Billy Ray Cyrus -- Silent Night in Afghanistan

12/25/2009 9:09 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Billy Ray Cyrus gave the U.S. troops in Afghanistan an unexpected treat this week -- breaking out an impromptu rendition of "Silent Night" during a tour of a military operations center in Kabul.

It all went down after Cyrus learned the soldiers in the "war room" were unable to attend his stage performance scheduled for later in the trip. Someone asked Billy Ray to sing a little Christmas carol for the group -- and without hesitation, dude obliged.

Good work BRC.

A Person

At least it wasn't Miley. If it was, I would shoot myself.

KARMA

It wasn't that they were unable to attend, they put up good money not to have to go.

Anthony

sir I might be married And I don't {cheat} not with somebody like your daughter sir

Googie

Atta boy Billy Ray. I think it's great that you are giving your time to entertain our troops.

BR549

I agree. Atta boy Billy Ray. We should be positive on a day like today.

shuffler

I haven't seen him since the Achy Breaky Heart days. Mullet is gone. I'm still in shock.

Normal Sized

Yeah, I'm sure the troops were super stoked to see Billy Gay Cyrus show up. Way to ruin Christmas, douchesack.

Cheryl Shuman

I'm so happy for Billy Ray Cyrus and their success. They are great people from my Appalachian roots in Ashland, Kentucky. *CHEERS*

Cheryl Shuman
Beverly Hills, CA.

Party 'till you die!

Good for him with supporting the troops and all, but the guy still creeps me out. Sorry, but who just sits there and watches their very young daughter spin around and gyrate doing a pole dance. That's not the only time he put the chill on the back of my neck.

But props still for this fairly decent act.

janalal4

This is nice. Of all the things this man COULD have been doing during the holidays but he made the effort to visit the troops for whom this must be the loneliest time of year. God Bless all those who support our troops no matter what your political stance! MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!

Wombat

I've seen him only once in a concert of sorts. He was the "big name" at the Phoenix Freedom Concert last august. After a fantastic show (to that point) he comes out in a knockoff of Elvis's white pant suit complete with a huge white feather boa wrapped around his neck. This rather tall man then proceeded to sing really well...but all the time he was skipping across the stage like a 10 year old girl...and never took his sunglasses off. They were either on his face or pushed back on his hairy head like a barette. I left right about then. Even though I hear later that the concert went on for another hour...I would not have been able to stand watching this grown man prancing across the stage like a tootie-frootie in a San Francisco nightclub.

SP

Mean while our so called commander & cheif wa sin his $4,000 a night beach front house in Hawaii enjoying the good life.

Andie

Kudos to performers who sacrifice their time to visit our hard-working troops. Merry Christmas, everyone.

Chappaquiddick

Those poor soldiers, don't they have enough to deal with, besides having to deal with "I'm Miley's Dad, In Case You Didn't Know".

Amy

I feel bad for the troops that had to listen to billy ray. They already have to be away from their families during the holidays & then they're subjected to billy ray "singing"? Our troops deserve better.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments