'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel

1/12/2010 9:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay LenoJay Leno will get his one-hour show back, and it will be called "The Tonight Show".... sources tell TMZ.

We're told NBC honchos still have to sit down with Jay's rep and put the finishing touches on a new deal, but NBC has signed off on the plan if Conan O'Brien leaves ... and Conan has made it clear that he's leaving the network, and not on good terms.

O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blistering letter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."

Sources tell TMZ Jay and Conan have not spoken with each other since NBC announced the switch.

It's looking increasingly like Conan may be making a deal with Fox for a late night show from 11:00 PM to midnight.

Ha

Hey Jay "p**syboy Leno", kiss my a**. And NBC can kiss my a** too. I just took the now sucking the life out me but thank goodness they still have Zachary Quinto, Heroes off of my TIVO series recordings. O'Dell left Access Hollywood, so I have no reason to watch your channel at all since you took Conan is also leaving your sorry a** channel.

Can anyone say David Letterman smash Leno?

Tracy9999

I would still watch Conan whatever network he will be in!

Tracy, Status Now

J C

If I were Conan I'd stick it to NBC by working for Fox for $1 a year so NBC would be obligated to pay him the $ 80,000,000 due to him.
Then get a contract from Fox that would give Conan a big payday for His first Year in contract under Fox once NBC's expires.
That way He'd leave NBC and take 80 million out of the liberal propaganda network's coffers.

GMan

Bottom line: Tonight Show ratings are down 55% from last year. Yeah, 55%. I love how all the Conan supporters are popping off. Nightline beat both Conan and Letterman this week. Maybe if Conan had a interesting show, people would watch. C-Ya, Conando.

GTLT

Poor dumb Jay. He don't know nothin. He just do what he told. Right, he wants his old sandbox back cause he didn't like the new sand. Go pound sand Jay.

justsayin

N B C = NOTHING BUT CRAP
Go away Jay you suck you left the tonight show stay gone noboby cares about you the old folks home is missing it's idiot.

Zorch

If Conan is truly leaving and I won't
believe it until NBC announces it,.....
....I wonder if Jay will move to the new Universal lot studio
NBC built for Conan or if he will be staying in Burbank.

Cali MJ Fan

Well, it never made sense to begin with when they started this whole 'experiment' stuff with Jay and Conan. It is a shame that in the end Jay and Conan aren't speaking because of it. NBC has made some REALLY poor choices over the last year-- start a show, cancel it. Have a show like Las Vegas and then end it.. no warning, no finale. Damn, Molly Sims was in the middle of having something happen to the baby.. AND WE NEVER GOT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED!

NBC used to be the leader-- but lately they've been smoking a whole lotta something illegal to make the stupid decisions they have.

For the record, I'm on Team Jay. I have watched him since the day he took over from Johnny Carson.

the thing is

@Ty- FIRST OFF, Conan left the Simpsons to host "Late Night," he wasn't fired. Gee, write for a cartoon, or have my own show. Easy choice there you nimrod. SECONDLY, it was Jay's decision to leave. NBC would have gladly kept him, had he decided otherwise. TY, do you even read about the subject you're talking about to get the facts? And at one point, a reporter asked Jay if he'd ever go back to his old show, and HE WAS QUOTED as saying he would. And that was before all this crap that's happened. That is a slap in the face to Conan, who has never verbally attacked Leno. TY, you should read before you type...Who cares who's funnier, it should be what's fair. NBC effed up.

coolhandpete

If Conan was not trying to denigrate Jay's show by calling it a comedy program unless he was also denigrating his own show. Conan's letter specifically referred to Jay's show as "another comedy program."

TMZ is terrific at reporting the news when it doesn't try too hard to create more drama from it.

(Palin's hat? Give me a break!)

Jaggen

I love how all you Conan supporters are talking bout what crap Jay is. Your story is mixed up BTW.

Conan took Johnny and Jay's fan base DOWN 55%!!! Letterman was even beating Conan in ratings. What do you not understand about that. Jay was NUMBER 1 for 14 YEARS in late night TV.

Yeah I guess Jay is crap. Thats why he has a loyal fan base and is number 1 for over 14 years. Jay is The King of Late Night. Always has been always will be. Conan is bitter IMHO.

Looking forward to Jay coming back to The Tonight Show.

D.Clay

I will have ZERO respect for Jay Leno if he does this... He should follow Conan's lead and say NO to NBC. The idiots there should never have orchestrated this 5 years ago--they should have waited for Jay to retire on his own before offering the show to Conan.

Gibberish

If you are a supporter of either of them, their ratings won't suck. I can't watch Conan because I can't stand his endless so-called string dance. I can sit and watch for 30 mins and not laugh one bit. His audience is definitely much younger, but obviously has better things to do at 11:30p than to watch his show with silly acts and pointless long pauses.

As with Jay, his timeslot is screwed up. I have far too many options at 10pm. Plus, Jay has gone to more racy jokes in an attempt to win over the 10pm crowd, and it is for the same reason I stopped watching his show.

As for those who said Jay retired, you must be smoking. For those who said Conan has a weak lead-in, then why didn't you flip to NBC at 11:30p? You do know how to change channel, don't you? All the "I will follow Conan wherever he goes" is pure BS because they never watch his show in the first place. Want to argue on that? Just look at his ratings.

Harigx

Jay is Such a BITCH!

hunsister

Jay Leno is a loser no-talent thug. I will never, ever watch his show. I will boycott NBC because of how dishonorably they handled this situation. They should be ashamed. I hope Conan manages to recover huge dollars in damages.