Murphy Sick and Vomiting Just Before She Died

12/21/2009 2:30 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany MurphyBrittany Murphy was very ill in the hours before she went into cardiac arrest and died, sources tell TMZ.

We're told Murphy was taking prescription meds for flu-like symptoms she had been experiencing for several days. We're told Murphy began vomiting early Sunday morning and told family members she was feeling very ill.

Sources say various prescriptions were found in the home -- written for Brittany Murphy, husband Simon Monjack, and Brittany's mom. One source says, "There were a lot ... a lot of prescriptions in the house."

Law enforcement sources tell us Murphy collapsed in the bathroom and somehow ended up in the shower ... there was, we're told, a significant amount of vomit in the immediate area.

We're also told authorities did not find illegal drugs in the house, but Murphy was definitely taking various prescription meds.

Sources say her condition and the meds could have triggered a heart attack, but it's too early to know. An autopsy will be performed Monday or Tuesday. We reported earlier Monjack did not want an autopsy but ultimately it's the Coroner's call.

Brittany MurphyAs we first reported, Brittany Murphy's mother told paramedics her daughter suffered from diabetes. We're told it was type 2 diabetes and people involved in the case doubt her condition caused her death.

Bexie

Ok, first to all the morons that say diabetes is caused by being overweight, go type in any search engine "What causes type 2 diabetes" and read up. While being overweight is a common factor, not all overweight people have diabetes and not all T2 diabetics are overweight. Diabetes (T2) is caused by the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the body not being able to use the insulin (type 1 is the total lack of insulin).
As for her death, someone run over to wikipedia and type in Karen Carpenter. See anything strange? Dead at 32 of heart failure, Complications from anorexia.

Maybe Britt decided to doa little Bingey/Purgey and her heart couldn't take it.

noone

What happened at her death-her husband not around, her mother found her in the shower, her husband not coming over to watch the paramedics try to save her life...this was HIS WIFE, IN CARDIAC ARREST. THEN the whole scene in PR-where the husband was acting so strangely, getting into fights with everyone, the two of them missing their flights, and Brittney gets fired, the plane ride back where the husband goes unconscious and incoherent and Britney tries to pass it off as an "asthma attack' to authorities who met the plane! AND NOW HER DEATH JUST A FEW WEEKS AFTER THIS MESS- SOMETHING NOT RIGHT HERE, NOT ADDING UP WITH HIS ACTIONS!

chapper

I am very sad for Morhpy.............South Beach Brite

Alan

Heath Ledger, Anna-Nicole Smith, Michael Jackson, Brittany Murphy when will the people of Hollywood and America's Justice system get the balls to stop this mass slaughter of talented Stars who have prescription Drugs handed to them on a silver platter.

All we read about is "Oh yes and we take this seriously and we will investigate this and mark my words we will bring these doctors to justice...we will take a stand on prescription drugs.....blah blah fu*ing blah" and the no one does anything at all it always gets swept under the carpet doesnt it until the next Star dies, and the next and the next...

Emily

9 years ago when a close friend with diabetes got the flu, she went into cardiac arrest. she was only 19 years old so it can happen. the senario almost sounds the same, she got sick and was taking meds for the flu and not even 2 days later she got way worse all of the sudden and...well...just sayin it happens

Country Girl

Though it certainly could have been swine flu (H1N1) which killed Brittany, no one should discount the possibility that she had diabetic ketoacidosis which was brought on by her illness.

Ketoacidosis occurs when a diabetic's blood turns very, very acidic. It happens when diabetics are sick with other illnesses. It happens when diabetics have lots of adrenalin in their systems. It happens when diabetics are exhausted. It happens when Type 2 diabetics are turning into Type 1 diabetics as their pancreases degrade and shut down.

The intense vomiting and wanting to be in the shower are two of the symptoms of diabetic ketoacidosis. Been there, done that. Diabetics can go into a coma with ketoacidosis. Been there, done that. Diabetics lungs can shut down when in ketoacidosis. Been there, done that.

Diabetics can have a heart attack and die while in ketoacidosis. I haven't had that happen yet, but one of my childhood diabetic friends died that way.

In Brittany's memory, let's hope that if her diabetes was involved, this becomes a education for people who are diabetic and don't know it yet, and for people who live with or are friends with diabetics.

Friends of Brittany dismissing these events, because they think she was only a Type 2 diabetic simply show they know very little about diabetes.

Look at all the WJ spermette cheerleaders on TMZ. WJ rahrahrah!

I hope Brittany is buried next to Michael so we can see more of him.

twilightmom

I'm a nurse and know how you get both diabetes. So who do you know that is underweight with Type 2 diabetes? I would like to know? Type 1 is always autoimmune! Overweight type2! Jenny

So, your a nurse Jenny? Did you just graduate, because you sound like a newbie know-it-all. Type 2 diabetes can be caused by numerous other things besides obesity. And it is possible for ANYONE to develop type 2 diabetes REGARDLESS of weight. I have had NUMEROUS pts that were small and developed type 2.
If anything just from reading this post I would first rule out dehydration, which when severe enough can cause an elecytolyte imbalance which can lead to a fatal dysrhythmia--exactly as dr fred posted, as well as lillipolooza (u took the EXACT words out of my mouth girl! (: ).
I think you may need to review your chapter on endocrinology. (o:

Sarah

I would not be surprised if she actually had Type 1 diabetes and was misdiagnosed. If she was not given insulin, this is exactly how you would die, especially if she had "the flu" to push her over the edge (early diabetic coma symptoms can also mimic the flu). She was thin, so it sounds like she had TYPE 1 diabetes, which is NOT related to obesity or lifestyle. It's a genetic autoimmune disease thought to be triggered by a virus. Many people who are diagnosed as adults (it's more common to appear in childhood)are misdiagnosed with Type 2 diabetes (which is the form related to obesity that usually appears in adulthood and can be usually treated with pills and diet). These people die because they really have adult onset Type 1 diabetes and are given pills for Type 2 diabetes instead of insulin. Tragic. If this is the case, I hope the family sues.

Liz

RIP Brittany. Died way too young. Only the good die young.

Hate to speculate but some reading some of the other outlandish comments, I have to leave my own. I think her death may be like Heath Ledger's tragic death. Mixing pills can be deadly, even if they are prescribed. If you regularly take say a sleeping pill and an antidepressant plus get sick, you'll be taking a lot of meds. Some medicines slow down your heart and others make it go faster, combine them and it's dangerous.

Anon

Was watching some of her more recent interviews and she looks like she's not all there. I would not be surprised if drugs were found to be the cause.

twilightmom

Let me also say, before others jump my commemt. I agree with dr fred, hearing there was a significant amt of vomiting one would have to possibly think some type of poisoning. Also, possibly a reaction to a combination of drugs as previously mentioned, or it could potentially be a reaction to the mess they gave her for the flu-like symptoms she was having. (it is possible to develop a reaction after several days of taking a medication, although not as likely as anaphylactic shock)
So many things could have brought on cardiac arrest and so little clues on our end. That's what the coroners for. Its never mentioned whether her mother began CPR prior to EMS arriving. That could have *possibly* saved her life if started early enough.
I apologize to any who think I come off as a know-it-all myself, I certainly don't mean to come off that way. It just really ticks me off when people act as if they are DEFINITELY right about something when they aren't. I certainly don't believe I am perfect and will always accept when I'm wrong and learn from others who do know more than I do. (-;

Simon Monjack

So sad .. RIP angel.

Brittany Murphy Last Interview Before Death

antbabs

Has anyone heard where her fat husband was at when this all happened? Surely not at the gym. Just curious since her mom was the one to make the 911 call.

MedicalMogul

First off, for those beating the debate of Type 1 & Type 2 Diabetes with a stick, bare in mind that in her earlier days in Hollywood, she was slightly overweight. Still very adorable, but a little overweight non the less. That said, yes --- Type 1 is traditionaly an autoimmune difficiency & Type 2 carries a stigma as being to do weigh control issues. But as some have pointed out, Type 2 can be brought on for a host of various reasons.

Now, what concerns me most and leads me to believe that it may have been H1N1 as suggest --- or "speculated" --- by many on here, is the detail of her symptoms and the fact that she was diabetic. To the previous poster who detailed how this effects the funtions of the organs and can lead to a rapid deterioration of the body's system, you couldn't have been more spot on.

Secondly, her husband had just flown back into LAX from Puerto Rico on Nov. 28 and was incoherant upon landing of the plan. I'm gussing he may have caught something and sadly, she contracted it.

I could be mistaken in all of this, but I have my reasons based on experince to guess this is the most likely case until LA's ME discloses a report.