« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

justice is served

Good point #115!!! Although Tiger Woods is an embarrassment and laughing stock, he is NOT the devil in disguise, as are most in DC, INCLUDING our "Commander In Chief".

dd

Tiger take my husband with you to rehab, he got caught up with these Vegas hoes too.

AustralianGQ

how the hell can any of you wanna give this guy a break when he cheated on his wife with multiple women and lied endlessly?

cheating is immoral and anyone who cheats is a whore...dude is messed up for cheating.

laj

So, does this mean I have a better chance in the golf pool!!!

RonBurgundy

Tiger is undoubtedly the most recognizable athelete on the planet. This has ruined his career as he knew it. It will go down as the biggest fall from grace EVER. There is no way this will not affect his game, and quite frankly after golf he doesn't have much.

He came out after Thanksgiving blasting the media and a=everyone else for MALICIOUS attacks on his character...

Lying piece of dirt. I hope his wife takes the zebras and leaves him. He never regains the top spot, and if he does, he accept the trophy as a single dad...

His father would be very ashamed.

§a§

He is a MAN-HO!! Get over it!!! I have!!

Stoney

We are a forgiving nation and if we can forgive President Clinton, Coby and other Superstars why not Tiger. He just got carried away and got caught. He did what most young men is expected to do.

Simone

I hear Kate Gosselin is about to proclaim she slept with Tiger too.

lieseverywhere24

Problem for Tiger the Shagger - what to replace all that sex with? The man obviously has no hobbies to help him relax or release some of that physical stamina. Clearly, the wife and kids and the golf are not enough for him. He will most likely have to be on meds to control his urges otherwise his poor wife will have some serious physical demands to deal with. Not sure how that will affect his golf being on sexual suppressing meds.

kristi

HI I BELIEVE ALL MEN CHEET ! BUT TIGERS WIFE GETS RICH OFF OF IT ! I WISH I COULD GET RICH OF EVERY MAN THAT HAS CHEETED ON ME ! HIS WIFE NEEDS TO STICK IT OUT ! I MEAN ALL MEN CHEET SO IT MIGHT AS WELL BE BY A RICH GUY ! U MIGHT AS WELL GET PAID FOR IT ! SO TIGER ISNT DOING NOTHING ELSE THAT ANY OTHER MAN WOULDNT HAD DONE ! HE ONLY A MAN !

Brian

Tiger is just living the life every man wish he could, play golf all day and do beautiful woman all night. Its not like he was messing with under age girls,boys,or men! Good thing he has a pre-nup, that should have been the first sign to his wife!

Organic TYtanic

This guy is a glofer. He cheated and got caught. Why do you all care? As a society we are to hung up on the plight of celebrities. Next thing people are going to say, "Tiger did it so I thought I could get away with it." Wrong! He is Tiger Woods. He's a glofer. He's not the president, running our country (which is in a lot of trouble financially). He's not a doctor, helping the sick (Healthcare, don't get me started). The reality is Tiger Woods is a golfer who cheated on his wife and sloppily at that. The only thing about this whole story that surprises me is that it took this long to come out. Harvey, you need some new investigators and photogs that are going to get the story. How could this have ended up so messy and no one knew for years??? One more thing, what's up with the diamond eye jewelry on the girls doing tv interviews? Is that something Tiger gave all his girls? I'm over it. I like Phil better anyway.

ako33

HE IS SO SORRY HE WAITS 2 WEEKS! EGO-MANIAC

ade

I HAVE COME TO REALISE THAT TIGER IS NOT THE WORST PERSON IN THE WORLD--THEY ARE ALL RIGHT HERE ON THE THREAD MAKING AWFUL COMMENTS, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE DECENCY TO WISH ANOTHER PERSON LUCK WITH HIS FAMILY.

I HAVE DONE MY SHARE OF BASHING AND BUT UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE IN HEAR, I STILL REMEMBER HOW TO BE A GOOD HUMAN BEING.

I DON'T THINK THIS IS ABOUT YOU CHEATING ANYMORE, I THINK SOME
ARE USING IT TO SHOW THEIR RACIST FEELINGS THEY HAVE TOWARDS YOU TO START WITH.

STOP MESSING WITH THESE WHITE HOES, JUDGING FROM THE NON-STOP COMMENTS, ALOT OF WHITE POEPLE ARE STILL VERY INSECURE WITH THEMSELVES(ESP. WHITEMEN!!!TRUST ME I KNOW)

SO GOOD LUCK TIGER , BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.