Brittany Murphy -- Frantic Rescue Effort

12/22/2009 4:00 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Brittany Murphy Brittany Murphy's husband and mother made a frantic attempt to revive her before paramedics arrived ... this according to notes written by an investigator from the L.A. County Coroner's office. And, there were a shocking number of strong prescription meds on Brittany's nightstand.

TMZ has reviewed the documents, written by Investigator Blacklock. According to his notes, Brittany Murphy "had been complaining of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pain" for 7 to 10 days prior to her death. According to the notes, Murphy went into the bathroom at around 7:30 AM Sunday and shut the door.

A half hour later Brittany's mother, Sharon Murphy, went to check on her daughter, opened the bathroom door and "discovered the decedent lying on the floor unresponsive." According to the notes, Sharon yelled for help. Brittany's husband, Simon Monjack, who was in bed, heard the screams and ran to the bathroom.

According to the notes, Sharon called 911 and Simon "attempted to revive the decedent by placing her in the shower and running the water."

The notes continue -- "The decedent remained unresponsive and purged her stomach contents prior to the arrival of the paramedics."

When the paramedics arrived, Brittany was "without signs of life."

Paramedics moved Brittany from the bathroom to the master bedroom, where they found a slew of prescription drugs -- "A check of the nightstands revealed large amounts of prescription medication in the decedent's name. Also noted were numerous empty prescription medication bottles in the decedent's husband's name, the decedent's mother's name and unidentified third party names."

According to the notes, the medications included Topamax (anti-seizure meds also to prevent migraines), Methylprednisolone (anti-inflammatory), Fluoxetine (depression med), Klonopin (anxiety med), Carbamazepine (treats Diabetic symptoms and is also a bipolar med), Ativan (anxiety med), Vicoprofen (pain reliever), Propranolol (hypertension, used to prevent heart attacks), Biaxin (antibiotic), Hydrocodone (pain med) and miscellaneous vitamins.

The notes say, "No alcohol containers, paraphernalia or illegal drugs were discovered."

According to the notes, "The night prior to her death, the decedent had consumed some noodles, leftover Thai food, Gatorade, water and tea with lemon."

The notes also say Brittany had a history of hypoglycemia and was hospitalized in April 2009 for low blood sugar while on location in Oregon."

Monjack told the investigator during the 7 to 10 days prior to her death, Brittany complained of shortness of breath and severe abdominal pains but he was not overly alarmed because "she often suffered from severe menstrual pains."

Brittany MurphyThe investigator spoke with police at the scene, who told him "foul play is not suspected."

Previous 15 Comments | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Cheryl Shuman

Brittany Murphy will be laid to rest tomorrow on Christmas Eve. I hope you'll join me in prayers for her restful peace in eternity. God bless us all. Let's make sure that we share our love, appreciation and respect for all of our loved ones. Life is precious.

Cheryl Shuman
Beverly Hills, California

Lena

To all the commenters talking about topamax for weight loss ...

- it is not a recommended use because of all the nasty side effects
- it is not effective for weight loss for many patients

I took topamax for migraines for way too long. Did I lose weight while on topamax? Probably 5% or a bit more of my total weight while on it. Magic pill? NO! I lost weight because topamax caused me to want to sleep 15+ hours a day, and caused memory and cognition problems so severe that I could walk into the kitchen to make some food and forget why I was there, I could put food in the microwave to heat up and find it hours later - forgetting I had cooked it (maybe I would have lost more weight if I hadn't had to rely on so much convenience food because I was afraid to put anything in the oven for fear I would forget it was on). Many times I would miss my exit coming home for work or take twice as long to get somewhere because I made wrong turns in a city I grew up in. Finally getting off the stuff was like becoming human again.

Again, though these kinds of side effects are not uncommon, they are not the same for every patient.

If I had to live as a near zombie for the rest of my life to avoid death or brain damage etc. that is one thing, but to exchange one debilitating condition for another seems like a bad trade.

I have had multiple doctors tell me point-blank that some medication they are prescribing for me "works" for maybe 20% of patients who try it, and that it is to be expected to try drug after drug after drug without benefit until we stumble on one that might work for me ("work" in this context is reduce the number or length of my migraines, fortunately they never lie and tell me they might go away altogether). Other than the zombie drug, they have "tried" a drug that required me to get regular blood tests to make sure my liver was still working, another one that the doctor wanted to give me the first dose in his office just in case it caused heart problems, and another that caused me to become slightly crazy (though more functional than topamax).

The thing is, as evil as migraines are, they won't kill me. I do however need functioning liver, heart, and brain to survive.

Whether or not this or that person has problems with prescription medication or "doctor shopping" is an issue, but it seems to me the main issue is beyond hollywood and celebrity culture.

It is too easy to go see a doctor in a desperate state and accept anything they tell you. It is very difficult when you are in pain or suffering under the side effects of your condition or current treatment to second-guess the person with all the degrees on the wall. The truth is that while patients should feel free to question doctors, the doctor is the one with the training and research and experience to know what is appropriate.

There is a difference between a doctor prescribing pharmaceuticals and medical treatments used for diseases and conditions that injure or kill you and other conditions that are "quality of life" issues.

Believe me, I do not minimize the severity of non-life-threatening conditions. Pain is pain, anxiety and other conditions can be truly debilitating, and many untreated mental illnesses can become life-threatening and proper treatment of all of these things is a good thing and should be sought.

It should be doctors' responsibility to gauge what treatments and medications are appropriate and what side effects and potential interactions are acceptable for a given condition. It should be doctors' responsibility to make sure there is full and complete and honest informed consent, and to tell patients possible side effects, potential drug interactions ... don't drive after taking XX, be more careful in the sun after taking XX, if YY happens call right away, etc. and they should not rely on patients reading and understanding all the fine print the pharmacist may or may not give you with your prescription (I'd like to know what percentage of college educated adults fully understand most FDA-approved drug inserts, not to mention how many actually attempt to read them in the first place)

The problem is, it seems like too many of them don't seem to take that responsibility seriously enough.

catherine

YES. In reference to #23 referencing to #584

Consider therapy.

Get your heads looked at.

That's just.............so, for a lack of words. just stupid.

Ellen

Topamax is also commonly used off-label for psychiatric disorders including bulimia, depression, bi-polar disorder.

tekd

Carbemazepine is not a diabetes medication, but it is another anti-seizure medication.
Between that and the topamax...

LWH

Shortness of breath, and she didn't think it was serious? Add the abdominal pain, she was obviously experiencing a heart attack! If she had checked herself into the hospital, she may be alive today. Such stupidity.

voltage08

She might not have been doctor shopping. I've acquired numerous prescriptions in the past because the first drug my doc prescribed did not work out for me, for whatever reason. For example, I was prescribed Klonopin for dental anxiety, but it gave me a severe rash. So, even though I had a full bottle of Klonopin, my doc prescribed Valium instead, which was fine. Don't assume anything, folks.

My husband had a similar situation when presribed Vicodin. He had a reaction, and the doc switched him to Percoset. He ended up with 2 full prescriptions of both, but he certainly wasn't taking them at the same time.

Laura

I notice a lot of people are commenting on how she had two different anti-anxiety meds or two different pain killers which in turn means she must have gone to two different doctors to get them... well I also suffer from anxiety, depression and I also have a number of different anti-anxiety meds and different anti-deppressents at my home. The reason for that is sometimes you try one medication and it may not work well for you so your doctor may prescribe a different kind to see if that works better. Sometimes you may go through a few before you find one that works well. I also have various pain killers in my house from different experiences I've had (broken ankle, kidney stones...) If I dropped dead tomorrow (God forbid) and someone searched my room they'd question all my meds too. Doesnt mean I use them all at once or even at all. Hope people stop jumping to conclusions until all facts are out. RIP Brittany... You will be truly missed.

carrie

for people that think that all these prescriptions are not the problem do some research go on to medlineplus.com clickon drug and supplement and you will see for yourself that this is really bad i always check what any doctor gives me before i take it you can trust everyone even doctors because if the side effcets are worse then what your going through i would'nt take it ,carrie p.s so go look and then you guys tell me.

carrie

cant trust your doctors or the meds they precruibe you soo go look

Tiffany bracelet

Great site. This could probably have the refactoring tag added t it.http://www.giftideastiffany.com/tiffany-bracelets/tiffany-charm-bracelet

Previous 15 Comments | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23