Murphy Sick and Vomiting Just Before She Died

12/21/2009 2:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany MurphyBrittany Murphy was very ill in the hours before she went into cardiac arrest and died, sources tell TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.

Sources say various prescriptions were found in the home -- written for Brittany Murphy, husband Simon Monjack, and Brittany's mom. One source says, "There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

We're also told authorities did not find illegal drugs in the house, but Murphy was definitely taking various prescription meds.

Sources say her condition and the meds could have triggered a heart attack, but it's too early to know. An autopsy will be performed Monday or Tuesday. We reported earlier Monjack did not want an autopsy but ultimately it's the Coroner's call.

Brittany MurphyAs we first reported, Brittany Murphy's mother told paramedics her daughter suffered from diabetes. We're told it was type 2 diabetes and people involved in the case doubt her condition caused her death.

jms

Keep hearing the phrase "natural causes" . There is nothing natural about a 32 year old woman dieing.

Paul

The report states that there were several EMPTY bottles of prescription meds. This suggests someone took ALL the pills in those bottles. Prozac, Vicodin, Valium, more valium, Morphine, Antibiotics, Anti Seizure meds, Heart meds, Anti-inflammatories. Duh. I think the cause of death is obvious. Either suicide or accidental OD.

Artie

her death is just so sad & with her mother finding her that would be the hardest part for any parent my thoughts are with her family & loved ones & can i just add no autopsy is soooo weird like what is he trying to hide.....

Ashley

They Should Charge Her husband For It :: Its pretty funny He ant want the autopsy Done:: He Ant want it done for a reason :: Hmmmmmm::So sad :(

Brandy

Jenny, I am a nurse and any form of diabetes is not only caused by a person's weight. Obesity is a risk factor but it is not the only cause. Diabetes is caused by the body's inability to produce insulin, which can happen regardless of weight.

dodiek

I really liked her movies. The one with Michael Douglas is great. Everytime "Don't Say a Word" comes on TV I watch it. Her symptoms were typical of a heart condition. In 2005 at 42 I suffered Cardiogenic Shock. I was throwing up and fainting. I though I had the flu or food poisoning. After I fainted for the fourth time my husband called 911. The specialist said I would have been dead in the morning. I spent 5 days in ICU and thankfully survived. Women need to be aware that their symptoms are not like men. She should have been at the hospital. If more women knew about the flu-like symptoms they may be able to be saved. It's sad.

softwhiteunderbelly

the issue with the autopsy is that they were married jewish. jews don't normally allow autopsies. the dead are supposed to be buried very soon after death, next day or the day after is traditional. its not suspicious to me at all.

Sarah

Brandy is NOT a nurse, or the school in which she was educated (or maybe that's just nursing education in general?) is very poor and incorrect. Type 2 diabetes is the form of diabetes related to obesity and overweight (80-90% of cases). Other diseases (I.e. hyperthyroidism) and medications (I.e. asthma steroids) can also cause secondary Type 2 diabetes. Type 2 diabetes is a disease of metabolic insulin resistance at a cellular level, NOT typically a lack of insulin. Some Type 2 diabetics make EXCESS insulin, the problem is that their body doesn't use it properly. I suspect Brittany had a slow onset form of Type 1 diabetes (called LADA), which is caused by an autoimmune response in which the body's immune system mistakenly destroys the insulin making cells (beta cells) in the pancreas. This can be triggered by a virus in people with the genetic disposition for Type 1 diabetes. The result is a complete lack of insulin, unlike Type 2 diabetes, where insulin resistance, and typically NOT lack of insulin is the problem. There are also other rarer forms of diabetes like MODY, which is a genetic form that may or may not require insulin. If someone with slow onset Type 1 diabetes is not diagnosed and given insulin in time, they would die much like how Brittany Murphy did, possibly thinking they had "the flu". Most people have severe symptoms and head to the ER, but the odd person may think it's something that will pass.

Heather

It is sad that she had to die so young. She was a beautiful actress. The talented always die young. I feel for the family and her friends. My heart goes out to them in their time of lose. She was a very bright soul. I hope they can find piece in their time of lose.

deb

in addition to the 'flu', apparently she had an eating disorder...eating-disordered behavior will eventually take a toll on the heart .....i seriously doubt the scripts caused the heart attack....."if she began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill..." WHY wasn't a physician called or why wasn't she taken to the ER????.....as far as the prescriptions....i seriously doubt that was the cause....who doesn't take a lot of prescriptions these days?....sad....she was so talented, full of spirit and beauty....she will be missed

firsthink

I am so very sorry for the loss of a very talented and interesting lady. My heartfelt sympathies to her family and husband at this sad time. I do not believe that this was an overdose or a result of an inappropriate lifestyle. I am a type 2 diabetic now for 4 years and wound up in the hospital a month ago because of a severe viral infection that appeared "flu like" for several days in the beginning as well. I had to be taken to the hospital when I developed severe vertigo and vomiting (wretching really) coupled with extremely high blood pressure (186/122) and a heart rate of 128 bpm. The Doctors had no clue what was happening - they thought it was a stroke. Ultimately, it was determined to be a virus complicated by my diabetes. Just to inform - diabetes does occur in persons of all body types and can result in unexplained and uncontrollable weight loss as well as electrolyte imbalances. The real kicker is that diabetes ruins one's immune response leaving one susceptible to everything, and then, affects one much more when weakened by a virus or other illness - a dangerous and vicious cycle that can kill at any age.

help

sullenlotus, i completely agree with you. if she was extremely ill WHY didn't anyone suggest taking her to the ER? ...not to sound insensitive, but how irresponsible can her family be? if her fam noticed she was very sick for days they should of taken her to the ER.

DAMN!!!!

Nisko

This is an excellent article, thank you very much for it,
I have found here much useful information in

Maxine

sounds to me, the two did away with the young sweet trusting girl, to be left with the money and with the two o them. then, when the elderly found out he was ONLY interested in her money, she did away with him too. no need to be Einstein,to figure it out. this is classic.

sherman

Prescription Systems allows physicians to provide a higher level of patient service and safety, streamline practice workflows, and save time and money through the efficiency of electronic medication orders and renewals.