« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

NFL Star Chris Henry Dies

12/17/2009 11:40 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NFL star Chris Henry has died as a result of the injuries he sustained after falling out of the back of a moving pickup truck yesterday.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police tell TMZ Henry died at 6:36 AM EST this morning.

He was 26.

As we previously reported, cops believe Henry -- a wide receiver on the Cincinnati Bengals -- jumped into the back of the truck, in an attempt to stop his fiancee from leaving a "domestic situation" at her parents' home in North Carolina.

Henry was rushed to a local hospital -- where he passed away this morning.

Authorities tell us they're still investigating the situation.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

tpm

Let this be a tragic lesson to all young men in the NFL. Chris Henry never matured and died doing something immature.

something smells

what a waste of a promising life to a young man. RIP Chris. My prayers to his family during this horrible time.

get a job - get off TMZ

Just looked at the fiance's myspace page. Dude is better off dead!

Sunny

It's very sad to hear that someone so young has died, and so close to the holidays. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

scissors

There goes Tonga's meal ticket. Nice goin' Tonga...dumbass.

Sean G in the D

Im taking the Bengals and the points this weekend. NO seriously, I dont understand the violence that is so characteristic with black athletes. I know people will scream "you racist" but this is a simple observation.

pollynoo

NFL 'star'??? How about NFL 'player'? This thug wasn't a star. He was a thug douchebag who had this coming to him. Hopefully the po-leece will charge his so-called fiance with his death and get her ass in prison for a long time.

tiff

so sad! RIP

DML

My condolances to his family.
As a mother and grandmother, I feel their loss. Such a beautiful young man. Such a tragedy, to die in such a senseless accident.

FULGY

Chris Henry’s fiancée, Loleini Tonga has a history of domestic violence and a severe drinking problem. The source states, “I knew the next time Chris would get in trouble it would be because of that girl. She drinks all the time, they get into fights, and she has even bragged about getting into disputes with former boyfriends.”

Chris was injured after falling out the back of Tonga’s pickup truck after a heated argument. He was found on the side of the road with fatal injuries to his head. Currently homicide detectives are looking into the case. Henry and Tonga currently have two children together, and one child a piece from previous relationships.

Cedric Winston

I have to say that it is terrible. No one knows what went on between him and her at that moment. So I will reserve the comments about being stupid on his behalf til the facts come out. i hope he finds peace thatseemed to elude him here on earth.

Will

So I suppose this will be another woman that won't have to bear any of the responsibility for her actions. Rihanna, Elin, now this younglady.. Pretty sad.. I know it's the man's fault.... As always..That's some Bull..... Yesterday they said she was swerving back and forth as she was driving down the street. I think that means she was trying to dump him out the back of the truck. That should at least be Manslaughter. No????

janalal4

35. 8. I didn't know anything about this guy except what I read yesterday after he was injured but it sounds like he was possibly turning his life around & I am very sad to hear of this. So young. Wonder how this will play out for his fiance legally? Thoughts & prayers with the family & may he RIP.

Posted at 9:52AM on Dec 17th 2009 by janalal4

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/17/nfl-star-chris-henry-dies/1#comments#ixzz0ZxVhNAPP

Hey Janalal, how've you been?

So sad that he died! People don't think, they just react. She was leaving, he didn't want her to, and jumped on the truck. In a split seconds a life ended and other changed. Tragic

Posted at 10:08AM on Dec 17th 2009 by Random Angel

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2009/12/17/nfl-star-chris-henry-dies/3#comments#ixzz0Zxy7wgMJ

Hello to YOU Random Angel & hope that 'baby-girl' of yours is doing much better?! I have thought of her. I am doin' well but VERY busy. See you on the Latoya article later maybe.

This is VERY sad indeed but yes, seems the 'impulsiveness' he demonstrated throughout his life also led to his death when deciding to jump on the back of that moving truck. SAD, SAD.

troy

WOW how messed up is that, i agree with the other comment about tigers wife, charge them both. my reguards to the Henry family. Chris was a great football star who had a lot more playing years ahead of him. I'm not a cinci fan, but my son loves them, My lions lost a player to, I feel your pain. RIP Chris Henry,GOD BLESS.

Jamfest

A tragic and needless death.