Courtney Love

Loses Legal Control

of Daughter

12/14/2009 4:26 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Courtney Love no longer has legal control of her daughter. TMZ has learned a legal guardian has been appointed to care for 17-year-old Frances Bean Cobain.

Courtney Love Loses Legal Control of Daughter
Guardianships of this nature are frequently established when the parent is not capable of taking care of their children.

The guardians appointed by the court are Wendy O'Connor, Kurt Cobain's mom, and Kimberly Dawn Cobain, Kurt's sister.

The guardianship was established on Friday. Courtney Love was not in court.

The guardianship is for both Frances Bean personally and her financial well-being.

The guardians do not have power over the trust established after Kurt Cobain's death.

The guardianship was established after a fairly long period of unstable conduct by Courtney Love. The court proceedings, however, are sealed.

UPDATE: TMZ just spoke with Courtney's friend and lawyer, Keith Fink, who says, "Courtney wants to say she loves her daughter and she's the most important thing in her life." As for the guardianship, Fink says Courtney knows her grandma will take care of Frances Bean.

billybrown00

What in the hell took so long?

Apres Ski

Francis only has to wait until she turns 18 to get rid of all this circus around her. I wouldn't be surprise to see her turn out to be a smart cookie since her mother is such a ditz & big spender. I've love to see Francis come out on top and watch her mother turn into a shrinking violet . . .

Carolyn A-B

Only 17 years too late.
Ms. Love admitted in her Vanity Fair interview to using heroin while she was pregnant with Frances Bean.
Isn't it nice how in our democracy, only the poor get their babies snatched away? John Phillips was allowed to abuse and neglect Mackenzie Phillips, and child protective services never got on his case. Rich folks are allowed to do drugs; only the poor cannot.

Better Than You

She'll be 18 in about 9 months. No biggie.

ME

I'M GLAD THE DAUGHTER'S MONEY IS SAFE. SHE DOESN'T NEED A DRUG ADDICT HAVING ACCESS TO THE MONEY HER FATHER LEFT TO HER. HOPEFULLY, SHE WILL USE IT WISELY - UNLIKE THE CRAP HER SORRY MOTHER DOES.

pie

Cool, now if I see Courtney I will know that she is dating because she is a drug abuser, and does not have her daughter to take care of anymore. - Courtney, it's party time.

So Angry!

I'd like to thank my mother for not being Courtney Love. THANK YOU MOM, you are wonderful! My prayers go out for Francis.

meg

frances lived with her grandmother until she was 12 or so, then lived with courtney, then apparently not anymore. so. it's not as though courtney has had much motherly practice.

jrad247

Wow shocking news....

Shocking it took this long. The girls 17 ~ almost an adult, sooo whats the point now?

how many of us were on our own at that age [not talking to you old guys still living at home with your mom].

She's probably better off on her own. Courtney got the crazy bug~

chalkoutline

Why the hell did they wait until she was 17?
The damage has already been done.

Shelly

Seems like this should have happened a looooong time ago!

jjgg5

For the girl's sake, this should have happened a long time ago.

bree

A little late for this isn't it? She's damn near grown now!

Carolyn

I just saw a photo of Courtney where she looks like she wieghs 80 pounds. She is tragic. The weird thing is that I don't think she is a bad person, she might be nice to know. She has some illness that I don't get that may make drugs attractive. The scary thing is that I don't think she is on anything now. I hope things go better for both Courtney and her daughter.

hello

Yes, it is a little late, but she is still better off with Kurt's mom and not Courtney. I hope she turns out ok. That's all that really matters...Oh and that Courtney straightens out, but she won't. Ever.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments