Simmons Sorry for Premature Tiger Tweet

1/16/2010 12:19 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Russell Simmons now admits he jumped the gun when he said Tiger Woods was donating $3 million to help out Haiti -- but really, that's the least of Tiger's troubles.

Tiger's people say they are still evaluating the best way to help, but that didn't stop Russell from committing Tiger to something he hasn't committed to yet.

He tells TMZ, "Yesterday, I tweeted that Tiger Woods was contributing in a major way. My source for the tweet was premature, however, I strongly and passionately urge everyone with reach and means to act NOW as speed is everything to saving the lives of people in desperate need."

Tiger's camp says they plan to be a part of the relief effort, they are just considering their options.

Charlie

Wyclef Jean's and Russell Simmons charity is a sham. It is on Fox News and on the web site right now. The charity is not being backed by Art Taylor, president and chief executive of the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance, based in Arlington, Va. and he said the their charity is "questionable", and not to donate to the Haiti Foundation.

Charlie

I was going to text $5.00 to that Haiti Foundation and my friends said it was a scam too. I think the salvation army is doing a good job so instead of the donating the $5.00, they asked me to donate some of my time and I agreed.

petey

what a douche...

um, no thanks

Good thing many others did not sit on their ass and wait to figure out if they were going to or how to contribute.
It the house is on fire do you sit around and ponder how you could get out? No, you run out the freaking door. People are dying in droves over there but where are all the rich and powerful Black people?

Where are the rich and powerful black people? We don't know what to do, we have to think boo hoo, we have no idea how to make a difference, how are all the white people helping?
What if the money does not make a difference, I just bought a new car.
Can we write this off? We might have to batten down the hatches because were down to 997,000 dollars and Elin is renting a 2 million dollar home and we have two sets of utilities.

Where is Al Sharpton, Shaq, No Tipping Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, the rest of the NBA players? Jessie Jackson, Will Smith where is the support from the rich and powerful black people in this country?
Well, Michael is busy suing a grocery store chain that used his image with out permission and perhaps raising the cost of food to pay him off.
Scottie thinks waiters make enough per hour and their job is to wait tables and Tiger would help but has no idea what or how to and just paid off a skank and blah blah blah.

Gee

and why they are weighing their "options" more people are dying!!!! What is wrong with these wealthy people? I guess us "regular" folks need to pick up the slack for these cheapstakes. I just donated to the red cross through the local grocery store and I don't "have a pot to piss in!" SHAME ON ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE THE EXTRA $$$$ OR ASSETS AND DO NOTHING!!!! Remember.....karma......enough said!

emmasn

How much did Russell and his big mouth donate.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3