Nic Cage

Six Million More

Tax Problems

1/16/2010 2:20 AM PST BY TMZ STAFF

Nicolas Cage got an expensive New Year's gift from Uncle Sam -- a bill for $6.7 million in MORE allegedly unpaid back taxes.

0114_nic_cage_doc_launch_ex_tmz_01-1
According to a federal tax lien filed on December 31, 2009 -- Cage owes $6,712,821.99 in unpaid taxes for 2008.

According to Sam Levin, Cage's former financial manager -- who's in a legal war with Nic over the massive financial collapse -- by 2008, the actor had "15 palatial homes around the world, four yachts, a Gulfstream jet and millions of dollars in jewelry and art." Cage claims Levin was incompetent and underhanded and sunk Cage's financial ship.

As TMZ first reported, Cage is on the hook for $6,617,550.84 he owed for debts in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2007 -- making his new grand total $13,330,372.83.

It's unclear on how Cage will pay up -- due to the fact that Nic has described his own financial state as "catastrophic."

UPDATE: Nicolas Cage just gave TMZ the following statement: "Over the course of my career I have paid at least $70 million in taxes. Unfortunately, due to a recent legal situation, another approximate $14 million is owed to the IRS, however, I am under new business management and am happy to say that I am current for 2009. All taxes will be paid including any to be determined state taxes."

aquanet

I still love him even though he's broke.

beta

first.. again dang!

what

My $277 a week is difficult to manage.

jackschitt

When someone owes that much money, you have to wonder how much money did they actually make???? It really is impossible to feel sorry for someone like that.

The sad truth is, Nic will probably end up paying pennies on the dollar, while you and I pay Uncle Sam in full.

Kessa

I highly doubt this is a new lien -- most probably just interest accruing on his previous assessment. Cut the poor guy some slack.

juschillen

This guy must have made some serious money if he has this kind of tax bill. I wonder if I could tack on my 660.00 back tax the IRS is chasing me around for....I doubt he would notice.

jen

i believe him. i also think it's none of our effing business. honestly, i'd like to see the financial situation of all the tmz employees. cause i'm willing to bet there are a BUNCH of broke-ass people (and/or people in debt over their heads) working on staff.

i highly doubt nic cage is "broke." he did 4 movies last year, has 4 movies coming out in 2010, and he already has 4 films in the works for 2011. (by the way i'm not some creepy nic cage fan, i just looked him up on imdb for all that info haha).

Renee

@#9: If you pay taxes, you should know, you are only filing for that particular year and since Cage owed over $6 million in 2007 and didn't really unload any of those properties from 2007, it's likely he'll owe an additional $6 million for 2008. Cage admits in a statement that he owes $14 million in taxes.

@ #11: As Samuel Levin pointed out in his lawsuit against Nic, he told Nic he would have to earn upwards of $30 million a year to maintain his lifestyle. It's clear, Cage is NOT making $30 million a year no matter how many movies he's making. Cage is NO LONGER RECEIVING THOSE $20 MILLION PER PICTURE PAY DAYS - HE'S SIMPLY NOT WORTH THAT ANYMORE. Thus, the multiple projects he's involved in. And as far as it not being our "effing business", when you become apart of the entertainment business, that's the price you pay, no privacy! My suggestion is, stop reading TMZ if you feel it's none of our "effing business!"

jen

@#12 - you're right. he makes $10 mil a film. which would put him at making $40 mil a year. which generously covers the $30 mil annually you said he needed.

bank rate says he still makes $20 mil per film, here's the link:

but fox news cited $10 mil per film:

so i'm using the lesser figure for the benefit of the doubt.

as for the no privacy for celebs thing, i sort of see your point. but this is hardly "gossip" or "news-worthy" to me, because it happens all the time to regular people, small businesses, and large corporations. just because he's rich doesn't mean he (or his accountant) can't make mistakes, it's just that his mistakes are exponentially more expensive than ours...but guess what? he earns exponentially more money than we do, too.

i just think tmz is trying to make something out of nothing on this one.

Grouch

He's an idiot who was lucky to be born with the right uncle.

janalal4

test

Janice

What person in their right mind needs all these homes? What does he do, just fly around all day to visit his properties? It is called greed, and greed will get you nothing! Maybe he should let the Haitian homeless move into his castles. Then we just might care about him. Stupid fool no-talent bald person.

MaeQueen

Cage will do what all workers gotta do --- go to WORK and sell all his STUFF...duh. Don't cry for Cage, after all, alot of people don't even have one home.

Hey, I know -- he could jet all the homeless Haitians here to stay in his fifteen palaces while their homeland is being rebuilt.

Bob

Must be an Obama democrat, they never pay taxes until forced to. It's not fair. How will I get my food stamps and free medical care and all if these celebs don't pay up big time? I wants my freebies so I can go see their movies and eat steak. And they need to pay for it!!!

stonecold

I'll tell you how he can pay up. JAIL TIME...

| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments