'Real World: Boston' Star Slams MTV Show

1/8/2010 2:00 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

In 1997, Genesis was one of seven strangers picked to live in a firehouse -- but Wednesday in L.A., she stopped being polite about the show ... and started gettin' real.

Genesis: Click to watch
When asked if she's kept up with the latest, drunken, hot tub orgy fueled seasons, the Real Worlder star shot back "F**k no, I haven't watched that s**t for 10 years" -- and said she was lucky she was on before the show turned into "Jerry Springer."

Advice to Genesis: Don't turn on "Jersey Shore."

Simone

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keith

FIRST !!!!

roonie

lol..Actually, the show hasn't changed one bit since she left it--same old same old......

Icebaby

Whoa. This was still back when MTV actually played music right? and there was at least few actual artists who DID have talent. You know, unlike the "music" kids are growing up with these days. Though, 97 was only a sign that for a full decade we were gonna be overrun by crap. Let's just wait and see what else will have besides auto tune, fake hip hop, and pop rock crap in the coming decade.

JerseyShore

FIRST OF ALL, REAL WORLD hasn't been good since 95. Jersey Shore is like the 1st 3 or 4 seasons of Real World. Just let them be and see what happens.

camommy

Yeah..she was on during the Puck era..the start of Jerry Springer.. What a hater bitch she is now.

Carl

MTV did play some music back in 1997, but it was well on its way to going music free by then. The classic "music first" era ended around 94 or 95.

As for Real World, it was already changing as well by the time she was on, although it wasn't as bad as it was today. The only somewhat realistic seasons were 1 (New York) and 3 (San Francisco, despite having Puck on it). I guess you could say season 2 (LA) was realistic too in the sense that the over the top cast (for the time)was a good fit for LA.

nick

All they do nowadays is cast a bunch of pretty girls and handsome guys and hope they all have sex. It used to be the "real world", now it's just "the world created by mtv in hopes of getting younger audiences to watch"

I support domestic violence awareness

How 'bout don't turn on that channel period. Trust me, it's life changing!!

FooFoo

The only REAL Real World's were the first two seasons of New York and LA. After that, it became scripted and what we see today. What a shame.

Jerry Martin

MTV has sucked since they turned from music to reality garbage.

AmyBee

I think it turned the corner with Vegas!

April

I love her. I met her about 10 years ago at Planet Hollywood in Orlando and she was so nice.

mike

The Real World today is NOT The Real World I grew up on. As someone pointed out, the Las Vegas season was a huge turning point, although things had already begun changing before that. The kids had careers or were given things to do, they mainly interacted with one another, but all had separate lives. You still see some of that, but too much of it is casting hot, controversial people (even better if they have some sort of existing problem), throw them in a house with a hot tub, ply them with alcohol and see what happens. Yes, part of the problem is that the kids today come in knowing what to expect and doing what they can for screen time - but it really has become a tawdry, shallow show.

Jennifer Bouldack

I know it would be more fun to really trash her for her comments, but actually, Genesis is right. It did used to be rather interesting - not so much entertaining as interesting - and could keep your attention as you watched the dynamics of personalities. Now, all the personality combinations have been explored (and exploited) and it is all redundancy at this point.

Also, I think my friend AmyBee here hit the nail on the head. It didn't occur to me until I read her words, but she is also right. It DID turn the corner with Vegas. It has never recovered from it or gotten back on track since.

"13. I think it turned the corner with Vegas!

Posted at 12:00PM on Jan 8th 2010 by AmyBee"

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments