Murphy Sick and Vomiting Just Before She Died

12/21/2009 2:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany MurphyBrittany Murphy was very ill in the hours before she went into cardiac arrest and died, sources tell TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.

Sources say various prescriptions were found in the home -- written for Brittany Murphy, husband Simon Monjack, and Brittany's mom. One source says, "There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

We're also told authorities did not find illegal drugs in the house, but Murphy was definitely taking various prescription meds.

Sources say her condition and the meds could have triggered a heart attack, but it's too early to know. An autopsy will be performed Monday or Tuesday. We reported earlier Monjack did not want an autopsy but ultimately it's the Coroner's call.

Brittany MurphyAs we first reported, Brittany Murphy's mother told paramedics her daughter suffered from diabetes. We're told it was type 2 diabetes and people involved in the case doubt her condition caused her death.

julie

"She had such drastic weight loss, and the revelation that she was "diabetic" makes me question whether she's one of those Hollywood 'diabetics" who abuse Insulin in order to lose and maintain weight."

How does this work because I have diabetes and when I didn't have insulin BEFORE I knew I had diabetes is when I lost all my weight really fast. Once I started on insulin I GAINED the weight back. It's when you don't use the insulin you loose the weight, jesus stupid people

julie

130. Though it certainly could have been swine flu (H1N1) which killed Brittany, no one should discount the possibility that she had diabetic ketoacidosis
which was brought on by her illness.

Ketoacidosis occurs when a diabetic's blood turns very, very acidic. It happens when diabetics are sick with other illnesses. It happens when diabetics have lots of adrenalin in their systems. It happens when diabetics are exhausted. It happens when Type 2 diabetics are turning into Type 1 diabetics as their pancreases degrade and shut down.

The intense vomiting and wanting to be in the shower are two of the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis. Been there, done that. Diabetics can go into a coma with ketoacidosis. Been there, done that. Diabetics lungs can shut down when in ketoacidosis. Been there, done that.

Diabetics can have a heart attack and die while in ketoacidosis. I haven't had that happen yet, but one of my childhood diabetic friends died that way.

In Brittany's memory, let's hope that if her diabetes was involved, this becomes a education for people who are diabetic and don't know it yet, and for people who live with or are friends with diabetics.

Friends of Brittany dismissing these events, because they think she was only a Type 2 diabetic simply show they know very little about diabetes.

Posted at 2:01AM on Dec 21st 2009 by Vania

I have also been there done that a few times, and sounds like this could of been the case with her :(

Kristina

Nausea and vomiting can be a sign of cardiac arrest.

Kristina

Also...sometimes people don't like autopies done to their loved ones because they're perfectly aware of how much the body is violated during one. Even though they're very necessary, it's not anything you want to think about your spouse, child, or any other loved one going through.

P.W.

I hope that, and assume that,the cause of her death will fully be looked in to. It does hurt to speculate,however something was up with Brittany.She had seemed both ill,and medicated and seemed to be in an odd marriage.It would even hurt to speculate however, if it only seemed odd and in fact he loved her. At the very least he was helping her lead a destructive life style when Brittany needed help.
This matters because to put it mildly,Brittany was the "bread winner" and caused his life to be full of luxury, travel and shopping sprees and other experiences etc. he wouldn't have, if not for her. That along with the fact that she was only 32,it should be looked at hard.
I hate to think if she was sick she was not getting the care she needed.
And we all know precription drugs can kill or contribute to death.
She really was the type of person that tried to make you feel special and I just hope that she was cared for properly.

poohbunny

In Los Angeles County, and probably many other areas, an autopsy is required by law if the person died while not under the care of a physician. For example, my mother, who died of malignant melanoma, did not have an autopsy because her doctor had admitted her to the hospital for the last two weeks of her life. The doctor and hospital staff were very aware of her condition, and there was no need to investigate. However, my stepmother had an autopsy after OD'ing at home. My father and I gave statements to the police at about 2 a.m. Given that the autopsy results matched our statements, there was no further investigation. Brittany's husband's refusal of an autopsy DOES sound fishy, although I know from experience that some people just don't want their loved ones to be marred by the autopsy procedure; they want them to be buried in tact. My heart goes out to Brittany's family and friends as they face this shocking death of someone so young and so close to Christmas, too.

damfino

So sad to lose someone so young.

But to the person who said that type 2 is caused from being overweight... you're wrong. It's also genetic. Which means skinny people get it, too. My mom has always been tiny, but has type 2. It just runs in our family. But, type 2 doesn't generally kill a 32 year old. It weakens your heat, yes, but as long as it's controlled, you're most likely not going to die young from it. However, if the meds she was taking for her cold/flu interfered with her meds for diabetes, that could do it. Many can react and make your sugar shoot up, or drop too low, and both will kill you by way of a massive heart attack.

RIP sweetie.

belle beal

type 2 diabetes is not caused by only being overweight that is what alot of people think she could have it from family so you could weight 500 lbs and not be diabetic and weigh 100 lbs and have it.

stephanie

i dont understand why people have to make such stupid comments about it. we're NO ONE to judge her. R.I.P Brittney.

Matt

We all know this aging star had severe issues body type because of her weight and alleged drug abuse. She was unhappy and died of an alleged overdose.
Sadly another minor star who never quite made it is gone.

Matt

To all the arm chair doctors out there making excuses her her overdose.
Her type2 diabetes had nothing to do with her death, her "flu-like" symptoms come from the want of drugs, she got them I'm sure and her body finally gave out.
Typical Hollywood story. Sad.

mat2

I do not know how anyone can say what role diabetes played in her death. If a diabetic is experiencing an illness such as the flu it put stress on the body which can cause unstable blood sugar levels. Also, there are many prescription and over the counter meds
that can cause diabetic complications. Vomiting and loss of conciousness could be symptoms of very low blood sugar which can cause seizure and death. Quit trying to make her death sinister before you have the coroners report.

Lena

"a gal" #244. wrote:
People do not go to the ER just for vomiting. Vomiting is usually a self limiting condition and not an emergency unless it is accompanied by other symptoms like pain or fever or is prolonged or you know you have taken something you should not have taken.
---------------------------

PLEASE DO NOT TAKE MEDICAL ADVICE FROM A GOSSIP SITE CHAT BOARD

I know several people who were taken to the ER for excessive vomiting to be rehydrated and electrolytes monitored and (in some cases) to be given antinausea meds (reglan?).
I have had severe vomiting on occasion, and the last time that it lasted more than 36 hours of not keeping even water down people told me to go to the ER and I did not (I was too sick/weak to drive & too embarrassed to call an ambulance for something so "minor").
Next time I will.

Phillip Grs

Miss Murphy was always slightly of frame.

The fact that she was a diabetic certainly could have had a factor in her death.

That probable fact that she was very sick and probably was exhausted as well from trying to deal with this illness apparently without going to a doctor about it might have also helped her die.

I found the on screen Brittany to be a wonderful break from the standard Hollywood stamped out actresses of her age.

She was very much herself and will be missed.

I certainly hope that she gets an autopsy so that the real reason she died is found and other actresses that might consider making the same sacrifices she made,might reconsider how they are going after fame.

Rest in Peace Brittany and our condolenses to your family and friends.

Bubba

I think it's more shocking the Frankenstein guy she married than her death. But all drugs are deadly and should be avoided at all costs. If you want to honor those that died from O.D's, than be drug & acholol free.