lol who the hell cares it's entertainment. As my Gramp would say (100% italian) god bless em.

kpiv

WAIT, lol this is the best.. in the comments.. from an upset italian :
Iam Italian American and YES they do make us look horrible just like the Sopranos did. They sterotype enuff as it is in the media we are not all like that. GOD FRIGEN FORBID

lol "frigen" but she's not stereotypical.

Skydiamond

I think this was a disgusting show. I would be upset if I lived on the Jersey Shore and this was how they were portraying me. Can't MTV find a better reality show than this out there?

Pam

I've tended bar at the Jersey shore for many years and this show is reality. I would work a 12 hour sunday jam shift at Surf Club and watch a more intense version of what The Jersey Shore show has aired. These people do exist in plenty at the Jersey Shore during the summer. I would often watch in shock at the going ons during a shift. Surf Club would make millions if they released video footage of their sunday happenings.

Stephie Lynne

This show is so awesome!! Best way to spend 120 minutes, lol.

Tony

Yea. Italians rule! I love the show. Don't hate us cause we are the best! YEA baaaaaaaaaaaby! 201 in DA House!

karisma

Guid-ocity isn't an ethnic phenomenon - tools come from every background. I grew up in that general area and let me tell you, I witnessed stupid guidos of every ethnicity. It's not an Italian thing, it's a Tri-State thing.

imj

@stefania casadonti-Hmmm I hate to be the bearer of bad news but most tv shows and all reality shows do depict stereotypical blacks and latinos.

Giovanni Caffarella

Well it is sad because if you notice my name, I am actually from Italia and seeing this is, is always a problem. I can not agree with these sorts of Italian americans who use the italian culture to boost their image. Essi non possono parlare italiano! Honestly if they tried that sort of business there, they would be shot for sure!

Giovanni Caffarella

And about Chef Boyardee, it is interesting to note that it was Ettore Boiardi, the creator of that product who had to change his name to Boyardee to help americans pronounce his names. Oh About me: I came to this country 20 years ago and as you can say I am fluent in english as well as I can speak it with no problem or accent. I have seen these italian americans act like this or worse: no respect for anyone from Italy! How does this make sense when we helped provide culture to the advancement? Uffa!

All I can say is: Io sono Giovanni e io non approvo di stupidità!(I do not approve of the show! haha)

Brian

This is crazy. If people are that offended byt his show, Then don't watch it. I seen some of MTV's shows that were offensive to me, and they are still on the air. I don't complain it. I simply don't watch them. And that is what all haters have to do. There are plenty of other channels out there that are airing other programs. You can watch them.

stefi

People are way too uptight. These kids are having fun and being themselves. How are they any different than the trashballs on the hills. I'm italian we are loud and over the top and we call ourselves out not like the punks on the hills who act like they are all better than anyone while they go in the bathroom to blowcoke and throw up their lunches. I live in california can i boycott that stupid show because those people act like tools? Jersey Shore is entertaining and fun to watch the people on the show are real and aren't ashamed of who they are. I say good for you guys, and let the haters keep hatin!

Oscar in Miami Beach

The show is hilarious.It is really what italians are and behave.The accent,the manerisms are all just right.Wow.I love it.Better that The Godfather and the Sopranos.These are real italian/american kids.It reminds me of the sons of the mob boss that had the reality show but this one is much,much better.Go for it.

mnb

it's not an italian thing it's a jersey thing... whatever it's a freaking accent. i'm from north nj and some people sound like that over here and some accents aren't that thick. who cares

elin

No different then the morons on every other reality show.
It's just Keeping Up With the Kardashian show with less cash- Khloe just married a guy she's known for under a month.
I want her and Snooky to swap shows.
Just want to know why the creator of JS wanted the ugliest guys possible in the house?