James Cameron in Major A-Hole Dispute

12/25/2009 7:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

James Cameron -- the guy who directed "Avatar" -- directed a few choice words at an autograph seeking fan last night -- calling the guy a "f**king a**hole" during an argument over a signature.

It all went down at LAX -- when James walked past a man holding an "Avatar" poster, and refused to sign. The man went back to Cameron and asked again to which James replied, "I don't owe you a f**king signature ... just get out of my f**king personal space."

That's when the fan lost it and replied, "I'm an asshole because I ask someone I admire for their autograph that makes me an a**hole? I make $15-an-hour at work to go see your film and I'm an a**hole?"

Ultimately, James calmly walked away from the situation while the fan continued to yell at him.

But the real question...

Kay

Question is, did the fan and his accomplice get paid by TMZ.com for the video? If yes, end of discussion. TMZ's advertisers got a few more hits/eyeballs looking at their ad and everyone except Cameron made out okay.

Kate C

The fan approached him at LAX bearing a poster. I dunno about you, but I don't walk around LAX with an Avatar poster on the slim (next to none) CHANCE that I might bump into Cameron. This was quasi-stalking, and Cameron was under no obligation whatsoever to sign anything. It was not a meet & greet, it was not a random bump. I side with Cameron on this. Had the guy walked up with a napkin, yeah, sure...spur of the moment, but with a poster, that smacks of stalking, & selling it on ebay for profit sort of thing. Cameron +1 in my book. Fan was the jerk.

ANITA

Yeah, I agree with the fan, that was stupid. All the guy wanted was an autograph and this high and mighty creep thinks he's too good to do it. WHO DO YOU THINK MADE YOU A MILLIONAIRE YOU JERK???????? If the little people like us didn't spend our money to see your movies, you would be NOWHERE!!!!!!! That made my mind up for me, I'll never see another James Cameron film ever again. People know when they are stars that this is the life they have chosen. It's not like the guy was stalking him or wanted to hurt him. JAMES CAMERON IS A CLASSLESS SNOB!!!!!!!

jan

When celebs are just starting out they will do ANYTHING to get noticed, then when they become famous it's leave me the hell alone. Screw his movie, I won't see it. I'm sick of spoiled celebs who think there s*** don't stink!!!!

Laura

You can hear in the fan's voice that he is sincerely hurt. Would it have been such a huge act of generosity to take two or three seconds to scribble an autograph?

GaRosebud

This kind of reaction from the 'stars' has been going on for too long! Cameron was definitely the A$$hole in this scenario - I think the fan had every right to say what he said - we ARE their employers - they should at least reciprocate with a lousy signature! Like some of the other posts mentioned - it's not like he was eating or had children with him - it would have taken him all of 10 seconds to sign his name! I will no longer support this jerk! Those Hollywood stars need to remember who's keeping them in their "fluffy lifestyles" Merry Christmas everyone!!

JBo

while i've heard many "james cameron is a douche stories," i've got to defend him here.... this guy is not a "fan," he's obviously an autograph hound that wants the signature so he can sell it on ebay, and cameron knows it... even the biggest fans don't just happen to be at LAX with a poster in hand waiting for their favorite A-list director to show up.

Fred Farkel

If this clip airs on TMZ tonight as well as something like FOX NEWS AND CNN... it will cost this A$$HOLE 100 million dollars on lost box office alone.

I am calling FOX NEWS right now.

After I get my pie out of the oven.

Sing Sing

I just checked his birthday. He's a Leo. Explains EVERYTHING. Pompous mofo lol

SSinOC

Sign it with the guy's name on it and it'd be worthless :)

Ken

Cameron is quite the public relations guy. Anyway, Cameron has always been a pain in the butt. I would never spend money on his films. I can say Cameron has never received a penny from me. The autograph seeker shouldn't have went off on Cameron. Just vote at the box office by not paying to see the film. Done.

raw

Let's all watch bootleg copies of Avatar. Sticking it to the man, oh yeah!!!

Ms. Hysterical

James Cameron treats everyone like this when there are no cameras around to catch him. His movie-sets are like this every day. Just ask anyone who has ever worked for him. He makes Michael Bay look like Santa Claus. Remember the Huckabee video where the director goes off on Lilly Tomlin, that's James Cameron on a good day. He is a mean and angry man.

charley hardman

that 81% have selected cameron as the ass says nearly everything one needs to know about these demented times. entitlement clods from hell. cameron owes this jackass something because of how much the jackass worships him and decided to spend some supposedly huge amount of wealth watching something he created?

ludicrous. mobsters and crybaby "i need, i need" tools.

KARMA

I have some fresh droppings signed by Rudolph for sale!