Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal

1/14/2010 10:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay Leno has made a new deal with NBC, which gives him "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 - 12:35 ... sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, under the contract Jay had been working under, he was guaranteed the 10 PM hour. By moving him to 11:35, NBC was in breach of his contract and needed to negotiate a new deal. That is now done, sources tell TMZ.

So Conan O'Brien is out, and Jay is restored.

Jay Leno pictures

Dakota H

Leno is no victim. He was set to retire in May of 2009. Conan was to replace Leno as the Tonight Show host. So, everyone from Late Night with Conan O'Brien, packed up there stuff and family, and moved 3,000 miles away from New York to Los Angeles, which is a dumb. The show was given to Conan, who is much funnier, and Leno should go watch a couple car shows, and continue his stand up. I will follow Conan wherever he goes.

DaveNY5

This is going to work out just fine. Conan is going to get a boatload of money and a new show in direct competition with Leno and I think he's kick Jay's greedy butt. I'll bet Conan will be back in less than 3 months. Jay: don't mess with Karma!

Ang

Bye, bye Conan! Don't let the door hit you in the @$$!

espy25

Just curious....where were all you Conan fans when he needed ratings? He took a long-established gem and flushed it down the crapper. I would flip between Jay & Dave, but never Conan. He was best when his only competition was an infomercial. Welcome back, Jay. Conan, you should have the time and the money to get a real haistyle now. Buh-bye!

Alex

Somehow people forget that JAY decided to retire two years before it actually happened. NBC did not force him out, it was Jay's decision. That's when Conan was selected to replace him and Conan bided his time waiting for Jay's "retirement". Then, when Leno's ratings went up during that two year lag and he was on top again, he had second thoughts. Sounds like his ego took over. Is he related to Brett Favre?

JAG

leno is shameless! first he does that to letterman and now with conan! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HIM AND NBC? CONAN I SUPPORT YOU WITH OTHER MILLIONS OF FANS!

TEAM COCO!!!!!!

John Serge

Jay is the right man for the Tonight show at the right time: 11.35. Jay is the Tonight Show. He is a great representative for an iconic show. Jay is good at humor, but knows when to be serious. The Tonight Show is not just about humor.

Conan is better following him afterwards, as his frat boy humor appeals more to the later audience. Conan you´re not good at being serious - stick to your frat boy humor. Don´t leave Conan - you were the right man for the slot after the Tonight Show.

shar

Jay is old enough and has enough money to last him more than a lifetime....he's 59 and should retire with grace......I'm with Conan now

christine

I am really confused how several comments reference Conan pushing Jay out or Jay getting fired from the Tonight Show. He said he was leaving, NBC put in place a transition plan and they Jay decided he didn't want to leave. The issue is Jay and his ego. I will not watch him. Letterman should have Conan on his show the first night Jay is going to be back. NBC will continue to lose viewers. Why would anyone actually take this show over once Jay decides to "leave" again????

angelhill

You know Conan is probably a nice guy but The Tonight Show needs Leno. When he started the show do you not honestly think if Carson wanted the show back that NBC wouldn't have given it to him? Jay's earned this time and is great at hosting it. He worked and made it what it is and Conan was good enough late but not for this show. He's silly and not funny at all. I'm extremely glad Leno is back where he belongs and that I now can again watch my Tonight Show. I really missed it because I could never sit down and watch Conan. Now I'm back on board with Jay and NBC. I admit that NBC has done some totally crazy things and they keep taking off the shows that I watch but I consider this decision is a good one. Love you Jay.

angelhill

What idiots you people are. Jay's show was taken over by Conan to start with. Conan didn't care then what happened to Jay and obviously he doesn't care what was happening to the show. He is such a stupid jerk. Nothing he does is funny. It actually gives me a headache to even listen to him. Jay earned each and every one of the viewers from the show. Conan just got rid of the viewers. This is one move that NBC got right. It is not Jay's fault that Conan ruined the show and believe me if it was your money that he was pissing down the drain, you would be getting rid of him too. The Tonight Show wasn't broken until Jay left. Conan did that all on his own so leave Jay alone. He was the first one hurt in this whole thing. Let Conan act hurt and confused but remember that when he started the Tonight Show, Jay wished him well and even ask viewers to watch him and support him. Too bad Conan doesn't have the class that Jay does. Love you Jay, really thrilled that you're back and I can start watching The Tonight Show again.

Clare

Oh, this is good news!! I'll be watching the tonight show when Jay's back. I can't stand Conan, never have,never will.

Bill

I find it funny how people want to blame the different hosts. This is what NBC wants you to do. NBC is to blame for all of this. They went through many of these same issues with Letterman when Johnny retired and didn't learn from it. They were so desperate to not lose one of them that they created a worse situation. This has nothing to do with ratings, just bad decisions by NBC.

After originally giving The Tonight Show to Jay Leno do you think he would have achieved the ratings that he did if they then brought Johnny Carson back for a 10:00PM show? He would not have because the older crowd that liked Carson would have watched him at 10, then the news at 11 and gone to bed. Which is what just happened at NBC. Put the blame where it is due.

Babsie

Since Leno left the 11:35 slot, I have been avoiding NBC for both evening news AND Conan's show. I don't get his humor. Conan will always be the runt of the litter whereever he goes. I'll stick with Letterman for the duration.

the old gal

I totally agree with Ginger Smith, Conan is a less than stellar comedian, it's like watching a 7th grader trying just too hard to be funny. Leno is a class act, always has been, always will be. Letterman is little more than over-the-hill and long gone at this point. He's just not really funny anymore, besides being a cheat and liar. At least Jay has the brains to keep most of his personal life just that.....personal, and treats his job as merely that.....his job. Seems he rather has "it" together I'd say. I'm glad he's back.

Previous 15 Comments | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments