'The Tonight Show' with Jay Leno ... The Sequel

1/12/2010 9:15 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay LenoJay Leno will get his one-hour show back, and it will be called "The Tonight Show".... sources tell TMZ.

We're told NBC honchos still have to sit down with Jay's rep and put the finishing touches on a new deal, but NBC has signed off on the plan if Conan O'Brien leaves ... and Conan has made it clear that he's leaving the network, and not on good terms.

O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blistering letter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."

Sources tell TMZ Jay and Conan have not spoken with each other since NBC announced the switch.

It's looking increasingly like Conan may be making a deal with Fox for a late night show from 11:00 PM to midnight.

Pipesnake

Anyone remember this? Conan signs a new contract based on this. Jay changes his mind and somehow forgets he said this. As of last night he was claiming he was "fired" from the Tonight Show.

Jay Walking
Jay Leno announces he'll retire -- in 2009. He'll pass the ''Tonight Show'' baton to Conan O'Brien in five years
By Gary Susman | Sep 27, 2004 Gary Susman

Jaggen

@the thing is #57

YOU have have YOUR story mixed up dear! (-:

Jay was FORCED by CONAN to leave The Tonight Show.

Maybe You should get Your facts straight before you start jumping down some poster and telling them their info is weong. I have not read their post but I know factly Conan demanded to be on the Tonight Show!! DEMANDED!

GTLT

Johnny and I won't say it, in the same sentance. Please, check yourself.

Don

I was in TV for over 50 years and one of the first things I learned was if the show has GREAT RATINGS LEAVE IT ALONE. I personally don't care for Conan. Sat Night live used to be very good I was a regular viewer but for the last 5 or 10 years for the most part it should Go and the Parks show as well.

Mike

Whoever wrote this article is dumb. If Leno's show isn't a "comedy program," then what the hell is it? Conan never took one cheap shot against anyone in that letter. But TMZ just took a VERY cheap shot at Conan.

ant

JAY suck and I WILL NOT BE WATCHING WHEN HE MOVES TO 11:35
I WILL FOLLOW CONAN TO FOX.

JAY show has never need funny!

Eric Hernandez

Conan is the best...by removing him from "The Tonight Show", it shows how stupid NBC is. Leno is a dork with a weird voice and ugly face. GO COCO!!!

Christy

Okay to all the people saying Conan demanded to be on the Tonight Show, it is fairly obvious they are more willing to let Conan go then they are Jay so why the hell didnt he stand his ground back then and say he didnt want to retire, then they would have let Conan go if he didnt want to stay which is essentially what resulted from this huge mess. I cant imagine that NBC would have promised that to Conan if Jay had been adament and upset about being replaced, they dont want to lose him to another network, I think Jay kind of wanted to retire and now when the time comes he wasnt ready.

the thing is

@Jaggen, you are perpetuating a lie. SHOW ME ONE REFERENCE from a reputable source to back up what you are saying. LENO announced his retirement. I CAN BACK THAT UP with many articles. WHO SAID HE DEMANDED IT? Can you back that info up? Send me a link and I will believe you. Can you do that?

KRJ

Conan took "cheap shots" at Leno? ARe you kidding me? Conan has shown more class an dignity in this mess than anyone else, including Leno. Cheap shots, my a*s.

Brandierenae

my remote will automatically change the channel from NBC at 10:30 - if not before.

I refuse .... REFUSE to watch Leno (Favre) he ... RETIRED ... NBC needs to think about what the public wants. not what Jay wants. EFF JAY LEN-HO

Tim

More proof that you can be a knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing moron, and still be an American network television executive.

What a bunch of jackasses.

Jim H

Prediction: Jay Leno will bring down the Tonight show with him. He's just... too... dumb... to live.

Conan did not take "cheap shots" in his letter. Leno deserved everything he got.

the thing is

@Jagged- You said you know factly, now please, SHOW ME WHERE YOU GOT THAT FACT FROM, or else you are just lying to save face.

jr

JAY YOUR SO HUNGRY FOR MONEY GET A LIFE LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!