« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Tiger Woods

Breaks from Golf

Admits 'Infidelity'

12/11/2009 8:48 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

BreakTiger Woods has just announced he'll be taking an "indefinite break" from golf -- and for the first time, he admits to acts of "infidelity."

Woods just released the following statement on his website:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period
."

UPDATE: Golf fun fact -- when Tiger was out of golf for eight months last year while recovering from reconstructive knee surgery, TV ratings dropped 50 percent while he was out of commission.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

David A USA

I think Tiger forged Chris Brown's apology and added a few infidelity-related words.

sandra

Aww Poor Tiger.... It's All About Him...Aww....What about his Wife And Kids.....Where was His BRAIN.... O We KNOW !!!! He Should RETIRE from GOLF... He Made a Mockery of the SPORT !!!!!
Oh HE IS SO "SORRY" does he think we all fell out of a TREE !!!!
Give it Up TIGER.... Do You Think we believe you NOW!!!!!
What about You PEERS In GOLF.... What do they Feel ...Do You really CARE !!!!! You Really disappointed your Peers in GOLF and Your PAST FANS!!!!! Have a GOOD LIFE NOW!!!!!

Its possible

#84 Mack , I was sitting here trying to find the words to type and saw the reason why I was having a problem with that is you already used them.

LD

I didn't know Tiger was born in 1975.

sst226

Give me a break!! Nice Press RELEASE - Your PR people are working their butts off to do damage control. Only thing that you are sorry for is you're got caught, later Tiger don't come back.

sandra

O I forgot !!!!!! PLEASE RETIRE YOUR " PUTTER" Its All WORN OUT!!!!!

noella

It all stems from his confusion about his race. I notice there aren't any black chics claiming they slept with Tiger. He married the whitest girl he could find, and even she couldn't satisfy him. He's denying who he is and trying too hard into whitey's world. He's got some serious mental issues in my opinion, I don't feel sorry for him though.

sandra

PUT YOUR PUTTER AWAY!!!!!!!!!It'S OVER..... !!!!!

scott

Now if we could just have this story to go on hiatus. I am really sick of this

rainbow4321

107. It is no longer a secret. Tiger has made love to hundreds of gals since a teen, and has never used a condom. His fearlessness of STD is shocking. He would have nothing to lose if he already was HIV positive. But Tiger looks too healthy to have the monster.

Posted at 8:00PM on Dec 11th 2009 by melvin polatnick

Don't fool yourself...go have a look at an HIV/AIDS clinic waiting room (like mine at work). Pretty much looks like the same group of people you would see if you were walking thru a mall, at the movies, or any other public place. Young adults, elderly grandparents, overweight persons. You couldn't pick out an HIV+ person in a public crowd nowadays no matter how hard you tried. The mental image you have is stuck in the early to mid 80's.
I've always sworn if I ever hooked up with someone in a permanent kinda way I would go WITH them to the doctor's office, watch their blood be drawn for a full STD panel, and be there when the test is read outloud by the doctor himself/herself. Even then, there is no guaranty that the other person would avoid behavior that would get himself exposed after the testing is done...Tiger proves that.
Hopefully he and his wife get tested ASAP.

azlizard

What a pile a crap!! He hates his marriage, loves going out an the attention of the ladies...his actions speak louder than words but he wants is both ways. He's now only in business relationship with Ellin....what a crock. He's got an army spinning this for him. He lied for years and is lying now, clearly.

Janet

Eanie, Meanie, Miney, Moe. Catch a Tiger by his toe. If he hollers let him go. Eanie, Meanie, Miney, Moe.

Aldrick, it's obvious that your Mom has finally gotten to you!

Dilemma

Good, for him see Tiger you thought you weren't black, well it just goes to show you white peopple don't care how much money you have or how good you are at Golf you bees black to them lol. Oh and P.S. the black community don't want you...........

Janet

I have to agree with #84 to.

Sunny

My best guess is that he is waiting for the dust to settle, then he plans to continue as though nothing unusual happened.

I could be wrong. Maybe he's just self-destructive. I still can't believe that he thought he could live this double life indefinitely.