Murphy Sick and Vomiting Just Before She Died

12/21/2009 2:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany MurphyBrittany Murphy was very ill in the hours before she went into cardiac arrest and died, sources tell TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.

Sources say various prescriptions were found in the home -- written for Brittany Murphy, husband Simon Monjack, and Brittany's mom. One source says, "There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

We're also told authorities did not find illegal drugs in the house, but Murphy was definitely taking various prescription meds.

Sources say her condition and the meds could have triggered a heart attack, but it's too early to know. An autopsy will be performed Monday or Tuesday. We reported earlier Monjack did not want an autopsy but ultimately it's the Coroner's call.

Brittany MurphyAs we first reported, Brittany Murphy's mother told paramedics her daughter suffered from diabetes. We're told it was type 2 diabetes and people involved in the case doubt her condition caused her death.

dr fred

those details make a difference ..first report was she was healthy & died of AMI for no apparent reason which suggest coke, crack, meth

but IF she was sick prior with a serious flu or food posioning, chollera/dysentary from PERU....then she could have died due to dehydration....ultmately causing cardiac arrest

Cindy

An overweight person is more likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes, but anyone of any weight, gender or age can be diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at age 22. I didn't develop it at 22, it is just that the symptoms are often similar to other diseases. I probably had it for years. I was also a petite small boned young woman who was not overweight. I wasn't rail-thin like Brittany Murphy, but at 5' 2" and 115 lbs....definitely not overweight. Undiagnosed diabetes and uncontrolled insulin levels can damage your heart and cause blindness. If she had a damaged heart from uncontrolled diabetes and then was taking prescription drugs for flu symptoms, the drugs could have caused her to have a heart attack. Decongestants cause a rise in heart rate, e.g. Also, women will often become nauseated when having a heart attack and will vomit. Having said all this, I think it is more likely that she had a damaged heart from annorexia and the complications of her diabetes and flu in a weakened state is what led to her death. I saw her in person about 4 years ago and was shocked at how thin she was. I think she was not eating enough and trying to hard to maintain that size 0.

so wrong

50. VOMITING BEFORE A HEART ATTACK IS NORMAL. YOU FEEL VERY SICK AND THROW UP SO THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT HAPPENED TO HER.
ignorant people

You're the ignorant one, there's a big differnce between a heart attack and cardiac arrest!

poisonDart

This is so obviously an OD. I'd bet $100 they find Oxycontin and Xanax among the prescriptions. She began OD'ing, started going in and out of consciousness, throwing up, was scared and jumped into a cold shower and soon her heart/body gave out on her.

And I'm not surprised her douchebag husband doesn't want an autopsy, this guy is not going to come out of this looking good.. maybe not her mom either.

This post might seem harsh, but besides seeming a bit crazy I found Brittney Murphy to be very nice and sweet, at least that's the impression I got from her interviews. It's quite a shame.

dr fred

vomiting before AMI/cardiac arrest is usually a tiny amount, lots of vomiting think something ingested...resulting in vominting to dehydration to cardiac arrest

SoCal Razzles

Celebs are not like normal people. They have a completely different reality than us "civilians." They are their own brand and disillusionment is the norm hence the dive into drugs/booze. Too much pressure, too much partying and it's a long, long, long way down...

RIP Brittany, gone too soon sweet. You'll be vindicated by the reports.

squattmunki

TMZ you always have the best information. RIP Britney.

jen

Yes danny it is, type 2 diabetes is not common in underweight people, I'm a nurse and know how you get both diabetes. So who do you know that is underweight with Type 2 diabetes? I would like to know? Type 1 is always autoimmune! Overweight type2!

SoCal Razzles

Posted at 12:09AM on Dec 21st 2009 by poison_drop

Kudos. Nicely said.

Woo Hoo!!!!

I think the key sentence was right here:

"There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Let's get real - she most likley overdosed on prescription medication, and that's why the husband didn't want an autopsy.

I wonder if Dr. Conrad Murray was her doctor too...

noone

Yes, Dr. Fred is right-severe vomiting indicates something ingested that caused a severe side effect, this is not the kind of vomiting that occurs preceding a heart attack-toxicology reports will tell the story.

Follow the husband's meds, as well as Brittney's. I wouldn't trust anything about that husband.

Makenna

My sister said she didn't feel well and went into the bathroom and was vomiting. She went into cardiac arrest and died. I always feel like I need to call 911 now when someone vomits like that.

Whop der it is

Brittany lost a lot of weight fast a few years back and this could cause an unlined problem. I liked her very funny and seemed sweet. RIP

angela

this has made me very sad all day. Brittany Murphy was and will always be a huge part of my tween years. she made me laugh in Clueless and as i got older made me cry in Girl,Interrupted. she was such a great actress and so funny and beautiful. i'm still in shock. may she rest in peace and my heart goes out to her family. this is a tremendous loss. tremedous. wow.

rick

She died from an overdose, she was a junkie