NBC to Conan O'Brien -- The Choice Is Yours

1/8/2010 9:25 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

NBC has given Conan O'Brien the option to either do his show from midnight to 1 or leave the network, sources tell TMZ.

Conan Obrien and Jay Leno

As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's pissed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour.

jay leno click to watch:Stay tuned ...

vince

wow, I bet they're glad they taped the show in advance today

Jennifer

What a fricken joke, Conan is so much better than Leno can ever be. When leno was on i fast fowarded his monologue becuase it was flat and boring and only watched when there was a guest i liked, with Conan I watch him faithfully because he is so spontaneous and funny, you never know what he will do next. COMPELTE JOKE...GO AWAY LENO!!!!

Bob Villa

conan rules! long live the king of night time.

Misti

So Lame for Conan. Jay has had his day. Retire already.. I will watch Conan no matter what time he comes on.. He makes me LOL!!!!

Jenny

SO STUPID!!!!!!!! Conan is super funny, Leno's humor only appeals to 70 year olds. How many old people are up that late?

itstrue

I thought Leno retired. If so, why would he return to the same job.
Then again, who even watches these shows anymore.

jizzbro

LATES MATES YOU SUCK CONON

olddrunk

I like Conan but Leno was initially given the shaft when he was told to step aside and let Conan O'Brien take over the Tonight Show in 2009 in order to bring in a younger audience. It just didn't happen. Who is to blame is some suit that made this unfortunate decision five years ago.
Best of luck to all involved.
My money's on Craig Ferguson. If they start to mess him around, you will start seeing flying televisions.

moveover

Hey, his ratings tanked on NBC .... why would he think they'd be better on another network? (Especially against Jay)

Mike

Conan is not funny and has no place on TV, Jay is and jay can use the full hour. Jay just needs to have the OLD Tonight Show Comedy that was funny instead of the new "Jay Leo Show" that has no comedy other than Jay himself. The Tonight show had great comedic guests. All of the comedians on the current show are just lame and not funny.

Me

Bring back Johnny Carson.

chelsea

Why dont they just get rid of Fallon? Or give Jay the half an hour comedy show? Jay's not very good at interveiwing people, and if they cut all that stupid skits and stuff, he could easily do a stand up show. Hes the best Late Night host at that, so just give him that.
Im still voting for get rid of Fallon, and move everyone back half an hour.
As long as Conan is still on

remy

I don't understand why NBC made all these changes in the first place. If they wanted to keep Leno, then why not just leave him on the Tonight Show. I honestly miss Conan's old show. He may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think he's a smart, funny guy. I wish him the best and hope the network doesn't totally screw him over.

Avi

Come on!!!!!!!! Leave Conan & Jay Alone and let them do their show!!!!!!!!!

Whatthe

I just don't get it. Jay Leno is one of the most unfunny, pathetic talk show interviewers in the history of television.
I say they are screwing with the wrong guy here. Let Jay go home to wax all of his cars and keep Conan.