KFC Ad -- OK for Australia, Racist for US?

1/6/2010 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Placating a crowd of black people with a bucket of chicken is considered good marketing by Kentucky Fried Chicken in Australia -- but it's causing a bit of a fervor here in the States.

The ad shows a very distressed white guy, surrounded by a crowd of black people at a cricket match, who wonders, "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation?" He gets out of the "awkward situation" by handing them a bucket of chicken.

A rep for KFC Australia told a local paper, "It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team ... The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

UPDATE -- We just got this statement: "KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season. We apologize for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone."

why?

#8
STEVE, I AM A BLACK PERSON AND THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY THAT BLACK PEOPLE DON'T LIKE IS IGNORANT PEOPLE THAT THINK THEY CAN PUT A RACE OR CULTURE IN A BOX AND ASSUME. WHEN I WAS GROWING UP IN A BLACK NEIGHBORHOOD IT WAS A "FACT" THAT ALL WHITE BOYS HAD A SMALL TOOL, BUT THEN I MARRIED MY WHITE HUSBAND AND LET'S JUST SAY IT AIN'T SO IN HIS CASE BUT MAYBE YOURS :)

lalaloo

I think that the "awkward situation" is that he is wearing a jersey for a team other than the West Indian Cricket Team and is surrounded by West Indian Cricket Team fans. Those of us in the US would have no idea because we don't recognize the jerseys for cricket teams.

That being said, Australia does not have the best record when it comes to race relations and it would probably be best to avoid any appearance of racism.

beeasy312@yahoo.com

The question is: Which is really racist? Everytime you see a bucket of chicken and black people assume people are making fun of them or holding up a bucket of chicken when black people are present?

Vic

I have been to restaurants where African Americans take pride in the fried chicken they cook. No racism, just some good eats & I keep goin back for it. I'm spanish & I serve my rice & beans with pride, with some pollo.
It's nice to travel & see different cultures but even more meeting the people who take pride in who they are.

karencarpenter

thats like saying all gays like disco music.

christian

if it was an awkward situation - the blacks would be looking at the white guy cross eyed for wearing the wrong jersey (that is not rooting for their team) ...in this case, the blacks are having a good time anyway (because the commercial in part marginalizes them, they don't count - kinda like the whole history of australia)

Vic

Now if Kim Kardasian were to do that comercial would it be racist?

MightyMad

Man, you got to love white people - they feel so bad about how they've treated black folks over the years, they think that EVERYTHING involving them with us is potentially bigotry! Hilarious... You know what, guys? Wait until we get piss off over something that's truly racist, then you can just on the bandwagon.

BTW, even though this commercial wasn't racist at all, Australia got a really bad history of mistreatment of the aboriginal people of the country, just as bad as America's... so why don't we let them take care of their own messes and we take care of ours, you feel me?

why?

So Vic...
Because you have encountered people at restaurants you know what black people eat and love. People in general eat chicken because it is cheap and easy to cook. I remember going to Panda Express last year and a hispanic cashier asked me if I wanted hot sauce with my meal, I said "no" and he said "I thought you people like hot sauce". Needless to say I went off, and contacted the cooperate office. Sometimes Vic I like Chinese, Indian, Italian, American, Japanese, it all depends on my mood not race or culture (which I was born & raised in America with Afircan, Spanish, Native American, Irish, French ancestory). Do not speak for me, as I do not speak for anyone else.

Vic

No...all gays like Oprah,Lady Gaga,Home decorating shows,Kathy Griffith,Show Tunes & a Big D**k up they're A**.

kayla

As a black West Indian, I just want to say that American blacks have no business getting upset over this advert. There is a long rivalry between the West Indiaan and Australian cricket teams. You idiots don't even know what cricket is. THIS AD IS NOT RACIST!!!!

steeldonkey

Who doesn't like fried chicken?

Ewwww

Aussies are still the biggest racists on the planet. That's old news. That's what happens when you live in the outback and you're segregated from the rest of civilization. They're also extremely sexist too. And they still refer to Chinese and Japanese people as Orientals. They're geographically and socially out of the loop.

Steve

Why is it racist? Every Black person I've ever known likes fried chicken, hell I even like fried chicken. Now if they had a commercial where he gave them chicken necks that might be different.

myt23

Only in the U.S. would putting black people and fried chicken together be considered racist.