« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Merlin Olsen Suit: Asbestos Caused My Cancer

12/31/2009 11:01 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Football legend Merlin Olsen is suing NBC Studios, NBC Universal, 20th Century Fox Film Corporation, Sherwin Williams, Lennox Industries and other companies, claiming he developed a rare form of cancer as a result of being negligently exposed to asbestos.

Olsen -- who gained fame as a member of the Los Angeles Rams and went on to be a sportscaster, actor and spokesperson for FTD Florists -- was diagnosed with the rare asbestos cancer mesothelioma a few months ago.

According to the lawsuit, filed today in L.A. County Superior Court, Olsen worked after school doing manual labor when he was 10 or 11 and was exposed to asbestos.

Olsen claims he was exposed to asbestos later in life when he was doing drywall. Olsen also worked at NBC and 20th Century FOX and is alleging those companies negligently exposed him to asbestos.

Olsen, who is undergoing chemotherapy, claims in the suit that all of the defendants, "were engaged in the business of manufacturing, fabricating, designing, assembling, distributing, leasing, buying, selling, inspecting, servicing, installing, repairing, marketing, warranting and advertising a certain substance the generic name of which is asbestos."

Olsen says in the lawsuit that mesothelioma "is a vicious, painful, and invariably fatal malignancy" and there is no known cure.

Olsen and his wife Susan are suing for unspecified damages.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

M

Companies are to provide a safe work environment for their employees. They made a ton of money while they exposed employees and the public to the harmful effects of asbestos. There is still asbestos in schools and buildings all over this country, but we won't remove it because it's too expensive... a lot of older houses have asbestos siding and they cover it instead of removing it because experts say it's "safer" not to disturb it. They just don't want to pay for it. There are commercials on TV for lawyers that will represnt you if you have mesothelioma. I know of one lady who contracted it because she worked in a factory when she was a teen. And yes, everone dies of something, but how long you live and the pain you experience at the end of your life could be drastically different if you contract a disease like mesothelioma. I hope he wins.

Whatever

4. Time to wake-up America...all the greedy lawsuits (Americans) and greedy lawyers are ruining this society. In 2010 and the New Decade, let's re-establilsh the original ethics and integrity upon which this country was founded.

Posted at 9:27PM on Dec 31st 2009 by Disgusted
==================================================================
"Original ethics and integrity"

Do you mean racial inequality? Gender inequality? The total hypocrisy of the founding fathers touting "liberty and justice for all" while owning slaves?

Certainly not the ethics or integrity I endorse. If doing so equates to "waking up," I vote for remaining asleep.

vaporware

Those deserving honorable mention but showing high on Merlin Olsen's 'Sue Everyone, Sue Anyone' campaign:

His mail carriers:they wore shoes which inadvertently attracted asbestos upon the soles, which then transferred asbestos onto his mail

City of Logan, Utah:The city should have prevented his neighbor's sewer from backing up, dumping harmful but rare doses of 'turd asbestos' onto the grass where a young Merlin played as a child.

The Mormon Church:Damn that Joseph Smith, Jr-why didn't he warn Mr. Olsen about asbestos when he wrote The Book Of Mormon

Finland and Quebec:These countries were obligated to notify Merlin Olsen's ancestors upon the discovery of asbestos

Merriam-Webster's Dictionary:Nowhere in any of the editions is there a warning to the Olsen family regarding asbestos

Merlin Olsen's acting coach:this is an obvious choice

GOD

Penis Hilton

Disgusted, death by doctor is ok but legal action is not allowed? The one constant in this hairbrained society is that people are sheepishly stupid to a fatal fault. Forget lawyers. Standard medicine quackery has killed more people in this country than in all the wars combined. Susanne Somers wrote a book about the folly of chemo and radiation. I suggest that anyone with cancer reads it.

drunkb

drtruth is claiming we should take medical advice from that braindead suzanne somers over our oncologists? merlin olsen sickens me with his lets sue everyone attitude. Its sad he is sick, but that is no excuse for his current actions.

efnsteve

Anybody hating on Merlin needs their head checked. If you no anything about the man, you would know he is one of the most stand-up, straight shooting guys there has ever been. I hope he wins and I hope he collects a fortune.

efnsteve

P.S............ The next T.M.Z headline will be... "Lindsay Lohan dead" at the age of (whatever her age is)

Joy

3. My father in-law was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma (stg 2) in 2008. He also contracted disease from exposure to work hazard asbestos. He has received treatment at Roswell Cancer Institute in Buffalo NY. He is now in remission. He also had a lawsuit for his disease, and won. My prayers and wishes go out to him and his family. If TMZ could give him info on Roswell Park Cancer Institute; Dr. Demi was surgeon and oncologist, also, if there are any questions, please feel free to contact me.
Amanda

Posted at 9:27PM on Dec 31st 2009 by Amanda Tredinick

WOW YOU'RE AN IDIOT! NO ONE FORCED THIS GUY TO WORK @ THESE PLACES! SUE...IT'S THE AMERICAN WAY! DISGUSTING!

Wombat

Wow! I thought he got it from chewing the bark off Michael Landons big, fat log when they were on "Little House on the Prairie."

Interracial facial

Drunkb is drunk with establishment sheep disinfo lies. Chemo and radiation is like adding gas to a fire to destroy the body and not always the cancer. Standard medicine helps you die. Nature heals.

MerlinOlsenFanClub

Go get them Merlin! I'm behind you 100%...in fact I just filed a lawsuit myself. It turns out that shortly after I was born...I began to die!

Do you have any idea what it feels like to spend your whole life knowing that you might die any second? I do...in fact, I've spent the last 75 years with that hanging over my head.

I'm suing my mother, my father (surely he had something to do with it), God, Dr. Phil, those bastards that make Twinkies, and George W. Bush since he is guilty of everything that ever goes wrong in this country.

willard

Did he smoke?

Artrina

How much actual work do we think "Mr Olsen" actually did? The old man is going broke and wants some easy $$$. I hope his lawyer got a fat retainer that the old man has to pay either way and that he doesn't even get ONE CENT

DingDong DingDong

Can you believe that crap. It's amazing what people will do for the almighty dollar.
Hes a better man then this.
Bet Olsen can't stand to look at himself in the mirror.
Hope he gets better but come on.

Bash a Pap

Atrina... You make me sick. You are a worthless and ugly soul. I hope to God you NEVER have children as I am afraid they would be as nasty as you and this world does not need more Atrina. In fact I ask that you do the noble thing and off yourself already.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments