Joan Rivers 'Held Hostage' in Costa Rica

1/4/2010 3:42 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Joan Rivers claims she was "held hostage" by airport security in Costa Rica yesterday -- all because of a name from her past.

Joan Rivers 'Held Hostage' in Costa Rica

The drama unfolded after an airport official checked out Joan's passport and became suspicious when he noticed it read "Joan Rosenberg AKA Joan Rivers."

Joan claims she tried explaining her late husband's name was Ed Rosenberg -- but the official found the whole thing fishy and gave away her seat on a flight back to Newark. Joan was pissed.

We're told police were called to the scene -- but Joan never got her seat back.

Rivers claims she was forced to put herself up in a hotel overnight to wait for another flight out this morning.

We're told the passport situation was eventually resolved and this morning Joan got on a plane -- but as you could imagine ... she ain't happy about it.

Seacrest is a Shorty

I'm so sick of her and her talentless daughter. Nepotism at it's worst. I am glad they made her wait over night. I hope she steamed about it the entire time and didn't sleep a wink. She can't shut her eyes anyway! hahahahahaha Do NOT like her.

kromen

Maybe her face didn't match the picture on her passport.

cochino

If shes's pissed, how does she think we feel?

Why is she still on tv is beyond me.

WHY TMZ think she's worthy of attention is more baffling

Democrats are evil

All because our country refuse's to profile mid-eastern muslims. Instead they harass white Caucasian women.

Beau

Why didn't Costa Rica keep her?

Wait, she probably opened her mouth so much, they couldn't take it.

Hells Kitchen dogwalker

Met her, she's a good person, you idiots who come on here praising Michael Jackson, he was more of a plastic surgery disaster than she is and a pedo as well. I love Joan, this is ridiculous, she's still funnier than 90% of the comedians out there.

karencarpenter

...and yet she remained expressionless throughout the entire ordeal. How 'bout that!

Sharon X

That could have easily have been me. I am 65 years old, had 2 husbands and not all my ID/name information match. I do not travel that much so, I probably wouldn't even know I had a problem until they bumped me. I would have been very angry also after going through all the security checkpoints!

This Continental employee and the Northwest Airlines manager who let a 20-something with a one way ticket, no luggage, AND a Muslim name board that Detroit flight should BOTH be fired.

There is just no substitute for using brains (logic) to determine the difference. The Continental employee was a MORON as was the Northwest Airlines employee! Fire 'em both!

iknowitall

I LOVE JOAN RIVERS! She is a survivor. When the so-called "king" Johnnie Carson treated her like **** because she got her own show, she ENDURED. She was one of the first stand-up female comedians in a field that is still dominated by men. I respect her.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4