KFC Ad -- OK for Australia, Racist for US?

1/6/2010 2:40 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Placating a crowd of black people with a bucket of chicken is considered good marketing by Kentucky Fried Chicken in Australia -- but it's causing a bit of a fervor here in the States.

The ad shows a very distressed white guy, surrounded by a crowd of black people at a cricket match, who wonders, "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation?" He gets out of the "awkward situation" by handing them a bucket of chicken.

A rep for KFC Australia told a local paper, "It is a light-hearted reference to the West Indian cricket team ... The ad was reproduced online in the US without KFC's permission, where we are told a culturally-based stereotype exists, leading to the incorrect assertion of racism."

UPDATE -- We just got this statement: "KFC Australia is removing the television advertisement that was being run in conjunction with the Australian cricket season. We apologize for any misinterpretation of the ad as it was not meant to offend anyone."

Susan

I am an Australian who has lived in the USA 7 years now and fondly call it home. I am afraid that this add has been taken the wrong way by americans ..... it is not racist ...its about sport. Australian's love their sport, and our cricket..cricket is a sport where we fly from nation to nation, playing each other, it is a very big sport among all the British colonies. We have had rival between the team featured in this add for years and years. Since the teams "hate each other" the Asutralian is trying to pacify them with chicken...because everyone is supposed to love chicken. It is not racist...its not ment to be.

a.y.harrison

This is for you # 11 steve, You are a straight up racist, because everybody black don't eat fried chicken, I for one don't even eat fried chicken, matter of fact I don't eat chicken at all and the majority of my family members don't eat it as well. News flash I'm a straight up Black vegetarian for your information. So it's obivious that you don't know any black people, which puts you in the category of all the other white people that make assumptions that Black people love fried chicken. This statement is for all the whites that generalize and put
all black people in the same class, which shows how ignorant you are when you post or make statements like like this. Maybe some of you need to take a Cultural diversity class. Matter of fact all of you think
that black people love fried chicken should. Don't be so quick to pre-judge, because when you do,it shows that you are prejudice!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For all you ones that believe that black people like fried chicken, why don't you try talking to a few blacks,you might be surprised.

fay

Are you freaking kidding me with the poll saying this is not racist? Oh my damn! As the saying goes, "give them an inch and they'll take a mile!" In order for the terrified white man to get out of the uncomfortable position of being surrounded by black people (oh the horror), he tries to calm the potential savage beasts with a bucket of chicken!? Where's the collard greens, black eyed peas and cornbread. Oh, and we cannot forget to add the watermelon. Get the F out of here with this mess.

blackgurl

32. Yeah but you resent us for giving you everything Africa never could...we hate you for f*cking up everything we created....big difference.

WE WERE SOLD BY OUR OWN PEOPLE YOU DID NOT GIVE US A DARN THING. WE EARN EVERYTHING WE HAVE HERE IN AMERICA WHILE THE PEOPLE IN AFRICA WHO SOLD US HAVE NOTHING AND COME HERE OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL AND STILL HAVE NOTHING ARE ARE EVEN MORE RACIST THAN YOU WHITE PEOPLE

wasted days and wasted nights

I am a white guy who gets together with a group of black friends about once a month and I bring the chicken--Kentucky Fried Chicken. A couple of months ago, I took over two buckets of that new grilled chicken--and they were none too pleased with my changing up from good ol' original. So when we got together last week, I assured them that I would not make that mistake again. And we laughed about it. And so did the black guys at KFC when I told them that my friends didn't want me showin' up again with grilled chicken.

dave

It's absolutely hilarious!!! Just like how the black-faced Jackson 5 group was hilarious down there. Thank God they don't live their lives minute by minute worried about hypocritical PC police like the Nazis at this liberal propaganda of a website!!!

dave

I always knew I loved that country!!

Brian

66. Im an Aussie that lives in Canada. Only when I moved to Canada did I learn the stereotype of Black Americans eating chicken. Most Aussies don't know that stereotype. Your culture is not ours. Nor are you West Indian Black Americans. Guess what.. the world doesn't revolve around America. Answer me this yanks. Who is Kevin Rudd? Gough Whitlam? Bud Tingwell? John Farnham? Sara-Marie? What is the capital of Australia? Exactly.

Posted at 2:27PM on Jan 6th 2010 by Aussie
-----------------------------------------------
HEY! We know who Crocodile Dundee is!

Paula Duvall

It doesn't matter what one says, or does...the perennially insecure among us will find a negative connotation directed at THEM! Never mind that a lot of those things are very accurate, and are truthful, where these people are concerned! I remember a very wise quote, which says that, "Stereotypes are based on fact." These people DO eat chicken. These people DO have problems speaking English, coherently. These people DO have a higher-than=average propensity for committing crimes. These people DO have a higher-than-average rate of promiscuity, resulting in fatherless children...and, on, and on...Facts are facts.

dave

It's absolutely hilarious!!! Just like how the black-faced Jackson 5
group was hilarious down there. Thank God they don't live their lives
minute by minute worried about hypocritical PC police like the Nazis
at this liberal propaganda of a website!!!

Brett

I'm English and here's what I saw: the West Indian cricket team is touring Australia. KFC is a major sponsor. Everybody knows the West Indian team have some of the loudest (Caribbean tour anyone?!) and most passionate supporters in the sport. What better way to get some peace than provide them with the sponsors product.

Trust America to come up with a racial undertone to this commercial. America: trying to impose their way on the rest of the world...it's so easy to see why the rest of the world hates you. Butt out. Shut up. Deal with your own issues first you ignorant hicks.

Julia

Contrary to popular beliefs, not all black people love fried chicken or watermelon as some of the respondents seem to think. What you don't consider racist is considered racists by others considering the response. Why does Obama's name always come up when there's something considered racist mentioned? That right there shows racism is alive and well in this country. Frankly, I could care less about anything happening in Australia! If you don't like my opinion....eat me!

dave

This is totally true!!!! I was at a red light several years back when a group of black males snuck up on me and attempted to carjack my ride. I threw my to-go order from KFC on the ground and they ran towards it like a moth to a flame!! KFS saved my life!!

dave

Good grief, does Al Sharpton work at TMZ or something? I'm surprised you freaks haven't declared night time a "racist period of the day" since it's dark!!!!

Better Than You

It is RACIAL, not racist.

There is a difference.