Leno and NBC Strike 1 Hour 'Tonight' Deal

1/14/2010 10:43 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Jay Leno has made a new deal with NBC, which gives him "The Tonight Show" from 11:35 - 12:35 ... sources tell TMZ.

As we first reported, under the contract Jay had been working under, he was guaranteed the 10 PM hour. By moving him to 11:35, NBC was in breach of his contract and needed to negotiate a new deal. That is now done, sources tell TMZ.

So Conan O'Brien is out, and Jay is restored.

Jay Leno pictures

Saultxyca

Jimmy Kimmel's BRILLIANT impersonization of Leno sums it up — a must see! I'm not a Conan fan but this was about as low and ugly as it gets; I hope O'Brien's attorneys make NBC pay up for this asinine, humiliating, stressful mess. As for Leno ... he managed to do the evil creepy routine AGAIN! Jay's humor ante is now completely soured under a dark cloud — he'll be firing shots from a glass house, just like Letterman. Jimmy Fallon summed it up beautifully: "I'm just glad to have a job." Thanks, Jimmy — when perspective goes, the is end is nigh.

Omar

Hey Leno, screw you! The classy thing would have been to retire. I hope Conan gets a show on FOX and buries you.

shannon2

I will never buy any product i ever see advertised on that low class, no talent, back stabbing network.

Conan O'Brien rocks.

Judy

I'm with Leno all the way. Conan is not funny.

disgusted

Jay Leno is a complete and utter sleaze. But I think when Conan and Dave get through with him, he won't have any friends left but Jeff Zucker.

Paul

I'll never watch The Tonight Show again until Leno is gone. NBC and Leno both behaved terribly to one of the nicest people in television.

Leno has now stabbed Letterman and Conan in the back. To the two Jimmies and Craig--Look out, boys. Never, ever, ever, ever turn your back on Jay Leno. Or NBC.

jasmine

Jay Leno isn't funny this makes me sad, TEAM CONAN FOREVER!

julie

Great job "passing the torch" Jay. Way to step up and be a man. Douche bag

Elloh

Give Conan 18years and I bet that he will have MORE viewers than what Leno did.

How can you Leno-fans compare 7months of hosting and 18years?!

Leno is a looser

So what happens when Leno wants to retire AGAIN in 5 years or he just gets so old (cause he is no spring chicken). They need to have someone that is going to be there for the long haul and not short term. Thats why they should of left Conan in and booted Leno! Shame on you Jay Leno your the one who decided to retire and your the one that caused this entire mess so you should be the one that gets the boot! Your a selfish bastard! I hope you tank. Conan you rule late night TV You wont see me watching Leno!

KK

Ginger Smith, your wrong. Jay retired, he announced five YEARS before he left that the show would go to Conan. then over the summer his fat chin got jealous and he somehow got NBC to buy into the 10pm thing. that was a total failure, but instead of taking his lumps and moving on like a real man, he is forcing Conan out.

Robim

Jay can have the 50+ demographic that love him and his stale humor. (BTW, why didnt they watch him at 10?)

Here's hoping Conan gets a new show that competes against Jay and kicks his old, saggy arse.

my opinion

I was really not a Conan fan but I am tired of hearing people Blame him for the low ratings. It is common sense that Jays new show tanked which lowered ratings of affiliated show that follows which in turn brought lower ratings to Conan doing the Tonight Show. I use to enjoy Jay but he and NBC have no morals, values or spines as far as I am concerned. JAY WAS NOT FORCED OUT he stated 5 years ago he would be stepping down to give someone else the chance. A real man would not go back on his word.

jxbong

to quote the great american EL RUSH BO "I HOPE HE FAILS"

Smooth Criminals

I see Coco fans have swarmed on mass here now to try to make this look like an unpopular decision.

If Coco was so good Letterman and Nightline wouldn't have beaten his brains out. Where were you all these months? I bet I watched Coco more than some of the people commenting here have.

At 10:00 Jay still had almost 3 times the viewers Coco had at 11:35 even though Jay's competition was a hell of a lot stiffer than Conan's.

Conan's fans are few and far between.

Smooth Criminals ex Coco Fan